WIP AMLogic - Rollcall - which devices work well with stable Kodi 15.0 ?
Lightbulb 
I thought this was a good idea that Koying recently brought up....
.... so I am attempting to bring order to the Chaos that is AMlogic devices and working official Kodi releases. SPMC also.

(2015-03-08, 11:01)Koying Wrote: The "few lucky guys" are those with a properly supported box or who found a proper 3rd party firmware.

We are sick and tired of trying to workaround fw issues, so we don't anymore.
The best course of action for users is probably to open a "which boxes work, which don't" thread.

Natural selection will make that only working boxes remain Wink

Please follow the format presented, this is just going to be a list that I will update (moderators might help ?) as time goes by...
The aim is to make a Community master list of the well supported AMlogic devices that are easy to upgrade and use with Kodi.
It may even give the Vendors some incentive to support end users with updated Firmware.

Keep the answers brief please.

No Tall Tales, otherwise you will be called out and Shamed Wink
This is not a Troubleshooting / Configuration helper thread.

To start the ball rolling....

Device > HardKernel ODROID-C1+
AMlogic SoC: S805
Firmware > Android 4.4.2
Rooted Firmware> Yes (Indicated by Superuser being already installed)
Ease of Upgrading > Easy, reflash SD Card and insert.
Is SPMC/Kodi 14.2 Installable > Yes
Working > No
What's the Issue > Black screen during video playback
Workaround > Install SuperSU from Google Play store to supply SPMC/Kodi 14.2 with correct root permissions.

SPMC/Kodi 15.x Isengard Installable > Yes
Working > Yes
Dynamic Refresh Rate Switchable > Yes supported in Firmware v1.6. onwards and also OpenELEC.
True 24p video output with Android > Yes with a Frame Rate Automation Kernel contained in the v1.7 image. 23.976fps / HEVC @ 60Hz using the external MX Player app is nice and smooth as well.

Other OS Installable > Yes , unofficial OpenElec 5.95.6 (Isengard 15.2 final) plus at least 13 other images. OpenELEC Isengard is nice and quick.
Dual / Triple Boot > Yes

Alternative working Android Firmware > Not Needed
Last working XBMC Version > XBMC xx.x (May even be a custom vendor supplied version)

To make it easy for members just copy and paste the text below and fill in the blanks....
Code:
[b]Device[/b] >
[b]AMlogic SoC[/b]: S
[b]Firmware[/b] > Android
[b]Rooted Firmware[/b]>
[b]Ease of Upgrading[/b] >
[b]Is SPMC/Kodi 14.2 Installable[/b] >
[b]Working[/b] >
[b]What's the Issue[/b] >
[b]Workaround[/b] >

[b]SPMC/Kodi 15.x Isengard Installable[/b] >
[b]Working[/b] >
[b]Dynamic Refresh Rate Switchable[/b] >
[b]True 24p video output with Android[/b] >

[b]Other OS Installable[/b] >
[b]Dual / Triple Boot[/b] >

[b]Alternative working Android Firmware[/b] >  
[b]Last working XBMC Version[/b] >

Notes:
=====
True 24p = 23.976fps video output to a compatible 24p TV for perfect video sync. Typical Android Firmware playing 23.976fps video output at a refresh rate of 24Hz will result in a video frame glitch every 41 seconds when a duplicate video frame is inserted. Of course this goes hand in hand with Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching for ease of use to the end user. Both features Raspberry Pi and Linux box users take for granted.

Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching enabled by > Adjust display refresh rate to match video > On Start/Stop
http://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Videos#Playback

AMlogic SoC's do support 23.976fps video output but Vendors need to have 24p support written into updated Firmware.
At this point in time MINIX and Wetek and also HardKernel are the only devices supporting this feature when using Android on AMlogic SoC's.
http://minixforum.com/threads/x8-h-plus-...0430.5659/
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=...399#p97626

AMlogic SoC comparison chart:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/04/25/a...-and-s812/

(2015-06-05, 11:38)Wolly Wrote: Currently, Amlogic has some problem on the compatibility between 23.976 and HD audio Passthrough. You can only choose one, 23.976 or HD audio passthrough. This is a complicated problem that can't be solved with software. When they released their 64-bit chipset, this will be solved.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2021811

W.
Smile

Maybe add these additional notes since often enough asked questions about Amlogic SoC's:
  • Amlogic S805 and S812 SoCs hardware do not support 10-bit HEVC (H.265) Main10 profile, only 8-bit HEVC Main profile can be hardware decoded.
  • Kodi software does currently not support H.264 MVC hardware decoding on Amlogic.
  • Kodi software does currently not support VP8 or VP9 hardware decoding on Amlogic.
  • Kodi software does currently not support RMVB hardware decoding on Amlogic.
Nice. Stickied.
Someone has to be second, so:

Device > CX-S806
AMlogic SoC: S802
Firmware > Android 4.4.2
Rooted Firmware> YES
Easy of Upgrading > Firmware? Don't know, assume OTG flash -have not found one to flash.
Is SPMC/Kodi 14.2 Installable > YES
Working > NO
What's the Issue > Black screen or back to Android Launcher when starting
Workaround > Huh? Same problems with official 13.X May be permissions based?

SPMC/Kodi 15.x Isengard Installable > KODI 15 through Beta: YES
Working > YES
Dynamic Refresh Rate Switchable > Untested
True 24p video output with Android > Not yet, but judder nearly invisible w/ 120hz setting/Noise reduction on HDTV during panning. Impressive/NOT PERFECT. Wonder that it somehow avoids typical 3:2 pulldown effects by "120" hz(59.94x2 = 23.976X5) being a whole multiple of 23.976? Unconfirmed. Judder much more visible w/o 120HZ & Noise Reduction settings, but still minimal. <10 seconds total of Guardians of the Galaxy exhibited visible judder during two short pans without 120HZ & Noise Reduction. Almost no judder with 120Hz & Noise Reduction.(May just be the NR, 120hz may be anecdotal)

Other OS Installable > OpenElec? Untried.
Dual / Triple Boot > Not to my knowledge

Alternative working Android Firmware > Untried, only S812 firmware found for this model. (same Model # CX-S806 sold as both S802 & S812 based units.)
Last working XBMC Version > Stane's 13.2 Experimental Build for HEVC. Still asked for permissions, but worked great once granted.

I hope that helps, and I will update as I experiment further. wrxtasy, please message me with any needed changes.
Cheers technisol, concise and to the point. Looks like you've covered all bases Smile
I will be surprised if we actually see any AMlogic MINIX owners post here as their Firmwares appear well supported. But then you are paying for that support with the price payed for some of their devices.
Their AMlogic S805 / 1080p / HEVC - NEO X6 is competively priced.

From a Minix user Smile

Device > Minix X8-H
AMlogic SoC: S802-H
Firmware > Android version 4.4.2; Minix firmware: 005 (5/7/15)
Rooted Firmware> No
Ease of Upgrading > Very Easy, Multiple methods: OTA update, Windows firmware flashing tool, SD Card/USB update (not for all firmware).
Working > Yes
What's the Issue > None (for me).
Workaround > NA

Working > Yes
Dynamic Refresh Rate Switchable > Yes, not only for Kodi, but for other apps also: all local media players, online streaming (YouTube, Hulu, Vudu)
True 24p video output with Android > Yes
HD Audio Passthrough/3D Blu-ray > Amlogic has partnered with VidOn (I know). Minix has enabled support for VidOn in their firmware. HD audio passthrough works with select AVRs.

Other OS Installable > Openelec 5.0.8 (surkovalex) apparently 24-bit 192KHz playback is supported (I haven't tested this).
Dual / Triple Boot > No
Alternative working Android Firmware > Finless Bob, Stane (both of them have not been updated for a long time now).
Last working XBMC Version > Minix XBMC 13.3.3
Cheers wesk05, looks like my reverse psychology has worked. Wink
With properly supported Firmware all sorts of badly needed audio and video features are now possible on AMlogic SoC devices running Android.

Device > Tronsmart Vega S89-H
Firmware > Android 4.4.2, Firmware 112K4
Rooted Firmware> Yes
Ease of Upgrading > Updating to 111K4 from earlier versions requires a manual update. Later updates can be applied via OTA.
Is SPMC/Kodi 14.2 Installable > Yes. They ship a custom version of XBMC 13.4 that might collide though. I modify my firmware slightly so it didn't for me.
Working > Untested

SPMC/Kodi 15.x Isengard Installable > Yes (see above).
Working > Yes (didn't in 108K4)
Dynamic Refresh Rate Switchable > Yes (you need to make sure that you don't set Kodi to pause the video for too long though as it seems to confuse the device or TV, resulting in a black screen. I have mine set at 0,5 seconds)
True 24p video output with Android > No. Results in the slight glitch roughly every 41 seconds mentioned in the first post.
Not to be a poor sport, but does no one have an M8/M8S/MX III derivative working, or what? I do realize growth will likely be rather slow for a thread staged to produce positive results in a forum populated most often by those with negative results, but...
(2015-06-16, 01:07)technisol Wrote: Not to be a poor sport, but does no one have an M8/M8S/MX III derivative working, or what? I do realize growth will likely be rather slow for a thread staged to produce positive results in a forum populated most often by those with negative results, but...
I think some of the users you are looking for aren't necessarily part of this forum since these kind of devices historically required custom builds of XBMC/Kodi to work properly. For that reason I think you might be more successful finding those users on forums like Freaktab.
(2015-06-16, 21:19)blunden Wrote:
(2015-06-16, 01:07)technisol Wrote: Not to be a poor sport, but does no one have an M8/M8S/MX III derivative working, or what? I do realize growth will likely be rather slow for a thread staged to produce positive results in a forum populated most often by those with negative results, but...
I think some of the users you are looking for aren't necessarily part of this forum since these kind of devices historically required custom builds of XBMC/Kodi to work properly. For that reason I think you might be more successful finding those users on forums like Freaktab.

No, not true. Assuming the firmware isn't all broken, vanilla Kodi should run just fine on that such hardware.
Getting back to the title of the thread, we are actually looking for a list of devices that runs Kodi Well, without lots of workarounds. Devices that actually get Firmware support from the Vendor. This support is actually the most important consideration for a potential Android media player purchase IMHO. There is just too much rubbish out there.

We don't really care about all those users that need to go over to Freaktab. I would actually avoid purchasing a device that needs custom Firmware from Freaktab in the first place to function properly.

(2015-06-12, 03:44)wesk05 Wrote: From a Minix user Smile

Device > Minix X8-H
Firmware > Android version 4.4.2; Minix firmware: 005 (5/7/15)
Rooted Firmware> No
Ease of Upgrading > Very Easy, Multiple methods: OTA update, Windows firmware flashing tool, SD Card/USB update (not for all firmware).
Working > Yes
What's the Issue > None (for me).
Workaround > NA

Working > Yes
Dynamic Refresh Rate Switchable > Yes, not only for Kodi, but for other apps also: all local media players, online streaming (YouTube, Hulu, Vudu)
True 24p video output with Android > Yes
HD Audio Passthrough/3D Blu-ray > Amlogic has partnered with VidOn (I know). Minix has enabled support for VidOn in their firmware. HD audio passthrough works with select AVRs.

Other OS Installable > Openelec 5.0.8 (surkovalex) apparently 24-bit 192KHz playback is supported (I haven't tested this).
Dual / Triple Boot > No
Alternative working Android Firmware > Finless Bob, Stane (both of them have not been updated for a long time now).
Last working XBMC Version > Minix XBMC 13.3.3

Have one Minix Neo X8-H also, and the feedback is the same as wesk05.
SPMC, Kodi an XBMC from Minix, all work well
(2015-06-17, 03:23)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-06-16, 21:19)blunden Wrote:

No, not true. Assuming the firmware isn't all broken, vanilla Kodi should run just fine on that such hardware.
It should nowdays, yes (as I confirmed above). I said "historically" though.
I know that what I write is not in the format you requested, but I just wanted to say that the MK808B Plus (Amlogic S805) is an awesome little device, similar to Wrxtsy's Odroid. I don't know anything about true 24P video or Dynamic refresh rate, all I know it plays my videos, especially live TV streaming using tvheadend running on OpenELEC. I also have the Tronsmart Vega S89H like Bluden so I don't need to say anything about it, he covered it. I also have/had a total of 8 Android boxes including the Google developers ADT-1 Android box. This little $35 Android stick running OpenELEC 5.0.3 blows them all away.

Maybe I should not post my video of my setup, but I am really proud of it using it as an awesome stand alone DVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfdKqnVXlYM

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMLogic - Rollcall - which devices work well with stable Kodi 15.0 ?1