• 5(current)
v15 OSD Erratic Behavior
Fglrx is not supported, you should use the open source drivers.
I wonder if all you guys have some peripheral connected causing this or otherwise something in common with each other aside from Kodi.

=== Please post the following ===

Peripheral connected (Keyboard, mouse, cec adaptor, RF wireless receiver / other) joystick, keypad / other which?

Peripheral types / wired - wireless
- bluetooth - other and which / CEC or LIrc or whatever you are using.

A full complete debug log.

Linux users in addition, pastebin a dmesg and lspci -vnn | pastebinit

=== end request ===

Saying simply that you have same issue is pretty much useless at this stage especially when clearly not happening with all users.
(2015-07-27, 13:12)negge Wrote: Does it say you're not supposed to use it or does it say nothing about it?

sorry, it gives the recommended settings in the chromebox wiki and the million page thread with a ton of info and support that is found in the hardware section

basically, my point is to expect a user to have followed an intel guide found in the linux support forum in this circumstance seems unlikely to say the least.

regardless, i still don't get how everything works perfectly on Helix and is messed up in Isengard. hopefully this change solves the problem for chromebox users at least.
(2015-07-27, 15:25)negge Wrote: Fglrx is not supported, you should use the open source drivers.

i have been running the same setup for years and this problem did not manifest itself until isengard so i have a hard time believing it is solely the graphic driver.
(which i am using due to display switching issues/hdmi with the open source driver)

i dropped back to an earlier post from Ned Scott in this thread that seemed more helpful and have turned off the dirtyregion setting, even though others claimed it did not help and then got
onto the vertical sync issue.

initially (with only a couple hours of testing) the problem has not occurred, although osd response time is noticeably slower.

i will keep trying and post the results

thanx
dave
Since fglrx is larely untested by developers it's not impossible that things break after a new release. Keep in mind that with fglrx you're basically getting no hardware acceleration at all.
It's not only untested. It is officially not supported. Fglrx shall burn in hell. If there are questions to why, it's enough to search for: fglrx xbmc xvba
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
let driver choose for vertical blank sync has fixed the problem for me on a chromebox it seems. a ton of use since mid afternoon sunday with zero problems.
(2015-07-27, 22:19)fromhell.dave Wrote:
(2015-07-27, 15:25)negge Wrote: Fglrx is not supported, you should use the open source drivers.

i have been running the same setup for years and this problem did not manifest itself until isengard so i have a hard time believing it is solely the graphic driver.
(which i am using due to display switching issues/hdmi with the open source driver)

i dropped back to an earlier post from Ned Scott in this thread that seemed more helpful and have turned off the dirtyregion setting, even though others claimed it did not help and then got
onto the vertical sync issue.

initially (with only a couple hours of testing) the problem has not occurred, although osd response time is noticeably slower.

i will keep trying and post the results

thanx
dave

to follow up;
my attempt to revert ubuntu back to the open source driver ended up in a complete new install of ubuntu and kodi
kodi is running normally for 2 days now.
so i am guessing it was either the fglrx driver or possibly an addon.
i will install my addons 1 at a time and keep an eye on it .
if anything rears its ugly head i will report back.
if not, i will hold the blame to the fglx and consider the issue closed.
(btw Fritsch, i understand your comment after seeing the 144 page thread on fglrx.....)
thank you
dave
"Let Driver Choose" is not an option for my Android device (Nexus Player).
I chose Disable(d) and I haven't seen this problem pop up ever since.
(2015-07-31, 17:49)springroll Wrote: "Let Driver Choose" is not an option for my Android device (Nexus Player).
I chose Disable(d) and I haven't seen this problem pop up ever since.

Then you are having a different issue than what is being discussed in this thread. Even if the symptoms are similar.
It could still be the same issue, it's just that different devices need different vsync settings. Why anyone would ever touch these from the (proper) defaults is beyond me.
I am the original poster of this thread and I am running a nvidia card, what settings should I be adjusting?
Im officially unsubscribed from this report thread. Its not possible to even investigate this when reporters and passers by ignore and dont share pertinent information.
Asus chromebox, openelec.

Started with OE5.0.8. As recommended in the wiki vertical blanc sync set to "enabled during video playback". Worked fine. Arctic:Zephyr

Went to the test EGL vaapi build from fritsch, applied the recommended settings which included changing to "let driver choose". This problem then arose. Also video would start in background.

Tried 5.95.3, same problems.

Reverted to 5.0.8 and video started in foreground, but OSD problem persisted.

Deleted guisettings.xml and reset all settings per chromebox page on wiki, also deleted Arctic and reinstalled, in case newer version which installed after switching to isengard was part of problem. Now seems to work fine.

PS I have no unusual dongles attached, just my remote dongle.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Quote:Also video would start in background.

This has nothing to do with the issue here. It's a known EGL issue and documented in the second post of the thread.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSD Erratic Behavior1