No Sound with Pulseaudio anymore
Setting the PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC variable was a fix I sometimes applied to Wine to get rid of crackling, but for Kodi it has no effect.
Regarding libcec2, I don't have an official package here. There's one in the user repository, but do I really need it? I don't have an IR remote.
Just try it, package is called libcec - and we try to load that module.

I got another arch user testing ... and everything works as it should ... had two PA devs review the code once more -> also everything fine. All ideas you have tested.

Edit: One thing comes to my mind: did you compile PA with a different compiler than kodi?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'll try.
And yes, I probably compiled Kodi with a different compiler (clang) than Pulseaudio (gcc I guess, didn't compile it myself), but since I only compile Kodi at all to apply your patches, I guess it shouldn't be the root cause. For normal daily use I use the pre-compiled binaries from the repos for both PA and Kodi.
Compiled Kodi and Pulse with the same compliler just now, no patches applied, same issue. Acer V5-573G laptop, i5-4200U, Intel onboard HDA sound.

Kodi log: http://xbmclogs.com/pdbgsylyi
pactl list: http://xbmclogs.com/pikoql802

ALSA works fine.

Edit: this is on vanilla Arch testing (not Chakra)

Edit2: compiler info:
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/5.1.0/lto-wrapper
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
Configured with: /build/gcc-multilib/src/gcc-5-20150519/configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=https://bugs.archlinux.org/ --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,fortran,go,lto,objc,obj-c++ --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-libmpx --with-system-zlib --with-isl --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-clocale=gnu --disable-libstdcxx-pch --disable-libssp --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id --enable-lto --enable-plugin --enable-install-libiberty --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-gnu-indirect-function --enable-multilib --disable-werror --enable-checking=release --with-default-libstdcxx-abi=c++98
Thread model: posix
gcc version 5.1.0 (GCC)

Edit3: I'll try to be on IRC as much as I can and maybe dig through the source code a bit tomorrow.
@K900: Yeah, looks absolutely the same.

As already stated yesterday I have no idea. The other Arch users (JackWinter in #pulseaudio channel) made tests for me, without any problems.Please also provide the pulseaudio -vvv logs.

From what I see - the transition from kodi to PA goes fully wrong.

Btw. the difference I see is very clear, on Ubuntu I get:

Quote:fritsch@t440s:~$ pactl list sinks |grep -i fragment
device.buffering.fragment_size = "32768"
device.buffering.fragment_size = "32768"
fritsch@t440s:~$ pactl list sinks |grep -i buffer_size
device.buffering.buffer_size = "65536"
device.buffering.buffer_size = "65536"

This is 10 times more than you have with default config. Any idea, why? Is this some "low latency" mode?

Edit: Can you both try without kde, please?

E.g. just start Xserver and pulseaudio and then see what you get with kodi?

Edit2: Here is my pulseaudio --dump-conf http://sprunge.us/BSLA

Can you compare with yours?

Edit2: Forget about the buffer stuff. I added tsched=0 on my setup and now I get _your_ numbers, but kodi is still working.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Please recompile arch's pulseaudio with this patch: http://xbmclogs.com/pm2q2y6fd

That way we can see what is happening under the hood, thx much in advance.
Diffed my Pulse configuration with yours: this is all I have:
Code:
-deferred-volume-safety-margin-usec = 1 (yours)
+deferred-volume-safety-margin-usec = 8000 (mine)

Going to try the patch now.
We found out on IRC, that setting PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC is the culprit. Running with: PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=scheisshaus ./kodi.bin should make it work for you.
scheisshaus <- just something that cannot be parsed to an integer
Not setting it at all is also a valid option.
Hi, sorry that I haven't answered this thread for a few days. I was very busy.
I tried setting PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC to a bullshit value and it worked. Simply not setting it at all didn't work, but "scheisshaus" did the job. Do you still want me to try on a stick Ubuntu? If so, I'll hopefully be able to do that over the weekend.
Nope. Thx much. This gets fixed by upstream PA.
Great.
Thanks again for all your help and effort.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Sound with Pulseaudio anymore0