Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2018-01-10, 19:15)brazen1 Wrote: Every card is different.  Your 1050Ti (memory unknown?) and my 960 4GB are similar.  They are low to midrange for what we do here but more than capable and acceptable.  How much more algorithm tuning you want to get out of madVR is directly related to how much more you want to spend.  Imo, the extra cost is not worth the extra benefits simply because I'm not made of money and there are plenty of other things to pay for upgrading (constantly it seems) then a little more oomph from a video card.  I'm sure there are plenty of folks where money is no object and want as much as they can get but again imo, it isn't necessary.  I think it's sort of overkill.  I also don't game so, much of what a high end GPU offers simply doesn't apply to me. 

As for madVR tuning, again, depends what you want to do and how your eye grades might be different than another.  Rules of thumb are enhancing low quality sources require more computing power than enhancing a source that is already high quality.  So, if you have a poor quality SD or 720p for example (compressed small file) and you want it to look like a UHD, your GPU has some work to do.  Thankfully, madVR can certainly give it the 'work'.  Likewise, if your source is a 1:1 UHD rip and you're going to play it back on your UHD display, there isn't much work to do.  If you give it work to do thinking it's going to improve the picture, you'll probably notice you're adding or removing information that simply shouldn't be there and dehances (I'm coining that word right here and now) instead of enhancing it.  You can however tailor it to your eye however you see fit, usually to help make up for deficiencies in your display.  Whether it applies or not is a different story and why algorithms are constantly refined and added (the same applies for sources).  At the same time, not every SD, 720p, or 1080p are alike.  Neither are one UHD to another UHD.  A like resolution will behave differently from title to title to some degree.

I'm just a user like you and most others.  I know a little bit about a little bit of everything, sort of.  Some more than others.  LoL.  My collection is fairly diverse.  The bulk of it, the highest source possible.  I have a UHD display.  Image Downscaling means nothing to me.  If I was playing 8k sources, it would.  And so on and so forth for unique users, GPU's, and what YOUR eye likes.  That said (and remember, I'm no expert by any means) so anyone feel free to correct me.  I can hack it, LoL):

Deactivate deinterlacing unless you use TV broadcasts.
Use artifact removal if your GPU can handle it.  Mine can't for UHD but can for SD and HD.  I created separate profiles for this setting.  UHD, HD, and SD.
Turn off all image enhancements unless a last resort.
Adjust Luma before Chroma.  Whatever is left over, apply to Chroma.  Get as much out both as you can.  Then move on to other adjustments.
Create Scaling profiles for 2160p, 1080p, 720p, and SD to tailor each resolution.  Each uses dramatically different settings unlike the one common one you are using (which is fine if your playback looks good to you).  Each individual setting is more than I want to list but if someone requests and list them, I will fill in the blanks.  Understand though, it would be for my GPU, my sources, and my eye.  It pretty much falls into line with others though.
I use other profiles as well but they start to get a little more complicated than they're worth.

Lastly, I've noticed the color space on some HDR's are a little off now that I switched from forcing RGB full to 'use default color settings' in NCP.  Maybe the new driver, maybe I didn't notice before?  It's subtle.  Also, the color space differentiates from HDR to SDR.  I blame this on my display firmware update for taking away HDR as a separate adjustable mode since now it shares SDR mode because it's on the same HDMI input.  Soooooo, I'm going to switch back to forcing RGB FULL for everything again.  I should have left it alone cuz spit happens.

Hope this helps you.
Thanks brazen1!

It certainly helps.  My 1050Ti has 4GB.  I decided on a single profile, since MPC-BE with madVR is only used to play 4K mkvs, and nothing else right now.  So, only 2160p on a 2160p display.  I will give some of your recommendations a whirl (they are very welcome, thanks!).  Since you mention that your 960 4G and the 1050Ti are similar, would you be so kind as to post the settings in your 2160p profile? I would really appreciate it, and I understand that these work for your card, your display, your sources, and your eyes.  Thus, I will not post any complaints or questions in regards to how my setup looks based on your settings.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Bart

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:20
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:29
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-22, 00:38
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-23, 17:15
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-24, 02:23
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-24, 17:22
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-25, 09:26
RE: HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players - by bsoriano - 2018-01-10, 20:52
HELP! - by brazen1 - 2018-08-22, 18:50
RE: HELP! - by zxaura1 - 2018-08-24, 09:32
Problem with DXVA scaling videos - by obstler - 2018-10-27, 10:13
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39