• 2(current)
Solved can not send private message? who knows?
(2015-06-15, 23:53)Ned Scott Wrote: Within a few days we were getting multiple reports of different users sending 90+ spam PMs. These were accounts with zero posts and mods can't see what they do. We had to wait for users to report the issue to us. This forces the spambots to make public posts, which makes them far easier to catch when they make fake "padding" messages to get the required 10 posts.

Since this is only meant to catch spambots, maybe we can have a way for normal mods to manually grant PM access, as needed. That way someone can skip the 10 post waiting period when a mod can confirm that they are human. I do a similar thing on the wiki.

Ahhh so your plan was to have them padd posts... gotcha...
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
Some of them will attempt padding, and that will expose them to moderators where they can be banned. Sometimes it just flat out stops them. Either way, until we have a better way to deal with PM spam this is what we're doing.

As for why we can't blacklist banned add-on names, that won't really work, at least not with a huge chunk of them. They contain common words like genesis, or 1 channel, which can easily be a false trigger. Xfinity is also the name Comcast gives to their TV service, and a lot of people ask how they can watch xfinity with Kodi and they're talking about cable card tuners.

I've actually suggested a one-time-popup that could be dismissed that was based on keywords, but the idea wasn't well received and we don't know of a MyBB plug-in that does this.
Maybe this?
http://mods.mybb.com/view/mybb-captchapack
or
http://mods.mybb.com/view/recaptcha

Sorry if this is not it, I'm working with limited knowledge on the inner workings of running a forum.
We already use captcha's and hidden questions.
Nowadays cheap services are available where real humans register loads of accounts using proxies.

You then buy the accounts from them, to use for spamming. This effectively works around captcha's.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge "Kib", didn't even know person/s/.... payed for registered accounts to bot/spam on forums.
Feel free to ignore the prior post

Excerpt from wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam

Quote:Effects of forum spam

Spam prevention and deletions measurably increase the workload of forum administrators and moderators. The amount of time and resources spent keeping a forum spam free contributes significantly to labor cost and the skill required in the running of a public forum. Marginally profitable or smaller forums may be permanently closed by administrators.

The restrictions/user-post-quota's aid the works that the forum mods & admins undertake, IMO I'm confused with the amount of 'butt hurt' the minor amendment has generated.
As a dev here I welcome the limitation as users tends to PM directly for support and it's not good.

But I also face the case where users want to send private logs and can be blocked.

I redirect them to my website but then they need to create a new account so more work for them as they already took time to register here for support.

Hard choice indeed Smile
OK, as a brand new user to Kodi forum, I came here specifically to figure out how to turn donor functions on for Pseudotv Live. Lunatixz says specifically in his post that after you donate you have to PM him on here with your PP email that you donated from etc. and he will send the login info to unlock that feature. He also states that he wont accept any other form of communication, no email no nada. I had no other reason to be on this forum than to read up on PseudoTV Live and get the donor function stuff. Now I am still unable to PM lunatixz after some 11 random posts. Its situations like this that the lock on PM's is absolutely retarded.
Lunatixz, if you see this, I did send you an email, and im sorry for having to do so, but it is currently impossible for me to send you a PM on this forum.
Not. our. problem. If you are only here to get something you've paid for regarding PseduoTV then you do not belong here. We allow limited linking of donation links, but actual business transactions should not be taking place here. This is the support forum for Kodi. Period.

Anyone else who complains about not being able to PM, even after having read our reason for this situation, gets a temp ban. Our forum admins are already talking about removing PMs globally, and I'm going to be really pissed off if that happens just because of the damn PseudoTV PM shit.
(2015-07-12, 06:27)Ned Scott Wrote: Not. our. problem. If you are only here to get something you've paid for regarding PseduoTV then you do not belong here. We allow limited linking of donation links, but actual business transactions should not be taking place here. This is the support forum for Kodi. Period.

Anyone else who complains about not being able to PM, even after having read our reason for this situation, gets a temp ban. Our forum admins are already talking about removing PMs globally, and I'm going to be really pissed off if that happens just because of the damn PseudoTV PM shit.

glad I found this post, I was wondering why I was unable to PM my log files to a developer, now I know. Is there some other way to prove we are human and not a bot or is it still Post/Time based? Dont ban me, I'm not complaining, just asking for some info.
Right right, I'll play along.

Normally people just post their logs to a pastebin-like website, such as pastebin.com or xbmclogs.com. If there is sensitive information or some technical reason for posting a log directly to a dev, you should first ask the dev if that's okay to send to them. A lot of our devs don't like to be PM'ed directly for support unless they've specifically asked for something, and many of them have turned off the ability to receive PMs for their accounts. For some of them, too many people PM them directly instead of just posting about something, so it's another good reason to ask them in a normal post about the issue and how they might want to receive logs or other data. They might want you to e-mail a log or use some other means of sharing. They might not even need a log, but might need a file sample instead, and in that case a PM won't help at all.
if it would only be spam bots - issue is that spammers pay poor chineese kids to register fake accounts in order to get past captchas and other bot blocking tools.
(2015-07-12, 06:27)Ned Scott Wrote: Not. our. problem. If you are only here to get something you've paid for regarding PseduoTV then you do not belong here. We allow limited linking of donation links, but actual business transactions should not be taking place here. This is the support forum for Kodi. Period.

I apologize if you believe i'm at fault, for user actions...

I've removed the OP's causing this issue.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
@Lunatixz

Not at all, I'm sorry if in my frustration I gave you that impression. I'm a huge fan of PseduoTV Live myself :)
Thanks Lunatixz
Well, it's your forum, you can do whatever you want but we are suppose to do with a private message that comes to us and we can't reply to them? Just ignore those?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
can not send private message? who knows?1