• 5(current)
Intel Braswell boxes compilation
(2015-08-04, 13:16)pr0xZen Wrote:
(2015-07-13, 21:48)wanthd Wrote:
(2015-07-13, 21:02)Matt Devo Wrote: marketing jibberish. Braswell bitstreams HD audio just fine, many people have tested it

Braswell can passthrough HD Audio (DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD) even on Windows 8.1?
Passthrough HD Audio didn't work on old baytrail (J1900/J2900) on Windows 8.1.

I'm interested in buy a Asrock N3150-ITX, but i have this doubt about the HD Audio.

This (DTS-HD, DD+ passthrough in Win 8.x) - was a Protected Audio Path issue. Netflix relies on it for DD+ passthrough, so does Win 8.x for DTS-HD. After about a year of fiddling, Intel coughed up the explanation; The DN2820 was set up to rely on Intel Management Engine for PAP. But they left out the HW to support the IME.

A large group of users reported finally getting passthrough working after Intel Trusted Execution Engine took over for IME - BUT it also includes (or included - this might have been sorted in recent driver updates) installing GFX drivers 10.18.10.3958 - intended for the D34010WYK(H). See Intel support thread here .

Seeing how they got the ball rolling, I don't really see why DTS-HD passthrough shouldn't be supported with the new NUCs. Just make sure Intel Trusted Execution is actually enabled in bios, and the device is running fine in Windows. I'm not sure if it requires UEFI boot, but I would most definitely believe so.

@nickr - please ease up the seemingly endless prodding of Windows and its usage. Millions of Kodi users run Kodi off Windows, and they all have their own reasons. You're a linux guy - great! Just please don't knock everything else in this manner, its degrading to what still remains the largest userbase-platform for Kodi.

You seem to be quite sure regarding a proprietary driver that was made for an old hw revision. I would not buy this hw until it fully works in windows ... cause - in comparison to linux, where we hacked the HD audio support ourselves - you don't have a single chance to do something yourself in those binary blobs.

And until that happens: I warn everybody, that if you need windows and HD audio passthrough - wait. One can never trust that binary releases will be made.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-08-04, 13:22)fritsch Wrote: You seem to be quite sure regarding a proprietary driver that was made for an old hw revision. I would not buy this hw until it fully works in windows ... cause - in comparison to linux, where we hacked the HD audio support ourselves - you don't have a single chance to do something yourself in those binary blobs.

And until that happens: I warn everybody, that if you need windows and HD audio passthrough - wait. One can never trust that binary releases will be made.

I'm not certain of anything as I currently don't have a HDMI capable AVR to confirm/debunk with - I'm simply relaying other confirmations and Intels intel (slight pun intended). I did A LOT of reasearch on this issue, but I can't apply that to the NUC5CPYH. But lets face it, the Braswell boards aren't just a minor revision, they're a new product. What we do know is that Intel changed their PAP method, and the DN2820 kind of fell between the gaps. Intels TXT has been in use for quite some time now, but it still has to be activated and loaded (And that likely means an UEFI Win8.x install - AFAIK you can't just change this after OS install and expect it to work).

What would really great, is if some of those here already sporting the Braswell + Win 8.x / 10 platform (and HDMI connectivity), could go through the Trusted Execution checkpoints (Bios, drivers, confirm device runing etc) - test DTS-HD passthrough and report back.

I completely agree though - if lack of DTS-HD passthrough is a dealbreaker, wait for confirmation or go a different route.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
I would be happy to test if a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OEM license didn't cost more than the NUC5CPYH did.
(2015-08-04, 20:40)naloj Wrote: I would be happy to test if a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OEM license didn't cost more than the NUC5CPYH did.

Personally I've bought Windows 7 license for approximately $15 from eBay (here in Europe it is illegal to restrict the resale of software including OEM versions so German/UK eBay are full of vendors selling licenses for small money) and just use the free upgrade to Windows 10.

I know you have to be extra cautious when buying from eBay, but so far I've gotten 3 Win7 licenses (and the stickers that are pulled off from some old laptops that went to junkyard) that have been fine. Activation has been ok and Microsoft says they're genuine OEM licenses.

I'd test this myself, but I don't have a capable receiver to test this.
I can test but not till the weekend
(2015-08-04, 20:55)xxr2hxx Wrote: I can test but not till the weekend
We'll be waiting for your feedback.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
have a look at my test NUC5CPYH passthrough audio on Windows 10 64 bit on Intel Community

https://communities.intel.com/message/320223
Gigabyte has added the GB-BACE-3000 and the GB-BACE-3150 to their website. The former is fanless while the latter isn't.

First post updated.
Just FYI, the NUC5CPYH / NUC5PPYH Product spec pdf appears to be incorrect with respect to SATA speed:

Quote:The SoC provides one SATA port with a theoretical maximum transfer rate of 3 Gb/s. A point-to-point
interface is used for host to device connections.

But it looks like 6 Gb/s works fine:

Quote:[ 0.688956] ahci 0000:00:13.0: AHCI 0001.0301 32 slots 2 ports 6 Gbps 0x3 impl SATA mode
[ 1.008395] ata1: SATA link up 6.0 Gbps (SStatus 133 SControl 300)

I was excited to have AES-NI finally but it's not fast enough to keep up with a drive like the 850 EVO (540 MB/s seq read; 520 MB/s seq write):

Quote:# Algorithm | Key | Encryption | Decryption
aes-cbc 128b 274.7 MiB/s 380.4 MiB/s (N3150)
aes-cbc 128b 296.3 MiB/s 413.0 MiB/s (N3050)
aes-cbc 128b 325.6 MiB/s 452.0 MiB/s (N3700)

Haswell i5 nuc by comparison:

Quote: aes-cbc 128b 504.1 MiB/s 2162.2 MiB/s (4250U)
Added technikaffe.de's NUC5PPYH (Pentium N3700) review to the first post (translation).
Psst: https://github.com/FernetMenta/FFmpeg/co...9e44385a91 <- only watching(!) not spamming - thx.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Nod
Another review linked to from the AsRock product page itself

http://www.eteknix.com/asrock-n3150-bras...nd-review/
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
(2015-08-14, 08:57)xexe Wrote: Another review linked to from the AsRock product page itself

http://www.eteknix.com/asrock-n3150-bras...nd-review/

Well, thanks, but nothing regarding video playing or Kodi related Confused
As I said its AsRock recommended review. I am sure Kodi feedback will come with time. A couple of people in #openelec have one this MB and Beebox. Early days YMMV
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Braswell boxes compilation3