• 5(current)
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV
(2015-09-01, 02:42)DarkAngelHeart Wrote: Does the Sony tv sideview remote app work for typing text into kodi?

it works as a touch remote, and types text on iphone instead of using sony's RC, but on Kodi dunno if there's a fix for it.

thanks!

Hey,

I use the Kodi Remote App and it works great. You can have full control over Kodi from your phone. It also supports keyboard but you need to switch to it first. Hope that helps.
(2015-08-23, 08:07)armen.mogahdsian Wrote:
(2015-08-22, 21:57)crystalgipsy Wrote: Are you sure the 720p ones are in 2.35 aspect sounds like they are already in 1.85 or 1.78 as it should not scale them and remove the the bars if it does not do it on 1080p source.
(2015-08-22, 07:43)armen.mogahdsian Wrote: Glad I found this thread.

I'm using Kodi 15.1 on my Sony Bravia 43W800C. I've tried playing 1080p 16Gb files with no problems so far.

Do you guys watch 1080p or 720p movies? What I like about high bit rate 720p movies is that it upscales the movie to the whole screen unlike 1080 which has the black bars at the top and bottom.

I believe so, because all 720 movies that I download always upscales the video to the whole screen. I played this file "Pitch Perfect 2 2015 720p BluRay DD5.1 x264" description shows a resolution of "1280x694"

(2015-08-23, 04:44)martialp Wrote: are the sony android tv 55-X9000c or 55-X8500C capable to decode dts sound directly from TV using kodi.

LG 55UF8500 and 55EG9600 got DTS Decoder as per LG website.

Advantage to use sony tv is to leverage Kodi and can select movie and play them directly on TV without soundbar or external amplifier.

Currently using an old LG TV (without dts decoding capability), dts is enable via LG Soundbar HX56.

Thank you in advance if any know the answer.

I believe my W800C decodes my DTS movies through Kodi. Because when going into the sound settings while in movie it shows "DTS 5.1" in use. I use the built in speakers. I also played 16GB movies with no problem that also has DTS.

That res indicates its 1.85 presentation movie and not 2.35 so it will fill the whole screen as its the aspect is the same at 720p or 1080p. If its a 2.35 presentation movie you will still get black bars regardless of its 720p or 1080p.
(2015-09-01, 03:50)armen.mogahdsian Wrote:
(2015-09-01, 02:42)DarkAngelHeart Wrote: Does the Sony tv sideview remote app work for typing text into kodi?

it works as a touch remote, and types text on iphone instead of using sony's RC, but on Kodi dunno if there's a fix for it.

thanks!

Hey,

I use the Kodi Remote App and it works great. You can have full control over Kodi from your phone. It also supports keyboard but you need to switch to it first. Hope that helps.

Armen thanks a lot, i installed it, unable to connect it to kodi yet, but i will eventually gonna search online today. merci beaucoup Sir.
Does anyone else have audio sync issues when using the built in speakers? I had to set Kodi to "ahead by 0.250s" to get audio in sync. I'm not sure if it's just the way it is or I flipped some wrong switch.

I have a 55" W75C.
I suppose Kodi's eventual goal has always been to run within a TV. And the Sony Android TVs seem to do that and has great PQ.

I'm among many who run an HTPC for using Kodi. The only issue I see is the lack of support for HD audio bit-streaming. My question is, is it just a software limitation?

I understand that HD audio bit-streaming needs capability in the device driver. So I assume the SoC maker should develop adequate Android driver.
Is there any hardware restrictions? Licensing perhaps and what not.
@crystalgipsy
You are correct. I recently looked it up and now know more about the aspect ratio.

@DarkAngelHeart
It's really easy. Just make sure Wi-Fi on your phone is turned on and the instructions are given on the app itself how to change the settings on Kodi. They will connect right away.
Installed Kodi from the Play Store this week onto a Bravia KDL43W80 and I am very impressed so far. It is very responsive (I am using Aeon Nox), pulled in my (large) library from a NAS over wired LAN very well and so far playback is good. Mixture of 720 / 1080 MKVs all playing well with no lag or sync issues so far.

I did the key remap which worked very well, the only minor issue I have found is volume adjustment does trigger both the TV and Kodi, but this is fairly minor. I had no idea it would run this well, I currenty run Kodi on a Fire TV (which has been terrific) and before that a Mac Mini so I do have something to compare it to.

Clearly there will be some quirks and issues, but at the moment, it is a great solution.
If you use the default Kodi from the Play Store, does audio passthrough work for AC3/DTS?
@chrislacruz

That is why I don't use the remote that came with the TV. Download the Kodi official remote app for your smartphone. :-)
@Armen.mogahdsian it would just be much more convenient to use the TV remote. With your smartphone, you'll at-least have the overhead of switching its display on and then doing whatever you need to do.
Say you'r getting a call on your phone, and you want to pause what's playing on your TV, pressing the pause button on your TV's remote is easy.

I use an HTPC with kodibuntu connected to my AVR which is connected to my TV. I use the TV's remote to easily control everything. Pulse Eight HDMI CEC adapter comes handy.
Yes, I just prefer to use the TV remote where possible, I have the Kodi App, which is great, but I dont particlarly want to sit on my sofa with my phone all the time, and a real remote is tactile, wheras you need to look at a phone, but that's just me I guess.
(2015-09-04, 14:23)gazal Wrote: @Armen.mogahdsian it would just be much more convenient to use the TV remote. With your smartphone, you'll at-least have the overhead of switching its display on and then doing whatever you need to do.
Say you'r getting a call on your phone, and you want to pause what's playing on your TV, pressing the pause button on your TV's remote is easy.

I use an HTPC with kodibuntu connected to my AVR which is connected to my TV. I use the TV's remote to easily control everything. Pulse Eight HDMI CEC adapter comes handy.
Well the yatse remote app has plugins that will pause kodi when receiving a call and can even pop-up a notification on your kodi screen when receiving a sms
(2015-09-04, 17:03)Vidman Wrote:
(2015-09-04, 14:23)gazal Wrote: @Armen.mogahdsian it would just be much more convenient to use the TV remote. With your smartphone, you'll at-least have the overhead of switching its display on and then doing whatever you need to do.

Well the yatse remote app has plugins that will pause kodi when receiving a call and can even pop-up a notification on your kodi screen when receiving a sms

What if I'm watching with my wife, and I don't want to pause when a call comes in? I'd rather just get the call in another room.
We could go on about this. The fact is, it's a matter of choice. I do agree that there are some things that a remote app does better. For example I use Yatse to play and queue YouTube videos to Kodi. But if the Sony Android TV's YouTube app is just as easy to control using the TV remote, I'd prefer that.
btw I can report that Jarvis alpha2 is running quite fine on the set, pushed it via adb and updated alpha1

my only worries are that the library database quickly gets massive and the space for apps is quite limited
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
There is USB support on the TV, not sure if this can be used for all storage?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV8