• 3(current)
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV
The Netflix app does 4k@60 streaming most probably through the hardware HEVC of the Mediatek SoC but my understanding is that HEVC for Android Kodi is only experimental&enabled for nightly builds. get me legal HEVC demo downloads and I'll give it a try.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
http://www.libde265.org/hevc-bitstreams/
I have been able to playback 1080p HEVC inside of Kodi Isengard with no problems on my XBR49x830C. For some reason, which I think might be related to how Sony has set up their media_codecs.xml file, all 4k files including H264 revert to software decode in KODI and the processor isn't sufficient to do that. However, the 4k files all play back just fine in Sony's built in player.
okay, testing showed that Kodi from the Play Store clearly won't play any 4k files with hardware acceleration

I've copied together some various 4k files (youtube mp4, big buck bunny x.264 2160p@60 mp4, Divx HEVC 24fps mkv showcase Tears of Steel) and put them on a USB stick (why the heck can't this Sony video player app support LAN/SMB?!)

the youtube download out of some reason unknown did not play, BBB looked AMAZING, and Tears of Steel played very well and smooth, even including subtitles. with this stuff you really have to go centimeters in front of the display to appreciate the increased resolution. the details and colors are simply stunning with compression artifacts nowhere to be seen. I really do love this TV set...

so concluding, the Mediatek SoC clearly harnesses lots of video decoding power, it's up to future builds of Kodi to unlock it Wink

on a related note, I completely switched off the HDMI-CEC (BraviaSync) including ARC and went back to optical digital out into my receiver. the whole HDMI-CEC is still very unstable and brought some sudden reboots of the TV set, particularly after waking up from standby. plus, my trusty old Onkyo swallows up jiggawatts while in ARC standby, and I wanted to properly use my Harmony Touch. what's not gone is a slight audio delay with digital out (TV from tuner and all apps), barely noticeable but I do hope Sony fix this soon.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hi,
Appreciate the HEVC testing, guys :-)
Makes the Sony TVs all the more interesting...

/M
Guys how do you add addons to kodi? I haven't done that on TV.
FORMATS
I'd agree with previous posters, not all formats perform as you'd expect

CPU
If you do a System Summary from the Kodi main menu you'll see a lot of CPU activity, sometimes close to 100 percent for times.

VOLUME
The TV must be struggling with the Kodi code, when I use the volume on the TV it also triggers the Kodi volume and the movie lags and judders.

4K EARLY ADOPTER
I know I'm far too early to ask for support but is anyone achieving upscaling yet?
(2015-08-03, 15:55)dashtekahe Wrote: Guys how do you add addons to kodi? I haven't done that on TV.

I guess you are addressing add-ons that are not in an official repository. I just put these on an SMB share and install from there.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Thank you for the reviews guys. One more question please. Are subtitles working fine?
will do some testing with mkv subs but from my experience: if the subs work with HTPC Kodi, they work with Android Kodi

just watching Pacific Rim from commercial Bluray: if you need demo material, this is it. insane.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
(2015-08-05, 20:55)Hannes The Hun Wrote: will do some testing with mkv subs but from my experience: if the subs work with HTPC Kodi, they work with Android Kodi

just watching Pacific Rim from commercial Bluray: if you need demo material, this is it. insane.

Agreed just watched it again too. On the w805c it looked brilliant.
Hi Guys,

Got the kdl55w800c last week and Kodi just works great, more than i expected actually.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the following as I'm not very good at the 'complicated settings'...

1. This TV says it's native 120hz. Kodi has the display @60hz. can this be adjusted? Could it be causing 3d not to work?

2. as mentioned, Kodi 3D movies aren't being recognized by the TV. The 3D option is no longer there on the TV menu. It is however if you play 3D from youtube or netflix (btw, if anyone tried netflix, and it didn't work, its netflix that's blocking it not ur TV). Some youtube 3ds work, others are kind of blurry.

does anyone know of a website that streams 3D movies? A paid one doesn't matter. Wanna try those glasses on something GOOD and don't wanna get a blue ray player. don't like stacking up DVDs in the house.

thank you!!
And to reply to some, yes subtitles work, if they are available. So just add as many 'known' subtitles add ons. I re-watched godfather II with subtitles 2 days ago. was excellent.
Btw, this link http://kodi.wiki/view/3D#ARM_.28Android....erry_Pi.29 doesn't necessarily explain well.

I went into video settings, and i set 3D to side by side. ALL of kodi becomes split into two screens. the interface becomes split in its entirety. It's not like it turns into it once u play a 3d movie...

I also got like some others here the kdl55w800c. This TV has Active 3D not passive. And this link http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback#3D says kodi supports some passive 3D movies. can we get active 3d movies? or was that just totally irrelevant? ..

Thanks!
Kodi on Android currently does not support playback of 3D movies. This is not specific to Sony Android TVs so please discuss this in another more appropriate thread.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV8