• 74(current)
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV
(2017-07-01, 07:20)[email protected] Wrote: Hi there I have a Sony KD55x8500d TV - apart from the Opera Apps, can I install any other Apps like Kodi?
What if I use some kind of sideload launcher, is that possible?
I was wondering if Apps can be installed on the TV in the 1st place, there must be a way to install more?
Thanks for your time in advance!

Download the .apk of the app you want to load and install it using an apk installer or file explorer app.

You can also show side loaded apps on your home screen, google for it.
Hint: Install this Alternate App store - one of the more reputable ones, and then direct install regular Android Apps:

http://m.aptoide.com/installer-aptoide-tv

The Android TV - Sideload / Launcher App is needed to show these tablet Apps grouped together in a Folder on Android TV devices.

I believe tablet Apps installed via Aptoide can also Auto update, something you don't get with regular Sideloading via file manager Apps.

(2017-07-01, 08:40)wrxtasy Wrote: Hint: Install this Alternate App store - one of the more reputable ones, and then direct install regular Android Apps:

http://m.aptoide.com/installer-aptoide-tv

The Android TV - Sideload / Launcher App is needed to show these tablet Apps grouped together in a Folder on Android TV devices.

I believe tablet Apps installed via Aptoide can also Auto update, something you don't get with regular Sideloading via file manager Apps.

Do you know the name of the 'The Android TV - Sideload / Launcher App' and where it can be downloaded from?
Inbuilt Android TV Playstore on Android TV devices.

(2017-07-01, 10:45)wrxtasy Wrote: Inbuilt Android TV Playstore on Android TV devices.

I think I misunderstood your post, I thought you were suggesting an app that would show all apps installed from Aptoide.

On my Sony Android TV Play Store only a subset of apps that Google consider suitable for TV are in the Android TV Play Store and any side loaded apps do not show on the home screen.
Install Sideload Launcher from the Playstore.

Install the Aptoide.apk using a File manager and USB stick.
Once that is installed you can search in the Aptoide Store for regular tablet Apps and install them, this bypasses the fcuking around sideloading using the file manager each and every time you want to install tablet Android Apps - ones that do not show up in the Android TV Playstore.

You need the Sideload / Launcher App installer to find those installed tablet Apps.

Then also purchase a Wireless Air Mouse to use those tablet Apps only to find some of them do not scale correctly, display in Landscape mode or simply do not work at all on Android TV.

Swear at Google in Vain, then Grab a beer and forget about it all.... Wink

(2017-07-01, 11:02)wrxtasy Wrote: Install Sideload Launcher from the Playstore.

Install the Aptoide.apk using a File manager and USB stick.
Once that is installed you can search in the Aptoide Store for regular tablet Apps and install them, this bypasses the fcuking around sideloading using the file manager each and every time you want to install tablet Android Apps - ones that do not show up in the Android TV Playstore.

You need the Sideload / Launcher App installer to find those installed tablet Apps.

Then also purchase a Wireless Air Mouse to use those tablet Apps only to find some of them do not scale correctly, display in Landscape mode or simply do not work at all on Android TV.

Swear at Google in Vain, then Grab a beer and forget about it all.... Wink

Sideload Launcher - Android TV on the play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...r&hl=en_GB

states this restriction:-

"This is only for the new Android TV devices, like the ADT-1 and the Nexus Player, it is completely useless on other devices"

That's why I was asking for the name of the app you were suggesting
I have Bravia 2017 running latest commander, cant save my settings for dash or my usb drive catalogue throgh kodi. On dash show Movies poster but unable play. Guessing kodi not saving usb path for folders, do I need to change kodi system file wirh assinged path like old xbmc day. Been awhile since last tried kodi been using plex fue simplicity. Also think tv wont let me change files in file manager.
Openelec PVR in lounge 6tb of storage...
XBMC PVR on 27in I3 Mac in bedroom...
Ipad 2 running XBMC...

What more do you want...
Hi there,

Was excited to buy a Sony TV especially for Kodi, but reading this thread raises a lot of doubts (especially the google doc, thanks for this great summary).

So in a nutshell I'd better forget about it and still use a dedicated box ?

Thanks,
Could you point me to tbe Google doc? Thanks
Nothing left in my right brain, Nothing right in my left brain :-P
(2017-06-24, 05:08)wrxtasy Wrote: @CiNcH review is worth reading - The Sony Android TV Experience (2017)
(2017-07-15, 22:18)c0mm0n Wrote: So in a nutshell I'd better forget about it and still use a dedicated box ?

Thanks,
Optimised, hands off (no fcuking about with settings) Kodi Krypton lives over on the LibreELEC Kodi platform.
The most sorted out (non HDR) 4K, HD Audio, all in one reliable combos are the AMLogic S905 LibreELEC Kodi Krypton devices. Use those with a quality Wireless remote for a nice Kodi experience.

Leave Smart TV's for non Kodi Android Apps only, it's what they can be good for.
You will then have a nice one/two media player combo without many compromises at all. Smile

Well, depends on what your needs are... No need to be absolute. My experience between my Shield, AFTV and TV are obviously different, but my viewing experience remains pretty similar.

It is obvious, when you're talking about 80-100GB files what your level is, but not everyone is like that.

Sent from my HTC 10
Hi, I've bought a new sony XE 9005 based on android Tv and i've installed Kodi app. I've tried to play 4k mkv from hard drive linked to the tv by usb port, but they didn't work poperly with vlc and other players (shutters and audio async). With Kodi it works, but there is no way when i press Action menu on remote to set my fovite picture settings. It returns to kodi app, i can set as i wish, but when i start playback there is no calibrated image and it seems to have returned to standard. Is thare a way to have my favorite and calibrated image options on playback? Thanks a lot and sorry for my bad english.i
Can someone please tell me what page to go to to locate the Bravia back button issue discussion with kodi?
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV8