• 23(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
The methods provided here use the official Kodi build.  All problems using unofficial builds such as DSPlayer, should be questioned at that forum.  This official build method does not experience the problems both of you are having and it reads like the two of you are insinuating this build has problems so use DSPlayer instead.  Forgive me if I have misinterpreted your words and links but I take pride in this working version and don't wish to be associated with problematic alternatives.  That said, unofficial builds may not be problematic at all and coincidently two users or more may just have faulty installs, settings, equipment, or modifications.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Hello,

thanks so much for all your effort and your great guide!
Unfortunately, I can't get it to work.
I really hope you can help me.
I am using a Geforce GTX 1050 Ti with Windows 10 Pro.
I installed everything as you described in Post 205.
I would like to get it to work step by step.
Unfortunately, MPC is already not working...
As soon as I set the VideoRenderer to madVR it immediately crashes as soon as I chosse any file to play...
I installed the following Versions:
MPC-BE 1.5.2.3224 Nightly 64-bit

and 

madVR v0.92.10.
Inside madVR I configured everything as in your screenshots.
Do you have any idea why MPC crashes?
Can you play your title from Windows Explorer using MPC?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2017-12-22, 22:48)brazen1 Wrote: Can you play your title from Windows Explorer using MPC?
 Well, I think I found the problem.
At first I extracted and installed madVR directly in the same folder where all my downloads are.
Now I uninstalled madVR, moved the extracted folder into the same folder as MPC and it seems to help.
At least I don't get any crashes. But I still only get a black screen after each movie start.
The sound is playing correctly.
It is the same behaviour no matter if I start a movie with "open file...", windows explorer or Kodi "play using MPC".
I am using an AVR and a Projector if this helps.
The only thing I recognized when configuring madVR is that in your screenshots you have two devices listed - your AVR and your display device.
In my case I only see my Epson TW9300 projector but not my AVR.
Do you think this could be a problem?

One further important notice:
As my projector is no real UHD projector my resolution is usually 1080p but the projector is able to switch to UHD resolution and HDR.
So I would like to play all Blurays in 1080p 8-Bit BT.709 and all UHD-files in 2160p BT.2020 and HDR (if available).
If this would really work that would be awesome...
If you're going GPU to AVR to PJ, and your AVR isn't listed, you have a problem.  No idea why you have to put madVR folder in MPC folder?  I just have mine in Documents.  It sounds like you are installing/uninstalling madVR by using the two .bats inside madVR correctly.  I would backup 'settings.bin' file (this is backup you can replace later), run 'restore default settings.bat', 'uninstall.bat', delete the contents of the madVR folder, reboot, turn on the AVR and PJ, unzip the latest madVR back into it, and then 'install.bat' and see if your AVR shows up.  Also, did you leave Lav Filters default?

Thanks Brazen1.. Merry Christmas to everybody on this precious forum.
(2017-12-24, 06:15)brazen1 Wrote: If you're going GPU to AVR to PJ, and your AVR isn't listed, you have a problem.  No idea why you have to put madVR folder in MPC folder?  I just have mine in Documents.  It sounds like you are installing/uninstalling madVR by using the two .bats inside madVR correctly.  I would backup 'settings.bin' file (this is backup you can replace later), run 'restore default settings.bat', 'uninstall.bat', delete the contents of the madVR folder, reboot, turn on the AVR and PJ, unzip the latest madVR back into it, and then 'install.bat' and see if your AVR shows up.  Also, did you leave Lav Filters default?

First of all merry Christmas to everyone Smile
I did exactly as you described it and still the AVR is not shown in madvr. I only see my projector. All my devices (PC, SATV, PS etc.) are connected to my AVR and then my projector is connected with hdmi to my AVR.
In Lavfilters I set the settings as you described in post 205. I also tried to reinstall lavfilters and leave everything at default. Didn't change anything.
But when I am understanding
https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1...ount=47957
Correctly hdr isn't working correctly with Nvidia until now or am I mistaken? Maybe only inside kodi with your .bat and player factory?
Happy holidays to you also.  I really don't know what to suggest about your AVR MIA in madVR settings?  I assume your AVR is set to 'pass through'?  The .bats are only for 3D users.  The playercorefactory.xml is only for calling MPC-BE from Kodi automatically further refined for assigning custom file types to it including HDR.  You should be able to test faster just playing your title from Explorer.  Nvidia has always worked for HDR and every other file type.  You just need to use a working driver while NVidia gets in unison with MS.  Newer drivers have been problematic in some aspects while others are being cured.  Add to that the changes MS is making and it's hard for everyone to coordinate in sync.  For now, driver version 385.69 has been working.  Some cards are so new, that driver is not offered like the 1030 if I'm not mistaken.  AIUI, driver version 39xxx will be released soon once again syncing with MS and improving HDR playback, efficiency, and automation.  For now, use 385.69 if possible, make the necessary adjustments in madVR (even though your AVR is MIA) and set the GPU settings like this:

Select YCbCr422 and save.
Select 12bpc.
Select RGB.
Select FULL
Save.

It will not show 12bit after saving and will be blank.  This is normal.  Don't change anything.
Aside from your AVR not showing, the only thing I'm leery of is your PJ when you say it isn't real UHD, usually 1080p, but HDR capable.  Maybe consult other owners and confirm if they can render UHD HDR titles or not.

(2017-12-26, 17:43)brazen1 Wrote: Happy holidays to you also.  I really don't know what to suggest about your AVR MIA in madVR settings?  I assume your AVR is set to 'pass through'?  The .bats are only for 3D users.  The playercorefactory.xml is only for calling MPC-BE from Kodi automatically further refined for assigning custom file types to it including HDR.  You should be able to test faster just playing your title from Explorer.  Nvidia has always worked for HDR and every other file type.  You just need to use a working driver while NVidia gets in unison with MS.  Newer drivers have been problematic in some aspects while others are being cured.  Add to that the changes MS is making and it's hard for everyone to coordinate in sync.  For now, driver version 385.69 has been working.  Some cards are so new, that driver is not offered like the 1030 if I'm not mistaken.  AIUI, driver version 39xxx will be released soon once again syncing with MS and improving HDR playback, efficiency, and automation.  For now, use 385.69 if possible, make the necessary adjustments in madVR (even though your AVR is MIA) and set the GPU settings like this:

Select 12bpc.
Select RGB.
Select FULL
Save.

It will not show 12bit after saving and will be blank.  This is normal.  Don't change anything.
Aside from your AVR not showing, the only thing I'm leery of is your PJ when you say it isn't real UHD, usually 1080p, but HDR capable.  Maybe consult other owners and confirm if they can render UHD HDR titles or not.
Thanks, I will try that.
Can you explain to me what the LAVFilters are really needed for?
Can I uninstall them for now and only test with MPC and MadVR?
I want to use an as simple setup as possible until HDR is working correctly.
JustkiddingI also have a HTPC (Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX HDMI 2.0 &DP, i7-7700 cpu) connected to a 1080P projector. My motherboard's data port to HDMI is directly connected to the projector and the HDMI out to Marantz 8802 for lossless audio processing. I have no video cards attached in my HTPC.

All my 1080p MKV/M2ts files are played through Kodi 17.6, but 4K HDR files appear dull with washed out colors. I tried Kodi 18 nightly builds without much success (same with JRiverMC and PowerDVD 17). Power DVD 17 will only work on a PC if a 4K HDR display is attached to the system along with 1709 creators edition and HDMI 2.0 motherboard. It is not doing the HDR to SDR conversion in my 1080P display.

I have been successfully playing 4K files using the windows "movies & TV app". Windows 10 creators fall edition 1709 update has removed the inbuilt support for HEVC Codec, which (HEVC Video Extension) can be downloaded free from the Microsoft app store.

I wanted to see if you can clarify about your HTPC set up and the file playback to see the differences. I see you have a graphics card, but you are using a single HDMI out to your AVR then to the projector. I use separate paths for video and audio to avoid handshakes and sync delays. As long as 4K files are playing with "movies and TV" app, I don't see the need to go through all the additional software downloads. I read in the Anandtech forum about not using movies&TV app for 4K HDR playback, but it looks great in my set up.

I am going to try and see if this Kodi XDR project software allows me to play 4K HDR files in the same manner as movies & TV app. 

P
(2017-11-07, 13:39)RAzZin Wrote: Hello everyone,

I'm trying to switch from 1080p to 4k HDR playback using my HTPC with Kodi 17.5 and I don't understand whether it should work:

HTPC is either Haswell or Skylake CPU; 980ti or 1050ti for the moment, last available official drivers, as far as I understand I don't need Kaby Lake CPU with latest generations of NVDIA GPUs? Win10 Creators update.

Whole setup should be:

HTPC -> HDMI 2.0 -> Anthem receiver -> HDMI 2.0 -> JVC 4k HDR capable projector.

I'll be watching 4k HDR remuxes, 1080p BD remuxes, other 1080p files that should be upscaled to 4k. Audio will be passthrough to receiver, Atmos and DTS:X must be seen by receiver.

I can't understand what software should I use. Is that the latest MadVR + Kodi DSplayer build (Kodi 17.4)? I'm really lost in the list of problems and different software people are referring to on forums here..
Razzin, in your set up, Power DVD 17 will work with your JVC 4k projector with windows 10 1709 creators edition and HDMI 2.0 motherboard. Pick a motherboard from this thread http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=...tcount=108.
Cyberlink UHD advisor tool is very helpful to check HDR, HDCP 2.2 capability: http://update.cyberlink.com/OEM/Patch/Cy...123-01.exe

Get Power DVD 17 while it is on sale for $40. My set up (see the post above) is similar to yours and I am waiting to upgrade to a Sony 4K projector.

P
(2017-12-28, 10:34)Justkidding Wrote:
(2017-12-26, 17:43)brazen1 Wrote: Happy holidays to you also.  I really don't know what to suggest about your AVR MIA in madVR settings?  I assume your AVR is set to 'pass through'?  The .bats are only for 3D users.  The playercorefactory.xml is only for calling MPC-BE from Kodi automatically further refined for assigning custom file types to it including HDR.  You should be able to test faster just playing your title from Explorer.  Nvidia has always worked for HDR and every other file type.  You just need to use a working driver while NVidia gets in unison with MS.  Newer drivers have been problematic in some aspects while others are being cured.  Add to that the changes MS is making and it's hard for everyone to coordinate in sync.  For now, driver version 385.69 has been working.  Some cards are so new, that driver is not offered like the 1030 if I'm not mistaken.  AIUI, driver version 39xxx will be released soon once again syncing with MS and improving HDR playback, efficiency, and automation.  For now, use 385.69 if possible, make the necessary adjustments in madVR (even though your AVR is MIA) and set the GPU settings like this:

Select 12bpc.
Select RGB.
Select FULL
Save.

Thanks, I will try that.
Can you explain to me what the LAVFilters are really needed for?
Can I uninstall them for now and only test with MPC and MadVR?
I want to use an as simple setup as possible until HDR is working correctly. 
Audio and Video players require filters to handle various playback functions.  Some are built in, some are added to provide more and better control.  LAVFilters are a very good package that directly correspond with the setup in this guide.  If you want to deviate, do so at your own risk and testing.  Afaik, this is a simple correctly working setup for every file playback I know of including HDR and at the highest quality.  If you find something simpler, let us know.

(2017-12-31, 18:47)peterrudy Wrote: JustkiddingI also have a HTPC (Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming-ITX HDMI 2.0 &DP, i7-7700 cpu) connected to a 1080P projector. My motherboard's data port to HDMI is directly connected to the projector and the HDMI out to Marantz 8802 for lossless audio processing. I have no video cards attached in my HTPC.

All my 1080p MKV/M2ts files are played through Kodi 17.6, but 4K HDR files appear dull with washed out colors. I tried Kodi 18 nightly builds without much success (same with JRiverMC and PowerDVD 17). Power DVD 17 will only work on a PC if a 4K HDR display is attached to the system along with 1709 creators edition and HDMI 2.0 motherboard. It is not doing the HDR to SDR conversion in my 1080P display.

I have been successfully playing 4K files using the windows "movies & TV app". Windows 10 creators fall edition 1709 update has removed the inbuilt support for HEVC Codec, which (HEVC Video Extension) can be downloaded free from the Microsoft app store.

I wanted to see if you can clarify about your HTPC set up and the file playback to see the differences. I see you have a graphics card, but you are using a single HDMI out to your AVR then to the projector. I use separate paths for video and audio to avoid handshakes and sync delays. As long as 4K files are playing with "movies and TV" app, I don't see the need to go through all the additional software downloads. I read in the Anandtech forum about not using movies&TV app for 4K HDR playback, but it looks great in my set up.

I am going to try and see if this Kodi XDR project software allows me to play 4K HDR files in the same manner as movies & TV app. 

P
No idea how you are successfully playing 2160p HDR titles on your 1080p projector that look great?  Makes no sense?  The Windows & TV app is the most basic player there is.  Not one setting and it looks terrible imo even with a 4k display.  This isn't a success story.  That primitive app has been working since day one.  When you convert HDR to SDR, you lose everything HDR is all about and fake it enough to see something palatable.  PDVD only works using specific SGX enabled motherboards, UHD ROM, and Kaby lake processors.  Otherwise, it will not render.  The reason to use other hardware and software speaks for itself, detailed in this guide.  Without an actual UHD display to compare to a SDR projector, one might think they have a great result.  BTW, this guide has nothing to do with the Kodi XDR project which is for HDR desires using only a 1080p display.  This too tries to replicate what an actual UHD HDR display does by boosting contrast, hue, and brightness settings but achieving far less than an actual HDR displays nit values.  However, for some it might provide further enhancement for 1080p and lower resolution playback but each title needs to be manually adjusted.  I prefer the methods and software provided here for simplicity, automation, versatility, reliability, and quality.

My post was not about HDR output but about conversion to SDR to be able to play ripped 2160P HDR MKV files. Windows movies&TV app takes care of the HDR to SDR conversion along with lossless audio playback and the image looks great on my 1080P projector with slightly better skin tones compared to 1080P files despite the down conversion.
At this time Kodi or PowerDVD17 are not able do the HDR ot SDR conversion for the image to be watchable on 1080P displays. 
I am sure true HDR looks good on a bright TV set, but not on a typical HT projector with a large screen. I am hoping for Epson to come with a native 4K bright projector in 2018. When I  upgrade my projector, I will use your helpful guide to set up my HDR playback.
@brazen1,

First of all, thank you for your guide and your tireless support in these forums.  I would like to start using the procedures you have shared.  This is my current configuration:

- Sony XBR55X800E LCD TV
- Intel Core i5 HTPC, Windows 10 17035 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1050Ti GPU, Kodi Leia Nightly 64-bit
- Yamaha RX-V683 AVR

From what I have read in this thread (I have read most of it, however, not every single post), this combination of HW/SW should be OK for what I would like to play, namely:

1. SDR 720/1080p mkv (with subtitles in most cases)
2. HDR 4k remuxes (also mkv container, with subtitles in most cases)
3. No 3D.

If you would be so kind as to confirm the following for me, before I start installing and configuring MPC-BE, madVR, filters, and the rest of the components:

1. The best nVidia driver version to use is still 385.69? I will Google how to get that version (using the latest version right now) and install it if that is the case.
2. Should I leave the "HDR and Advanced Color" switch off in Windows 10?
3. If I will only play mkv (no ISO or file structure), how should the playercorefactory.xml and the .bat be modified? I am not sure which should be the correct command line to use with MPC-BE for this.
4. To set correctly the RGB full, 12-bit in the nVidia Control Panel, the first step you mention (Select YCbCr422 and save.") is necessary to be able to select 12-bit? I am sorry if you have answered this before.
5. Is there a best madVR version to use, or should I use the latest one, as well as the latest LAV and subtitle filters?

I am sorry for the long post, I want to make sure that I have all the latest and most complete info before going ahead.  Again, thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Bart
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39