• 31(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2018-01-29, 20:59)brazen1 Wrote: I don't think 2160p needs to be doubled unless you are using an 8k display so I just have mine on Jinc for scaling since there is no 'none' to select.  I also don't think you need any image enhancements but I was curious if using any with 6GB's of RAM even made difference.  Evidently the same happens to you as me using 4GB.  When 8k comes around, this might have some meaning but not now imo.  Are you able to select even one enhancement such as RCA?  I can't or I drop frames.
 Which image enhancement is RCA? I don't see that in the madVR settings.
brazen1,

Would you recommend playing other resolutions with MCP-BE/madVR? Are you playing anything other than 4K and 3D with external players?

Thanks,

Bart
RCA is short for Reduce Compression Artifacts under Processing/Artifact Removal tab.  So is RBA, RRA, and RRN.  Fwiw, I created a profile for 'Processing' and separated processes for 'UHD', 'HD', and 'SD' because I use different processing for each and have a mix of these in my collection.  That should answer your 2nd question.  Yes, my library covers a pretty large variation of titles.  My aim has always been to cover everything in the Kodi wiki test files, many of which represent my own collection.  I don't necessarily reserve a specific type for a specific player.  I have 3 players.  Sometimes I manually select the player I prefer for a title and other times allow the default player to play that same title at another viewing or perhaps even select a 3rd player manually.  I like the simple versatility and make use of it.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-01-30, 02:32)brazen1 Wrote: RCA is short for Reduce Compression Artifacts under Processing/Artifact Removal tab.  So is RBA, RRA, and RRN.  Fwiw, I created a profile for 'Processing' and separated processes for 'UHD', 'HD', and 'SD' because I use different processing for each and have a mix of these in my collection.  That should answer your 2nd question.  Yes, my library covers a pretty large variation of titles.  My aim has always been to cover everything in the Kodi wiki test files, many of which represent my own collection.  I don't necessarily reserve a specific type for a specific player.  I have 3 players.  Sometimes I manually select the player I prefer for a title and other times allow the default player to play that same title at another viewing or perhaps even select a 3rd player manually.  I like the simple versatility and make use of it.
Thanks brazen1, I didn't realize you were talking about those.  I do have Reduce Banding Artifacts on, with default strength set to low, and strength during fade in/out set to medium.  I had not changed this.  I do not have any of the others set.  I thought you meant the settings under upscaling refinement.  I realize that those were doing nothing, since there was no upscaling being done.

I think I will have to change my chroma upscaling to NGU Sharp medium, since I am still getting dropped frames with NGU Sharp high.  I just set the Image Upscaling to Jinc like you mentioned, I had forgotten about that one.  What should I have for Image Downscaling? Right now I have SSIM 1D strength 100%, but I don't know if this is something I could change so I can try other enhancements.

I like the idea of using external player for more media, and, like you, I have a very diverse collection that includes SD, HD (720p and 1080p) and now 4K.  Do you suggest following the guide that Warner306 wrote (which you reference in your guide in post #205) for creating the profiles? Would you be willing to share your settings for the different profiles you have?

Also, is there any advantage to using PowerDVD if I do not have .iso in my collection, or I don't use menus? Should I consider buying it?  I know that PowerDVD does not use madVR, correct? What other players do you use that do use madVR, apart from MPC-BE?
As always, thank you for your help and advice.

Regards,

Bart
Sory for my stupid questios.. this is (3d setup) it{s only for nvidia user´s...And for amd chipset?
(2017-12-17, 23:32)brazen1 Wrote: Yes, to everything you asked except your GPU.  The 1030 2GB is not strong enough for UHD x265 rips but is probably sufficient for everything else.  I don't think it meets the minimum requirements for subscription streaming such as Netflix HDR either.  For flawless playback of anything, I recommend a 4GB or higher model beginning with inexpensive GTX 960 ( I use) or GTX 1050Ti (positive feedback).  I would also consider full size dual fan models but it is not a requirement.  Also be prepared to use W8 or W10 with or without Creators Updates (I use the latest Fall Creators Update, FCU). 
Hi brazen1

Thanks a lot for all your work and dedication to help and share.

Is there a way to have Kodi displaying an menu to chose which of the external players defined should be invoked?
The idea is to be able to choose something like 2D playback for an 3D mkv.
(2018-01-30, 20:53)bsoriano Wrote:
(2018-01-30, 02:32)brazen1 Wrote: RCA is short for Reduce Compression Artifacts under Processing/Artifact Removal tab.  So is RBA, RRA, and RRN.  Fwiw, I created a profile for 'Processing' and separated processes for 'UHD', 'HD', and 'SD' because I use different processing for each and have a mix of these in my collection.  That should answer your 2nd question.  Yes, my library covers a pretty large variation of titles.  My aim has always been to cover everything in the Kodi wiki test files, many of which represent my own collection.  I don't necessarily reserve a specific type for a specific player.  I have 3 players.  Sometimes I manually select the player I prefer for a title and other times allow the default player to play that same title at another viewing or perhaps even select a 3rd player manually.  I like the simple versatility and make use of it.
Thanks brazen1, I didn't realize you were talking about those.  I do have Reduce Banding Artifacts on, with default strength set to low, and strength during fade in/out set to medium.  I had not changed this.  I do not have any of the others set.  I thought you meant the settings under upscaling refinement.  I realize that those were doing nothing, since there was no upscaling being done.

I think I will have to change my chroma upscaling to NGU Sharp medium, since I am still getting dropped frames with NGU Sharp high.  I just set the Image Upscaling to Jinc like you mentioned, I had forgotten about that one.  What should I have for Image Downscaling? Right now I have SSIM 1D strength 100%, but I don't know if this is something I could change so I can try other enhancements.

I like the idea of using external player for more media, and, like you, I have a very diverse collection that includes SD, HD (720p and 1080p) and now 4K.  Do you suggest following the guide that Warner306 wrote (which you reference in your guide in post #205) for creating the profiles? Would you be willing to share your settings for the different profiles you have?

Also, is there any advantage to using PowerDVD if I do not have .iso in my collection, or I don't use menus? Should I consider buying it?  I know that PowerDVD does not use madVR, correct? What other players do you use that do use madVR, apart from MPC-BE?

Regards,

Bart 
 Image Downscaling is for those who NEED to downscale.  You are using a 4k panel.  There is no reason to downscale a 4k title to 1080p for example.  So, it doesn't matter what you enter for Downscaling.  You aren't using it.  Same principle you asked about upscaling 4k titles.  There is nothing to upscale 4k titles on a 4k display.  In both cases I think Cubic is the lowest resource default?

I think Warners guide shows how to create profiles.  If not, I'll put it up here but check there 1st.  He's pretty thorough.  Sharing mine is pointless I think.  Everyone has unique tastes and hardware.  I simply use a profile for 'Processing' I break up into UHD, HD, and SD because for each I apply different settings.  I create another profile for 'Scaling' I break up into 2160p, 1080p, 720p, and SD and again apply different settings for each.  Those different settings depend on a users 'taste' and hardware abilities.  I urge everyone to create profiles to custom tailor your various titles to get the best image quality possible.

I would say No or Not really to your PDVD questions.  It really shines for menus because nothing else is 100% capable except maybe DVDFab Ultra Player which I have not tried yet.  I am interested in it though because unlike PDVD, I don't think it requires special hardware for UHD rips.

The madVR homepage should show a list of players compatible using it.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-02-03, 21:08)defleppard Wrote: Sory for my stupid questios.. this is (3d setup) it{s only for nvidia user´s...And for amd chipset?
 Your questions are not stupid at all but my answer is because I have no AMD test bed, only nVidia.  (I think) early on in this thread there were some confirmations for Intel and AMD graphic successes but I think it involved manual intervention and I have no code(s) for them if they were even needed that I can remember sharing.  Have a read through the guide and see if you can find any references.

(2018-02-05, 19:40)juras Wrote:
(2017-12-17, 23:32)brazen1 Wrote: Yes, to everything you asked except your GPU.  The 1030 2GB is not strong enough for UHD x265 rips but is probably sufficient for everything else.  I don't think it meets the minimum requirements for subscription streaming such as Netflix HDR either.  For flawless playback of anything, I recommend a 4GB or higher model beginning with inexpensive GTX 960 ( I use) or GTX 1050Ti (positive feedback).  I would also consider full size dual fan models but it is not a requirement.  Also be prepared to use W8 or W10 with or without Creators Updates (I use the latest Fall Creators Update, FCU). 
Hi brazen1

Thanks a lot for all your work and dedication to help and share.

Is there a way to have Kodi displaying an menu to chose which of the external players defined should be invoked?
The idea is to be able to choose something like 2D playback for an 3D mkv. 
 Yes, press C or bring up the context menu from your remote.  Select 'Play Using' and a list of the players will show.
All players have a configuration for using 3D and for automatically selecting the preferred method of 3D formats.  If you don't want to watch a 3D format using a players preferred method, change it to off.  This works fine for a 3D Frame Packed MVC iso for example.  I don't know what you're going to do with a 3DSBS.mkv for example?  It's probably going to show two side by side images.  This is yet another reason I use Full Frame Packed rips in an iso.  Maybe someone else knows how to play a 3D.mkv in 2D simply.  I don't.  A quick google search led me to this though https://play3d-2d.blogspot.nl/2014/02/3d...layer.html but I didn't try it as I have no use for 3D in 2D personally.

I'm having the worst trouble with an LG OLED 65E6P and 3D through Windows. I had on of the new Kaby Lake Beebox NUCs which I bought for HDR support but that's been fouled up. The 3D flipped the TV into 3D mode but the 3D is just 'messed up.' I posted about it in this topic months ago. I can't explain it. I can only say that it feels like my eyeballs are being ripped out. That was with Intel 630 Graphics. The NUC went back.

Today I am using a server with an ASUS Taichi, Intel Kaby Lake low-power CPU and a Geforce 1050 TI. With Geforce drivers 390.77 I think (?). So I've changed CPUs, drivers, and video card companies - with the exact same effect! I've tried different 'viewpoint' settings, different 'stereoscopic depth' settings, and swapping eyes to no avail. I can kind of "focus" the 3D on one plane to where it looks nice but once there's movement or an action scene it feels like someone's ripping your eyeballs out.

My Android TV devices and my Xbox One X and PS4 Pro all give me fantastic 3d. I just wonder why I feel like I'm getting my eyeballs poked by a fork whenever I try this on a Windows 10 device. This TV is passive 3D. Batteries don't need to be charged. ON the Nvidia Setup Wizard, I see the green trapezoid on my left eye and the trapezoid with triangle on the right. There is nothing I can do with any settings and I've gone berzerk changing everything and testing everything in about 3 different all day sessions from the middle of last year through today.

I'm now thinking about pulling the 1050 out and putting into an Unraid server, running Windows 10 through a virtual machine. (Ryzen 5.) Or I could take my Ryzen 7 desktop there, pull out the hard drive from the Kaby Lake machine, boot from it, and use the 1050 Ti. That may be quicker than fiddling with a virtual machine just for testing results. hmmmm
I can't have anyone getting their eyes poked with a fork on my watch so, let's try to get you going a little at a time especially since you appear to have tried.

I can help you with NVidia maybe.  Go into your bios if necessary and disable onboard graphics so you switch to PCIe graphic card to be primary.  Right click desktop/display settings and make sure 3D is enabled.  Go into NCP under stereoscopic and enable it if it isn't already.  Select 'Test stereoscopic 3D'.  Is it ok or are your eyes getting forked?  Continue if needed.  HDMI your PC/Server directly into your panel from your 1050 HDMI 2.0 port.  Be certain the port you are plugging into on your TV is 3D capable because I don't know.  Perhaps they all are?  Perhaps not?  Later you can elaborate like incorporating an AVR if used and automating everything but let's make sure all your basics are good first.  Don't assume anything or deviate if the step for a diagnosis is still problematic.

You may need to adjust 3D resolution in NCP if you failed to do it when you installed drivers.  So, run the setup wizard again.  When it returns you to NCP, look and see if your resolution is 1080p at 24Hz RGB FULL 12 bit.  If it isn't, select and save it so it is.  Then, select 2160p at 60Hz leaving RGB FULL 12bits and save.  Pay no attention to the blank former 12bit, you're set now.  It's in 8bit as it should be but you don't want to select it so leave it alone.

What is your preferred player?  MPC?  PDVD?  No flavor of Kodi or any other is going to work fwiw.  Those are your choices.  Try your (I assume) 3D Frame Packed from Windows explorer which will auto mount using Windows 10 (I assume) if in an iso (I assume) and report back unless you don't have a proper player setup correctly.  You may also need to set the default settings for 3D in your panel since you messed with them.  Let's at least find out if NCP 3D test is working now that the drivers and hardware are proper?

(2018-02-05, 21:38)brazen1 Wrote:
(2018-01-30, 20:53)bsoriano Wrote:

Regards,

Bart  
 Image Downscaling is for those who NEED to downscale.  You are using a 4k panel.  There is no reason to downscale a 4k title to 1080p for example.  So, it doesn't matter what you enter for Downscaling.  You aren't using it.  Same principle you asked about upscaling 4k titles.  There is nothing to upscale 4k titles on a 4k display.  In both cases I think Cubic is the lowest resource default?

I think Warners guide shows how to create profiles.  If not, I'll put it up here but check there 1st.  He's pretty thorough.  Sharing mine is pointless I think.  Everyone has unique tastes and hardware.  I simply use a profile for 'Processing' I break up into UHD, HD, and SD because for each I apply different settings.  I create another profile for 'Scaling' I break up into 2160p, 1080p, 720p, and SD and again apply different settings for each.  Those different settings depend on a users 'taste' and hardware abilities.  I urge everyone to create profiles to custom tailor your various titles to get the best image quality possible.

I would say No or Not really to your PDVD questions.  It really shines for menus because nothing else is 100% capable except maybe DVDFab Ultra Player which I have not tried yet.  I am interested in it though because unlike PDVD, I don't think it requires special hardware for UHD rips.

The madVR homepage should show a list of players compatible using it. 
Thanks brazen1!

I followed Warner306's guide and created upscaling and processing profiles for 2160p, 1080p, 720p and SD.  I know I need to tweak them, since 720p and 1080p movies played with MPC-BE do not look better than when played with the Kodi default player.  Also, I need to revisit the 2160p one, since now my 4K movies do not look as good as before.

Thanks for your reply in terms of PDVD.  I will ignore it.  I downloaded and tried the DVDFab Media Player 5, and it seems to have issues with HDR under the latest Windows 10 17074, it does not detect that the machine is HDR capable, so it does not pass HDR info to the TV.  Unfortunately, that build of Windows 10 has an issue with the settings menu, and I have not been able to turn on the Windows 10 HDR setting, to see whether that makes a difference.  In their forums other people have commented of having a similar issue.

Also with the DVDFab player, while it is very easy to add it as another player in the playercorefactory xml, I have not been able to arrive at the appropriate parameters to pass to it so that it plays the movie.  It opens (when selected from the Play With... menu), but does not load the movie.  Unfortunately, I was not able to find any documentation on command line arguments for it.  A user in their forum asked them if they would support using the player as an external player in Kodi, and their response is that they have no plans to do this.  My impression is that the person who responded did not have a clear idea of what this means.

Again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Bart
*EDIT*
DVDFab Player does indeed auto mount iso's just as PDVD does and does not require an additional .bat.  However, it will require an additional .bat for 3D as does every other external player.

I am using the latest Windows v.1709.  I am able to turn the Windows HDR and advanced color switch on and off normally.  I don't think it's an O/S issue even though others commenting elsewhere say it is simply because mine works as intended and I'm not experiencing any loss of use.  I would bet dimes to dollars it is a GPU driver issue and nothing to do with Windows 10.

DVDFab player is opening but not playing the movie because I have not added code for it.  I would have to create a separate .bat with new code so it will mount and make additions to the playercorefactory.  I'm not going to do this until I've tested it and from your reports that may be in vain.  There was a new update for it today so I will wait for more knowing most of the kinks with it are worked out before using up my trial.  I'll also be relying on feedback of which I don't see much yet.  The best addition they could make imo is to build in an auto mount like PDVD does but if not I can.  The only side effect would be my way requires a permanent drive letter and PDVD only requires a temporary which to some like myself means a lot.  One nice benefit is my way is faster.

If you want to help out, use Nvidia driver 385.69.  That may get your Windows HDR manual switch working.  If it does, engage it, manually select your HDR.iso in Windows Explorer by right clicking and select open with DVDFab player.  If it only opens the player but doesn't mount or begin playback, close it and then:  Manually select your HDR.iso in Windows Explorer by double clicking it and let Windows auto mount it.  Then browse to BDMV folder and right click index.bdmv to open with DVDFab Player and see if it begins playback.

(2018-02-08, 02:29)brazen1 Wrote: I am using the latest Windows v.1709.  I am able to turn the Windows HDR and advanced color switch on and off normally.  I don't think it's an O/S issue even though others commenting elsewhere say it is simply because mine works as intended and I'm not experiencing any loss of use.  I would bet dimes to dollars it is a GPU driver issue and nothing to do with Windows 10.

DVDFab player is opening but not playing the movie because I have not added code for it.  I would have to create a separate .bat with new code so it will mount and make additions to the playercorefactory.  I'm not going to do this until I've tested it and from your reports that may be in vain.  There was a new update for it today so I will wait for more knowing most of the kinks with it are worked out before using up my trial.  I'll also be relying on feedback of which I don't see much yet.  The best addition they could make imo is to build in an auto mount like PDVD does but if not I can.  The only side effect would be my way requires a permanent drive letter and PDVD only requires a temporary which to some like myself means a lot.  One nice benefit is my way is faster.

If you want to help out, use Nvidia driver 385.69.  That may get your Windows HDR manual switch working.  If it does, engage it, manually select your HDR.iso in Windows Explorer by right clicking and select open with DVDFab player.  If it only opens the player but doesn't mount or begin playback, close it and then:  Manually select your HDR.iso in Windows Explorer by double clicking it and let Windows auto mount it.  Then browse to BDMV folder and right click index.bdmv to open with DVDFab Player and see if it begins playback.
Thanks brazen1!

I added code to the playercorefactory.xml for DVDFab Player.  I am not using .iso, so I did not create a .bat.  I will try right clicking one of my mkvs and seeing if "Open with.." DVDFab Player works.  Obviously, if I open a file from within the app it does work.  I don't think I will go back to the older nVidia driver, since the Windows HDR switch is not really important to me.

I will also try the latest version of the player and see how it goes with that one.  More to come on this.

Regards,

Bart
I've gotten past that. I'm not sure what fix I did worked - moving card to other slot, removing HDMI splitter, reinstalling all components.

I'm still tinkering. I had no problems with UHD discs firing in MPC-BE until I fixed my 3D problems. Now it complains the disc isn't in the drive. The only thing I'm seeing is that PowerDVD executes whenever an ISO is mounted perhaps it's got a lock on it? This happens outside of Kodi. All I have to do is right click an ISO, hit MOUNT DRIVE w/VCD and then PowerDVD fires up. I've been all through the control panel default programs (no PowerDVD) and file types (iso says VCD not PowerDVD.) I don't know why PowerDVD insists on firing up and I'm still trying to stop it.
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39