New home setup
I just recently moved into a new home and have finally been able to get a much nicer looking setup than I previously had. Here is a quick rundown of my new setup:

Equipment:

Samsung UN55F7500
Yamaha RX-V573
Klipsch RC-52 center speaker
Klipsch RB-62 front surround speakers
Energy Rear speakers
HTPC running Windows 7 and Kodi 14.2
Logitech Harmony Smart control remote
Logitech K400 Keyboard
15tB Unraid Server for content
BIC America F12 subwoofer

I currently have all of my equipment in the basement right below the living room. I'm using the Harmony smart remote to control the system including the recessed lighting using python scripts and Eventghost to send commands to the Hue lights. I also have a DIY ambilight setup using the boblight Kodi add on, some LED strips and an Arduino. The front speaker stands also double as cat scratching posts.
watch gallery
Very nice and clean, congrats on the setup, +1 for keeping things out of sight Tongue
+2 for the scratching posts - brilliant!
(2015-06-01, 15:13)k4sh1n Wrote: Very nice and clean, congrats on the setup, +1 for keeping things out of sight Tongue

Thanks! I'm still working on coming up with some kind of stand to replace the black one for the center speaker. I need something smaller and maybe a bit taller that can make it look a little cleaner.

(2015-06-02, 05:56)crackers Wrote: +2 for the scratching posts - brilliant!

Thanks! I happened to be making the speaker stands at the same time I got the cat and as I was looking at scratching posts I realized that I could just combine the two.
(2015-06-03, 04:45)mockranouse Wrote: Thanks! I'm still working on coming up with some kind of stand to replace the black one for the center speaker. I need something smaller and maybe a bit taller that can make it look a little cleaner.

Can't you just wall-mount it? One of these little square IKEA "Lack" shelves would also be a clean solution I think. Or just put the subwoofer in the middle and the center on top. Smile
Wink 
(2015-06-03, 15:01)Doc.Ex Wrote: Can't you just wall-mount it? One of these little square IKEA "Lack" shelves would also be a clean solution I think. Or just put the subwoofer in the middle and the center on top. Smile

The problem with wall mounting it is that I still have cords behind that cabinet for power and some misc low voltage wires running through a bracket and into the basement so I do need something there. the subwoofer idea isn't bad though, I'll have to play around with that tonight and see if I can't make something work with that. The only problems that I can see with that are whether the center speaker would affect the subwoofer output or the speaker moving around from the bass and whether it would be able to hide all the wires sufficiently. I'll definitely be trying that out tonight though! Big Grin
what are the specs of the unraid server? i am thinking of putting one together
(2015-06-03, 18:39)mockranouse Wrote: the subwoofer idea isn't bad though, I'll have to play around with that tonight and see if I can't make something work with that. The only problems that I can see with that are whether the center speaker would affect the subwoofer output or the speaker moving around from the bass and whether it would be able to hide all the wires sufficiently. I'll definitely be trying that out tonight though! Big Grin

Yeah, I get what you mean.. for the eventual moving speaker problem you could use one of these rubber pads that you put under your washing mashine. I decoupled my subwoofer with one of those and a marble plate from the ground, but I think you could do the same with the center on the subwoofer. Just cut it a little smaller than the speaker itself so you won't really see it.
(2015-06-03, 23:53)pe4nut1989 Wrote: what are the specs of the unraid server? i am thinking of putting one together

My Unraid build is:
Processor: AMD Sempron 145 Sargas
Mobo: ASRock 880GM-LE AM3 AMD 880G
Power supply: CORSAIR CX series CX430 430W
Ram: Kingston Value 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3
Storage: 1x WD 3tB green for parity, 4x WD 2tB green, 1x WD 1tB green, 2x Seagate 2tB, and 1x Hitachi 2tB

I'm currently running Unraid 5.0-rc16c
(2015-06-05, 13:57)Doc.Ex Wrote: Yeah, I get what you mean.. for the eventual moving speaker problem you could use one of these rubber pads that you put under your washing mashine. I decoupled my subwoofer with one of those and a marble plate from the ground, but I think you could do the same with the center on the subwoofer. Just cut it a little smaller than the speaker itself so you won't really see it.

I did try this out and while it doesn't look terrible, it just doesn't look right. The center speaker is about 6 inches wider than the sub so it sticks out on both sides about 3 inches when centered. I will most likely end up building a small table around the sub and speaker that will be smaller than my current one and also a little higher to raise the center channel a little closer to ear height.
Sounds good. Keep us updated! Tongue
Nice speakers by the way. You could also tilt the center a bit upwards to make voices appear a little closer to ear height. To test it just slide a book under the front part of the speaker. Improved the sound on my setup quite a bit. The center isn't as "locatable" as before..
Great looking setup, but the the single best thing has gotta be the scratch post speaker stands. Genius! Cool
(2015-07-27, 22:12)RichMk3 Wrote: Great looking setup, but the the single best thing has gotta be the scratch post speaker stands. Genius! Cool

Thanks! The cat seems to like them too.

I added a couple new pictures of my new arrangement. I tried just the center speaker on the sub and it did not look right and I couldn't deal with it anymore. I moved the sub to the other side of the room and built a little stand for the center speaker out of some scraps I had laying around. I added a piece of drywall to the back painted it the same color as the wall and added a piece of trim to try and keep things as minimal as possible. It's not perfect yet, but it's still much better looking than it was with the big cabinet or with the speaker on the sub.
Very nice, looking even cleaner!
I was thinking maybe a floating shelf for the cen speaker
http://www.ikea.com/aa/en/catalog/products/70186194/

(2015-08-07, 06:02)k4sh1n Wrote: Very nice, looking even cleaner!
I was thinking maybe a floating shelf for the cen speaker

I have thought about going that route, but that would mean I would have to reconfigure everything behind the stand now. I have a power outlet as well as a couple receivers for remotes hidden behind the stand now, which is why I went with the false wall as a back to the stand.

The power supply for my ambilight recently died so I'm going to have to take the tv down to get to it to replace it. Whenever I get around to doing that, I may look into moving everything around and running a new outlet up behind the TV for power so I don't have to have anything plugged in under the TV. I'll probably decide what I actually want to do when I get to that point.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New home setup0