• 7(current)
v15 OSD Erratic Behavior
I've been having the same problem for at least a year, and have just been living with it. Finally got fed up and found this thread.

When I first start Kodi, everything works normal. But, the longer Kodi is on, whether I'm watching shows or it sits idle, the less responsive the OSD becomes. At first, it will display and autohide like normal (instant display, autohide after appx 5 seconds. But, the longer it is on, the longer it takes for the autohide to happen. It can take 15, 60, 240 seconds before it finally goes away. Hitting escape does not always cause it to vanish. Finally, if it is on for too long, all the controls just go unresponsive. I can't even pause, stop, etc and have to bring up Task Manager and end the Kodi process just to exit.

Sometimes the mouse cursor hides, sometimes it doesn't. When this starts to happen, if I press escape, it almost always locks the OSD and controls. Sometimes I also can't get the OSD to come up by moving the mouse and have to press M or the spacebar (and pause) to get it to show.

If I immediately restart Kodi, the problems still exist. I need to reboot the computer for it to actually go away. Although sometimes, if I wait several hours and restart Kodi, it works normal again for a while.

Kodi Version: 16.0 Git:20160220-a5f3a99
Skin: Confluence
Windows Version: 10 Pro 64
CPU: AMD Anthlon II X3 450 3.20GHz
RAM: 6GB

Debug Log: http://goo.gl/jeDSSP

EDIT: One of the suggestions in this thread was to disable vsync. I just turned it off now and things seem to be working normally. I can test this for a few days and post back an update.
Vsync off does make the problem go away for me on Win 10, but, the problem is then I get a lot of vertical tearing with certain content.
One thing I noticed while trying to debug this issue is that it happens when I have the bluetooth dongle connected to a bluetooth keyboard. If I switch to a wired usb keyboard the problem disappears.

You might want to try with a wired keyboard for a few days just to see if it makes a difference.
I had the same OSD problem in KODI 15 and still persist in 16.1

My hardware is a HTPC Asus S1 with Nvidia ION2 with 4GB Ram
Windows 7

I have the same symptons described by other members of this forum.
OSD became unestable after some hours.
I tried:
Fresh installs
IR Remote
Wireless keyboard
Wireless Remote
(None bluetooth)

The key is Vertical Blank Sync:
Disabled = No OSD problems, seems great...but no, terrible tearing during playback. Not a good solution.
Enabled during playback = No tearing at all, but OSD problems as described in this thread.
Always enabled = interface / OSD problems during playback and also just navigating in the KODI interface.

If I restart KODI the problem solves, but later begin again.

Any idea?
Thanks!
I am aware of no Windows solution. Wish there was. I now shut down Kodi except when I wish to use it as I cannot keep it running since, well, you know what happens after some time.
(2016-08-25, 00:54)Beldis Wrote: I had the same OSD problem in KODI 15 and still persist in 16.1

My hardware is a HTPC Asus S1 with Nvidia ION2 with 4GB Ram
Windows 7

I have the same symptons described by other members of this forum.
OSD became unestable after some hours.
I tried:
Fresh installs
IR Remote
Wireless keyboard
Wireless Remote
(None bluetooth)

The key is Vertical Blank Sync:
Disabled = No OSD problems, seems great...but no, terrible tearing during playback. Not a good solution.
Enabled during playback = No tearing at all, but OSD problems as described in this thread.
Always enabled = interface / OSD problems during playback and also just navigating in the KODI interface.

If I restart KODI the problem solves, but later begin again.

Any idea?
Thanks!

Hi. I have the same issue and behavior! Mac Mini mid 2010, OSX 10.11.6, Kodi 16.1, HDMI A/V output=>receiver=>TV. I'm ready to give the logs and help with anything if there is any problem solver...
Mac Mini (2012),  2,3Ghz, i7, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3,  macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Windows 10. Ext HDD 4TB (USB 3.0) ExFAT NTFS, . Kodi 18.3 (compiled 2019-06-28). 
16 is eol
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Is 17 beta fixing this?
Mac Mini (2012),  2,3Ghz, i7, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3,  macOS Mojave 10.14.5 Windows 10. Ext HDD 4TB (USB 3.0) ExFAT NTFS, . Kodi 18.3 (compiled 2019-06-28). 
No idea - i could never reproduce the issue - so tell us.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
So Im back: I already installed Kodi 17 and the problem is even bigger :/

You will find more details here - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=287746
I noticed that the problem disappeared when I switched to a USB wired keyboard. I think the wireless setup is related because there are multiple reports mentioning it.

Eventually, I got it working with the bluetooth dongle by formatting the PC and reinstalling Ubuntu 14.04 following the step-by-step guide Linux - Radeon OSS with vdpau (howto). (I was using fglrx before so this might be related).

Now it works fine with Ubuntu 14.04, Radeon OSS drivers and a wireless keyboard with a bluetooth dongle.

--

I would suggest two things to help troubleshoot this:
a) Switch the wireless keyboard with a wired one for a few days, see if the issue persists.
b) For those using Linux make sure you use a supported setup such as Radeon OSS drivers instead of Fglrx etc.
Don't have *any* keyboard, headless.
I'm running a headless mac and also have this issue. Like the poster above I've had this issue for about a year and was just living with it. The only solution that I found on this thread that works is to disable vsync. Running vsync test videos off youtube does show tearing though. Using a Mac Mini with Intel HD 4000.
Update: Turning VSYNC to "Always Enabled" has fixed the issue for me. I'm guessing it was the switching back and forth, perhaps when the screensaver was started (I use a fanart picture slideshow). As another nice bonus my ide cpu has dropped from 80-150% to ~5%. What I don't understand is what made the issue happen. It would start out great, but after a few hours the OSD would become unmanageable.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSD Erratic Behavior1