• 28(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2018-01-14, 19:16)brazen1 Wrote: One frame repeat after a few minutes is normal.  This is why many use a custom timing mode either via madVR (best) or NCP (easy).  Last I tried, it limited everything to 8bit so I stopped using custom timings since I really never notice the frame repeat unless I'm looking for it.  If it was more often, it would drive me up the wall.  Thankfully it isn't.  Lowering settings isn't going to eliminate it.  It's because every display 'times' the sync differently.  (Roughly) the spec for the refresh rate on a display is 24Hz.  The FPS (frame rate) for most titles is 23.976.  There is a very small difference there.  24 vs 23.976.  That difference catches up every few minutes.  Nothing to do with your GPU or your rips. 

I have no issue selecting 12bit using driver 390.65 and have tested that it continues switching from 8bit Desktop to 10/12bit Video automatically as usual.  If the way I showed you how to achieve this isn't working for you, there are lots of other ways.  If you are presently at RGB FULL 8bit 60Hz, select 30Hz.  Now select 12bit.  Finally, go back to 60Hz.  It will change back to 8bit as it should for Desktop mode but when a Video mode is started, it will automatically change to 10/12 bit as it should.

You should NEVER turn HDR and advanced color switch on.  We don't want Windows to tell your display to switch or add HDR.  We want madVR to tell the display to use its HDR mode.  Fwiw, I can still manually turn it on.  No idea why you can't but who cares?  IT SHOULD NOT BE ON WHEN YOU ARE WATCHING A VIDEO - EVER.  HDR is something you want your display to do..... NOT Windows.

Plenty have been suggesting that a 1030 is an entry level GPU and not strong enough to apply madVR with any reasonable outcomes.  I don't think it even meets Netflix minimum requirements?  It's been suggested many times to obtain a GPU with at least 4GB of memory.  You could try overclocking it although it may make no difference.  Try it and see.  I think the lowest settings would be bilinear or DXVA?  Not sure, experiment.  You could also start checking off the 'trade quality for performance' options.

We use 60Hz instead of 23Hz initially because we are using Windows Desktop mode and not only Video mode.  23Hz on desktop introduces lag especially mouse, GUI's, etc.  Desktop is designed to be used at 60Hz for many things such as scrolling the Kodi library.  But when video starts, refresh rate automatically switches to 23Hz IF 'match refresh rate' is used.  Match refresh rate is in Kodi and madVR settings.  When finished, it goes back to 60Hz.  This way motion is perfectly smooth matching refresh rate of source like slow panning scenes such as beginning of Cowboys and Aliens or The Wrestler.  All video is perfectly smooth. 

Some displays are only 60Hz at best and not as advertised (120Hz or more).  You must check reality.  In this case they have a problem with 12 missing frames because 60 is not perfectly divisible by 24 (while 120 is perfectly divisible by 24).  So, 3:2 Pulldown is used to add missing 12 frames at the expense of terrible motion.  To correct, 60Hz display users mismatch refresh rate of source and always use 60Hz GPU setting and apply 'Smooth Motion' setting in madVR to help eliminate judder but it is not as perfect as using a 120Hz or higher refresh rate display to begin with.  Far from it imo.
 Hi brazen1:

While I thoroughly appreciate the extremely detailed & informative response; as always - and the wealth of support & help you've provided in gettings things setup & running extremely well, I have a feeling that on this last post, there's been some miscommunication. 

I never mentioned anything about turning On HDR in Windows Display Settings; that was never an issue.
I also understand the differences between 60hz and 24hz, and the whole 24p (vs 23.976), and keeping Desktop at 60hz and letting video playback adjust refresh rates to 24hz when needed - that again was not the issue. 

I also do not believe my issue w/ MadVR has anything to do with refresh rates or the settings in NCP. 

My issue is exclusively to do with MadVR/MPC-BE not being able to play UHD HDR on my system. Video playback has some serious lag - and when I say serious, I'm not talking about 24p looking like it's playing 60p or vice versa. I'm talking about entirely unplayable. Stop & go. 

My first thought was also that it's my GPU, the GT 1030. But over the last couple of days I'm now finding out that there are others, including bjoroy (who posted above in this thread) that GT 1030 is capable of UHD HDR playback using MadVR/MPC-BE/Lav Filters. So I don't necessarily believe that's my issue. 

However, at this point I've exhausted almost all MadVR settings to get it to work. Beginning from your suggested settings to the most Performance Friendly - Non Quality settings; I still can't get it to work. 

That's the bad news. 

The good news is, on that same system - same software - same everything - I'm getting absolutely perfect, 100% flawless playback of UHD HDR using the Windows "Movies & TV App" or "PowerDVD 17". In fact the Windows Movies & TV App is giving me exceptional picture quality, better then even PDVD. The colors are brilliant, unlike I've ever seen. 

The MadVR/MPC-BE/LAV Filters route is just not working for me. I don't know how others have gotten it to work with their GT 1030 but it just won't work for me. 

I know how to use playercorefactory to get PDVD to play all my media with "4K" in filename, but I was wondering, is there any way to get my "4k" media to playback in Windows Movies & TV App as the external player in Kodi?

Thanks!
(2018-01-14, 19:16)brazen1 Wrote: One frame repeat after a few minutes is normal.  This is why many use a custom timing mode either via madVR (best) or NCP (easy).  Last I tried, it limited everything to 8bit so I stopped using custom timings since I really never notice the frame repeat unless I'm looking for it.  If it was more often, it would drive me up the wall.  Thankfully it isn't.  Lowering settings isn't going to eliminate it.  It's because every display 'times' the sync differently.  (Roughly) the spec for the refresh rate on a display is 24Hz.  The FPS (frame rate) for most titles is 23.976.  There is a very small difference there.  24 vs 23.976.  That difference catches up every few minutes.  Nothing to do with your GPU or your rips. 

I have no issue selecting 12bit using driver 390.65 and have tested that it continues switching from 8bit Desktop to 10/12bit Video automatically as usual.  If the way I showed you how to achieve this isn't working for you, there are lots of other ways.  If you are presently at RGB FULL 8bit 60Hz, select 30Hz.  Now select 12bit.  Finally, go back to 60Hz.  It will change back to 8bit as it should for Desktop mode but when a Video mode is started, it will automatically change to 10/12 bit as it should.

You should NEVER turn HDR and advanced color switch on.  We don't want Windows to tell your display to switch or add HDR.  We want madVR to tell the display to use its HDR mode.  Fwiw, I can still manually turn it on.  No idea why you can't but who cares?  IT SHOULD NOT BE ON WHEN YOU ARE WATCHING A VIDEO - EVER.  HDR is something you want your display to do..... NOT Windows.
Thanks brazen1!

Appreciate the info on the frame repeat.  I watched "Wonder Woman" last night, and I could not notice it.  Now I need to finalize the keyboard shortcuts and program my Harmony appropriately to exit MPC-BE.

Also thank you for the alternative method to set 12 bits, that worked perfectly.

And thanks for the reinforcement in terms of the Windows switch, I will leave it always off.

Regards,

Bart
(2018-01-15, 01:13)luci5r Wrote:
(2018-01-14, 19:16)brazen1 Wrote:  
 The good news is, on that same system - same software - same everything - I'm getting absolutely perfect, 100% flawless playback of UHD HDR using the Windows "Movies & TV App" or "PowerDVD 17". In fact the Windows Movies & TV App is giving me exceptional picture quality, better then even PDVD. The colors are brilliant, unlike I've ever seen. 
 How are you getting Windows 10 to play UHD HDR files in the Movies & TV App? Whenever I try to play one of my UHD rips (inside mkv container), the app says it cannot play that file.  Were there any settings you had to change to achieve this? Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
(2018-01-15, 16:14)bsoriano Wrote:
(2018-01-15, 01:13)luci5r Wrote:
(2018-01-14, 19:16)brazen1 Wrote:  
 How are you getting Windows 10 to play UHD HDR files in the Movies & TV App? Whenever I try to play one of my UHD rips (inside mkv container), the app says it cannot play that file.  Were there any settings you had to change to achieve this? Thanks.

Regards,

Bart

Hi Bart,

I'm also playing UHD HDR in mkv container, proper .mkv file. I didn't have to do anything at all. Did not touch any settings. In fact I didn't even know I could play a UHD HDR MKV in the Windows Movies & TV App. When I right click on my MKV file, I chose Open With and I had a couple of options including the Movies & TV app. I just selected that and it starting playing.

I have Windows 10 Pro x64 with latest updates; GT 1030 with latest Nvidia drivers, if that makes any difference.

Quite honestly I'm finding the Movies & TV app producing better image and colors then the other apps, and HDR kicked on in my display instantly. No lag, no issues. I just need to figure out if I can use Movies & TV app as an external player to Kodi for my UHD HDR MKV files.

Thanks.
Hi luci5r.

My reply was not only to you.  It included thoughts for others also.  I don't like using the 'quote' feature any more than I have to and assumed you would understand.  Sorry for the confusion. 

I don't think you are able to use your 1030 for the reason I stated.  Although you read another user is using it, he also stated the caveats.  Fwiw, I'm using 1:1 iso rips.  These are the most demanding to play not only because of the container but because it is not compressed either.  Anything less is not as demanding such as a compressed .mkv.  A .mkv is player friendly with anything since it is not demanding.  (Almost) anything when it comes to HDR.  The Windows & TV app is qualified for HDR.mkv but not HDR.iso.  Furthermore, it does not have a single adjustment.  Since the beginning, playback has been oversaturated to the point it's unwatchable for me.  I don't think it does high bitrate audio either but don't quote me.  I don't think you will link the app to a playercorefactory as Windows has hidden the .exe and made it unaccesable afaik.  Fwiw, the photo app is the same thing.  Perhaps you can link it?  I wouldn't suggest using either but if you're happy with the results, that's all that counts.  I'm sorry you can't get satisfactory results with your GTX 1030.  Perhaps a conversation with users that are succesfull using that GPU can instruct you better.

The same is true for PDVD.  While it will play an HDR.mkv, without correct hardware, it will not play an HDR.iso.  Manually switching on the Windows HDR and advanced color options switch is required before playback and off when finished.  It is not automated.  Leaving it on all the time wipes out the Windows desktop.  MPC + LAV Filters + madVR does not require special hardware.  It does not cost anything.  It handles .mkv, .iso, and any other file type with ease although like every other player except PDVD (provided you meet the requirements) there are no menus.  Using the methods here, everything is fully automated.  Pressing play on a Kodi library title simply works.  Everything is handled behind the scenes for you once the initial setup has been completed.  While some players provide menus, they do not provide HDR menus.  This thread is for those of us who want the most cost effective, reliable, backwards compatible, fully automated and versatile setups excluding paid subscription streaming solutions because we serve our own higher quality media.

Fwiw, a new LAV Filter 'nightly' has been released for anyone else who happens to read this post.  https://www.videohelp.com/software/LAV-Filters
Also a new madVR version.  https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t...&page=2418
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Thanks Brazen1, even without quotation I concluded that there was an answer to my question because 60Hz and not 23Hz , obviously trying I understood its usefulness I realized  and understood  that must be so , for not to be interested in a 3D automation but only for 4K content and SDR ,  how should I continue in the various steps for an ideal automation of your guide ?
utilization Kodi DSPlayer 17.6 and external Player MPC-BE 64Bit and PotPlayer , obviously with Windows 10 Fall Creators.

my playercorefactory :

<playercorefactory>
    <players>
        <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\MPC-HC.exe</filename>
            <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
            <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
            <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
            <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
            <playcountminimumtime>1140</playcountminimumtime>
        </player>
        <player name="MPC-BE" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\MPC-BE64.exe</filename>
        </player>
        <player name="PotPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\DAUM\PotPlayer\PotPlayerMini.exe</filename>
            <args>"{1}"</args>
        </player>
        </players>
    <rules action="prepend">
            <rule video="true" player="MPC-BE">
            <rule internetstream="true" player="VideoPlayer" /></rule>
    </rules>
</playercorefactory>

now I do not use anymore MPC-HC - what rule should I insert for content in 4k folder BDMV/CERTIFICATE and content in 4k .mkv automated  ?

thanks for any support
1st, change this
<rule internetstream="true" player="VideoPlayer" /></rule>
to
<rule internetstream="true" player="VideoPlayer" />
</rule>  (add this to another line)

I think you need to 'close' this also
<rule video="true" player="MPC-BE">
like this
<rule video="true" player="MPC-BE" />

now I do not use anymore MPC-HC - what rule should I insert for content in 4k folder BDMV/CERTIFICATE and content in 4k .mkv automated  ?
Remove all of this
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC\MPC-HC.exe</filename>
        </player>

To add for 4k BDMV is index.bdmv aka .m2ts playlists.  So, add
<rule filetypes="iso|bdmv|mpls|m2ts"player="MPC-BE"/>  (this is already how guide code is minus the 3D you don't want)  You didn't state player so MPC-BE is default.  You can replace "MPC-BE" with what you want but probably only this is capable.

4k.mkv will need to be distinguished so use this and make sure HDR is in the file name.
<rule filename=".*HDR10.*|.*HDR.*|.*hdr.*" player="MPC-BE"/>  You didn't state player so MPC-BE is default.  You can replace "MPC-BE" with what you want but probably only this is capable.

This could probably use some rework and testing but right now I'm tied up.
I don't know how this would react with DSPlayer build.  You should really be asking all this there but I don't mind helping from time to time. 
Wasn't it you that was developing a cache cleaning add-on some time ago?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Yes, MPC-BE is intended as the main external player, I will test myself with these suggestions provided.
NO, I'm sorry but I'm not the developer of this cache cleaning add-on .
so it would be correct as you suggested  ? , I wait for your confirmation before trying it in case there were errors .
Thanks.

<playercorefactory>
    <players>
            <player name="MPC-BE" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\MPC-BE64.exe</filename>
        </player>
        <player name="PotPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
            <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\DAUM\PotPlayer\PotPlayerMini.exe</filename>
            <args>"{1}"</args>
        </player>
        </players>
    <rules action="prepend">
            <rule filetypes="iso|bdmv|mpls|m2ts"player="MPC-BE"/>
            <rule filename=".*HDR10.*|.*HDR.*|.*hdr.*" player="MPC-BE"/>
    </rules>
</playercorefactory>
"Looks good on paper".  Give it a whirl.  No need to wait for me to test.  I can't since I don't use potplayer or internet streams except trailers.
I don't know how these are going to react?  Let us know.

If you get errors, you may want to remove them unless they serve a purpose unbeknownst to us.

EDIT.
Update, the Playercorefactory file would seem to work with all external player , I have also removed from the file Playercorefactory the two lines (<rule video="true" player="MPC-BE" /> and
<rule internetstream="true" player="VideoPlayer" />)

I ask you , how can I do to insert HDR in a folder  bdmv / certificate ? I believe it is impossible to do it ... another thing I noticed is , when I interrupt the movie and I go out from MPC-BE , Kodi DSPlayer minimizes itself in the Windows 10 taskbar  , this behavior is normal  ?
Thanks.
(2018-01-16, 14:46)gotham_x Wrote: Update, the Playercorefactory file would seem to work with all external player , I have also removed from the file Playercorefactory the two lines (<rule video="true" player="MPC-BE" /> and
<rule internetstream="true" player="VideoPlayer" />)

I ask you , how can I do to insert HDR in a folder  bdmv / certificate ? I believe it is impossible to do it ... another thing I noticed is , when I interrupt the movie and I go out from MPC-BE , Kodi DSPlayer minimizes itself in the Windows 10 taskbar  , this behavior is normal  ?
Thanks.
 gotham_x,

I think that if you have the bdmv / certificate folder structure inside an iso, then you can insert HDR in the iso file name.

Regards,

Bart
the rip was done directly in the bdmv / certificate folder, not .iso
@ Brazen1
Another doubt that tells me to ask.
For skin needs, in addition to the wording .hdr, in the file name I should also insert the words 4k, this to make the 4k logo appear on the case, the rule <rule filename=".*HDR10.*|.*HDR.*|.*hdr.*" player="MPC-BE"/>
it will remain unchanged as it is , or needs some changes.
nomenclature 4k/hdr
Apollo 13 (1995).4k.hdr.mkv
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39