• 4(current)
v15 OSD Erratic Behavior
(2015-07-22, 18:45)knives of ice Wrote: sadly, unless i made the advancedsettings file incorrectly this does not fix the problem as today after sitting on overnight it is back with a vengeance.

the problem takes awhile to appear after booting up and i had only a few hours to mess around last night.

maybe (hopefully) my advancedsettings file is bad though. i already had one in there and just made a brand new file with only the new dirty regions settings. the other advancedsettings file gets made by the video extras addon.

You're right, it unfortunately does not solve the problem. Everything worked fine for a couple of hours, but it eventually showed up again...

yep, the spinning circle even though the video was playing was the first thing i saw to notice it didn't work.

played a youtube video that played back the entire 5 minute video and the playing/buffering spinning circle never went away. then went in and played some movies, press pause hit play the movie plays but the pause info won't go away just like before.
I can confirm that the dirty regions setting did not fix the issue for me either
(2015-07-22, 04:04)Ned Scott Wrote: See if this happens with the following advancedsettings.xml (wiki) file, which should disable dirty regions rendering:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
    <nofliptimeout>-1</nofliptimeout>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>

is there anything more we can try or any more info you need from users that have the problem?

thanks
Devs are looking into it. We'll keep you guys updated.
Just want to throw my hat in the ring with the same problem. It's particularly bad with streaming services (like VEVO, Youtube, etc) but will happen with all movies.

Also an ASUS Chromebox running a beta version of Openelec/Kodi.

I use an IR Receiver for my primary remote, however when this problem happens it's nearly impossible to navigate when watching a movie because pressing the button that usually brings up the play/pause/settings overlay will typically do nothing until you refresh the screen (press button again forcing it to pause, or press pause button, etc), then if you try and open the audio or video configuration screens they don't show up (but you can tell they are there, if I press the button to change something it changes even though I can't see it).

Then the inverse happens, if I manage to get the overlay screen to show (by pausing/playing video), when I return out of it it stays there. I have found the Kodi app on android to be more reliable since I can make changes directly (like audio source, etc) without using the OSD on Kodi.

Some troubleshooting I've found:

Completely Disabling Vertical Blank Sync eliminates the problem, however now there is severe tearing in my movies when I watch them.

Setting Vertical Blank Sync to Enabled makes the problem worse, because now it starts happening when I'm *not* watching a movie, it happens in the primary menu screens. This makes it *very* hard to get back to a usable configuration because you can't even scroll up or down in menu's, your blue highlighted line just goes off screen and you get to guess on what you're selecting.

Changing Various Refresh Rates doesn't appear to have an affect.

It's as if when Vertical Blank Sync is enabled the menu's "stick" in place and the whole screen doesn't refresh like it should. Most people run with "Enabled during video playback", so the problem is only noticeable when a Movie or Stream is playing, however if you force enable VBS you'll see it all the time and things get *real* "exciting."
What happens with vsync set to "let driver choose"?
I have made the change and will let you know.

I hadn't risked it before because it required a restart and I was a little nervous it would screw up the menu's and be a pain to fix it. But, so far, Menu's are fine and the Movies aren't tearing, but I did just restart and as the other guys noted it tends to get worse over time so I'll write back either way after I've used it for a day or so.
Well, so far still working for me.

Why would that make a difference? I mean, Letting the Driver choose I would expect to still get the same behavior as either "on" or "off" wouldn't I?
(2015-07-26, 19:26)fatalsaint Wrote: Well, so far still working for me.

Why would that make a difference? I mean, Letting the Driver choose I would expect to still get the same behavior as either "on" or "off" wouldn't I?

awesome gonna load back up 15 and try it out.

yep....this looks very promising thus far been trying this out all day and tonight with no glitches yet.
(2015-07-26, 19:55)knives of ice Wrote: yep....this looks very promising thus far been trying this out all day and tonight with no glitches yet.

Same, going on two days now and it seems OK. Such a strange fix.
The Intel guides in the Linux support forum specifically state that for Intel hardware you should always use Ler driver choose. Let's hope it keeps working for you!
(2015-07-27, 08:26)negge Wrote: The Intel guides in the Linux support forum specifically state that for Intel hardware you should always use Ler driver choose. Let's hope it keeps working for you!

yep no problems still all night and afternoon with heavy use.

the thing is, i was just following the chromebox wiki which stated not to use that setting and very few people have this issue. also there are others in this thread many using different non intel hardware.

not sure why it was an issue for some of us when the vast majority didn't have the issue.
Does it say you're not supposed to use it or does it say nothing about it?
hello
i am experiencing the same prolems as described in this thread.
this is on a ubuntu 15.04 64 bit box with AMD mb and amd a6-5400 on board graphics.
running the ubuntu additional drivers fglrx proprietary-updates

i notice it mostly when watching live tv and then switching to a video or vice-versa.
the skin gets corrupted, remote either does nothing or something it shouldn't (like it is selecting a corrupted command)
sometimes the home screen will come back and be semi functional.
most times i have to open a terminal and kill kodi.

the vertical blank sync is set to "let driver choose" which i believe is the default installed option.

this is a completely fresh install of isengard (completely purged helix and installed isengard)
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSD Erratic Behavior1