• 1(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
watch gallery

Kodi Installation: http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kod...Android_TV

Kodi Wiki Page: http://kodi.wiki/view/Nvidia_SHIELD_Android_TV

Nvidia Blog post:
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/05/28/...available/

Shield Android TV forum:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/
Shield specific, gaming and Android TV questions should be asked there.

See also: nVidia Shield TV (2015 & 2017 Models) Thread for hardware specifics, known issues and other notes.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHIELD Android TV Software Upgrade 5.1 (Released 2/17/17)
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...shield-tv/

• Adds Amazon Video app enhancements for surround sound pass-through, remote control responsiveness, and resolves cases of blank display for HDR playback.
• Adds support for Encrypted VP9 with subsampling.
• Delivers v1.02 firmware update for the new SHIELD controller. Fixes responsiveness when waking SHIELD from sleep, resolves issues when updating the controller while connected via USB, and fixes IR setup issues.
• Delivers v1.05 firmware update for the new SHIELD TV (16GB) when paired with SHIELD remote. Update fixes issues with battery level reporting.
• Delivers v1.06 firmware update for the new SHIELD TV (16GB) when paired with SHIELD remote with headset jack accessory. Update fixes responsiveness when resuming from sleep.
• Fixes instances of SHIELD restarting when connected to Wi-Fi with location services disabled for certain EU regions.
• Fixes rare cases of random system restarts.
• Fixed cases of reduced system and gaming performance due to reduced available memory after using certain video apps.
• Fixes cases of no surround audio from some sound bars when using EAC3 audio pass-through.
• Fixes cases where USB drives were incorrectly being reported as slow when adopting storage.
• Fixes cases where HDR capability was incorrectly showing in Netflix for non-HDR TVs.
• Fixes an issue with 2TB+ hard drives that would show half the available storage when the drive is moved from adopted (internal) storage back to removable storage.
• Updates Google Play Store version to resolve issues of apps not automatically updating.
• Added network option to disable IPv6 to resolve cases of Ethernet connection dropping or not working.
• Fixes cases of black screen after Upgrade 5.0 for cases where the TV EDID is blank or HDMI cable is bad. Although SHIELD now returns to a safe resolution, we recommend customers check their HDMI cable to ensure it is able to deliver the full resolution supported by their TV.
• Fixes cases of the setting for SHIELD storage access over local network disappearing for German language setting.
• Fixes cases of BBC apps missing in UK.
• Fixes cases where Network Attached Storage mounting stops working when SHIELD is set to some EU languages.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SHIELD Android TV Software Upgrade 5.0.2 for 2015 Shields (Released 1/26/17)
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...eld-2015-/

See Release Notes for "Software Upgrade 5.0 & 5.0.1"

SHIELD Android TV Software Upgrade 5.0.1 (Released 1/18/17)

No release notes at this time.

Quote:This update contains general stability and performance enhancements, including a SHIELD accessories update. Customers can update at their convenience. After the update, look for and install the new SHIELD accessories update from the recommendation row.

SHIELD Android TV Software Upgrade 5.0 (Released 1/16/17)

Android 7.0 Nougat Upgrade
SHIELD just got upgraded to Google’s latest Android 7.0 operating system. Enhanced features include:
• Recent apps page: Double-press the home button to quickly access recent apps.
• Picture-in-picture support: Try it out today in supported apps like Live Channels.
• New settings menu: Enjoy quicker navigation with the new right-side vertical settings menus.

Nest
View live video from your Nest Cams with the new Nest app on SHIELD. With Nest Aware, you can even watch each camera’s video history.

GameStream in 4K HDR
NVIDIA GameStream has been upgraded to provide 4K HDR, as well as smoother, lower-latency streaming. Play your library of PC games and enjoy direct access to Steam Big Picture from the Steam app.

GeForce NOW Performance Upgrade
Now, you can instantly play on-demand PC games with performance up to GeForce GTX 1080 gaming graphics in the cloud.

NVIDIA Games App
NVIDIA Games is the new way to find and play a huge library of amazing games on SHIELD. Here, you can access GeForce NOW games, exclusive Android games, and NVIDIA GameStream games. Plus, all the games that you install or play will now show up in the games row on the SHIELD home screen.

NVIDIA Games replaces the former SHIELD Hub app and its associated home screen tiles (SHIELD games, GeForce NOW, and GameStream). This update will be a staged rollout and will happen over the next few weeks via app update on the Google Play Store.

Amazon Video
Stream thousands of popular movies and TV shows in up to 4K HDR. Watch exclusive Amazon originals like The Grand Tour with an Amazon Prime Membership.

Other Enhancements
• Added Pause/Play button functionality on the SHIELD remote by double-tapping on the volume slider.
• Added ability to write to attached USB or SD card storage.
• Added 4.1, 6.1, and 8.1 speaker configurations for Plex.
• Enabled cast for HBO GO.

CHANGELOG for all software updates can be found HERE

TVHZ app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...fire.tv.hz

Kodi Shield Development page and Test Builds:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228361

Logitech Harmony Remote Setup: http://support-shield.nvidia.com/android..._Setup.htm

Logitech Harmony Smart Control Hub Setup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/erx97tdbuzpt9g...9.pdf?dl=0

Installation Utlity: Nvidia Shield TV Utility App (created by imtiajmeah)
GUI app to easily sideload your apks to the Nvidia Shield TV via USB or over the Network.
  1. Unzip the folders to "C:\NSTV"
  2. Launch app "Nvidia Shield TV Utility App.exe"

Taking Screenshots and Video Capture
To take a screenshot or make a video of what is being displayed, press & hold the "O" button on the controller or remote.

If you make a video capture, it will record (as an mp4) both the video (as h.264) and audio (as 2 channel AAC) of what every is being displayed, including video being played on Kodi.

Also if you have ES File Explore installed (this may work with other file managers, but is untested) you can upload the screenshot or video directly to any location that ES has access to.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Issues so far:

1) No passthrough option for Audio Output. Not sure if that's because of the 1.1 upgrade or because I installed 14.2 Release first, and then upgraded to 15.0 Beta 1.

That option was there in the Anandech review here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9289/the-n...v-review/6

2) Kodi crashes if you go to System Info and then scroll down to Storage. All other tabs under System Info work ok.

3) Remote via HTTP doesn't work. Teste both Kore and Yatse. Both of them complain that username/password is wrong, and I have verified multiple times.

JSON-RPC test succeeds, but EventServer doesn't.
Did you change the "Settings level"?

You have to change it to Advanced or Expert.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
yes Smile
Looks like uninstalling it and reinstalling 15.0 Beta 1 fixed 1) and 3).

Happy camper here Smile
@commiespy Is 2) still an issue for you? Works for me...
Did you try the build in OP?
I noticed the only deinterlacing available is bob and inverted bob (just like on the Razer Forge). 1080i channels on HDHomerun's Live TV Kodi addon is very ... flashy. Is that bad deinterlacing? Of course HDHomerun's android app is even worse to use and the Live Channels app won't work without a mpeg2 license.
will be getting my shield on Monday and i am quite excited... Is Koying the Dev of SPMC? If so will SPMC be more optimized for Shield in the Future than Kodi? Or is Kodi still the way to go?
I liked using SPMC for my Orbsmart S82 Box previously.
(2015-05-30, 10:10)Koying Wrote: @commiespy Is 2) still an issue for you? Works for me...
Did you try the build in OP?

Just received mine today and tested and 2) is working for me with the test build.

(2015-05-30, 21:55)busta.rhymes Wrote: will be getting my shield on Monday and i am quite excited... Is Koying the Dev of SPMC? If so will SPMC be more optimized for Shield in the Future than Kodi? Or is Kodi still the way to go?
I liked using SPMC for my Orbsmart S82 Box previously.

Yes, Koying = SPMC.

So, as I said I received mine today. Setup was painless (except for hitting my head on the corner of the TV), as was updating to 1.1. The only real problem that I had was getting the wired network working, but I think that was something I did (like forgetting to plug in the cable before I booted the first time).

Installing the Kodi test build was pretty painless also. To install, Go to the Google Play Store on your PC and install ES File Explorer. For some reason ES doesn't show up if you go to the Play Store on the Shield, but it will install if you do it from your PC.

Then download the above test build to your PC and copy it to a USB drive, microSD card or to a share on your network. Then open ES File Explorer, navigate to where you have saved the .apk and install.

This is probably the easiest way to install and update Kodi or any sideload apps.

Kodi is running pretty well, framerate switching is working, although it appears to only output 24fps (the 23.976 purest can see HERE).

Speed seems pretty good, navigation is fast even with running Aeon Nox 4 (Shednox) skin. It may not be quite as fast as my Chromebox, but it is pretty close.

The only real problem that I have is a problem with DTS/AC3 pass-through. For some reason Kodi on Android does not like my Denon AVR, because with every Android device I've tried I have to manually switch the decode mode on the AVR to get pass-through to work (I don't have any issues on the CB). The Shield is actually worse than my AFTV since with it I could at the least switch the decode mode to DTS then back to Auto and it would be fine until I closed Kodi. With the Shield I've had to switch it with every video. Thankfully though, at least multi-channel PCM works and I really don't care were the audio is decoded as long as it sounds the same.

I would caution everyone though, that it still pretty early the development for this box, so don't expect to hook it up and have a perfect Kodi experience, but I'm sure that things will get better. As well, it I have high hopes for this box since it does appear that Nvidia has taken some interest in making the Shield the best Kodi box it could be, even making a Kodi thread a sticky in their forums.
Does the test build decode HD audio like the raspberry pi2 builds do? Or just the DTS core track of the DTS-HD MA track?
Just DTS and AC3 right now. But this only the first test build, and I think this one was only to get frame rate switching working.
Sorry for cross posting but, here is my feedback from the other thread:

Kodi installed fine using: kodi-20150523-361579b-shield-armeabi-v7a.apk

Two issues:

1) The colors area all washed out. I think it's because of RGB colorspace. Anybody know how to change it to YCbCr?

2) Video stutters every 9 seconds or so for 23.976 H.264 content.
iMac, Pioneer Elite PRO 141FD, Denon 4311CI, Synology DS509+, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Logitech Harmony Home Control, nVIDIA Shield Android TV
(2015-05-31, 02:48)Kris404 Wrote: Sorry for cross posting but, here is my feedback from the other thread:

Kodi installed fine using: kodi-20150523-361579b-shield-armeabi-v7a.apk

Two issues:

1) The colors area all washed out. I think it's because of RGB colorspace. Anybody know how to change it to YCbCr?

2) Video stutters every 9 seconds or so for 23.976 H.264 content.

1) I haven't really seen any issues with the colors being washed out. In that respect it looks the same as my Chromebox. Not to say your not seeing it, but I can't confirm and as for changing to YCbCr, I'm not sure if you can on Android.

2) What's your playback settings. Do you have "Adjust frame refresh rate" set?
(2015-05-31, 03:01)Tinwarble Wrote: 2) What's your playback settings. Do you have "Adjust frame refresh rate" set?

Yes, I have it set to adjust refresh rate 'On/Off' (also tried toggling Windowed mode)

Do I have to set it to 24Hz using TVHz app first?
iMac, Pioneer Elite PRO 141FD, Denon 4311CI, Synology DS509+, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Logitech Harmony Home Control, nVIDIA Shield Android TV
Try Koying's latest test build:

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/andr...bi-v7a.apk
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6