Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2018-02-05, 21:38)brazen1 Wrote:
(2018-01-30, 20:53)bsoriano Wrote:
(2018-01-30, 02:32)brazen1 Wrote: RCA is short for Reduce Compression Artifacts under Processing/Artifact Removal tab.  So is RBA, RRA, and RRN.  Fwiw, I created a profile for 'Processing' and separated processes for 'UHD', 'HD', and 'SD' because I use different processing for each and have a mix of these in my collection.  That should answer your 2nd question.  Yes, my library covers a pretty large variation of titles.  My aim has always been to cover everything in the Kodi wiki test files, many of which represent my own collection.  I don't necessarily reserve a specific type for a specific player.  I have 3 players.  Sometimes I manually select the player I prefer for a title and other times allow the default player to play that same title at another viewing or perhaps even select a 3rd player manually.  I like the simple versatility and make use of it.
Thanks brazen1, I didn't realize you were talking about those.  I do have Reduce Banding Artifacts on, with default strength set to low, and strength during fade in/out set to medium.  I had not changed this.  I do not have any of the others set.  I thought you meant the settings under upscaling refinement.  I realize that those were doing nothing, since there was no upscaling being done.

I think I will have to change my chroma upscaling to NGU Sharp medium, since I am still getting dropped frames with NGU Sharp high.  I just set the Image Upscaling to Jinc like you mentioned, I had forgotten about that one.  What should I have for Image Downscaling? Right now I have SSIM 1D strength 100%, but I don't know if this is something I could change so I can try other enhancements.

I like the idea of using external player for more media, and, like you, I have a very diverse collection that includes SD, HD (720p and 1080p) and now 4K.  Do you suggest following the guide that Warner306 wrote (which you reference in your guide in post #205) for creating the profiles? Would you be willing to share your settings for the different profiles you have?

Also, is there any advantage to using PowerDVD if I do not have .iso in my collection, or I don't use menus? Should I consider buying it?  I know that PowerDVD does not use madVR, correct? What other players do you use that do use madVR, apart from MPC-BE?
As always, thank you for your help and advice.

Regards,

Bart  
 Image Downscaling is for those who NEED to downscale.  You are using a 4k panel.  There is no reason to downscale a 4k title to 1080p for example.  So, it doesn't matter what you enter for Downscaling.  You aren't using it.  Same principle you asked about upscaling 4k titles.  There is nothing to upscale 4k titles on a 4k display.  In both cases I think Cubic is the lowest resource default?

I think Warners guide shows how to create profiles.  If not, I'll put it up here but check there 1st.  He's pretty thorough.  Sharing mine is pointless I think.  Everyone has unique tastes and hardware.  I simply use a profile for 'Processing' I break up into UHD, HD, and SD because for each I apply different settings.  I create another profile for 'Scaling' I break up into 2160p, 1080p, 720p, and SD and again apply different settings for each.  Those different settings depend on a users 'taste' and hardware abilities.  I urge everyone to create profiles to custom tailor your various titles to get the best image quality possible.

I would say No or Not really to your PDVD questions.  It really shines for menus because nothing else is 100% capable except maybe DVDFab Ultra Player which I have not tried yet.  I am interested in it though because unlike PDVD, I don't think it requires special hardware for UHD rips.

The madVR homepage should show a list of players compatible using it. 
Thanks brazen1!

I followed Warner306's guide and created upscaling and processing profiles for 2160p, 1080p, 720p and SD.  I know I need to tweak them, since 720p and 1080p movies played with MPC-BE do not look better than when played with the Kodi default player.  Also, I need to revisit the 2160p one, since now my 4K movies do not look as good as before.

Thanks for your reply in terms of PDVD.  I will ignore it.  I downloaded and tried the DVDFab Media Player 5, and it seems to have issues with HDR under the latest Windows 10 17074, it does not detect that the machine is HDR capable, so it does not pass HDR info to the TV.  Unfortunately, that build of Windows 10 has an issue with the settings menu, and I have not been able to turn on the Windows 10 HDR setting, to see whether that makes a difference.  In their forums other people have commented of having a similar issue.

Also with the DVDFab player, while it is very easy to add it as another player in the playercorefactory xml, I have not been able to arrive at the appropriate parameters to pass to it so that it plays the movie.  It opens (when selected from the Play With... menu), but does not load the movie.  Unfortunately, I was not able to find any documentation on command line arguments for it.  A user in their forum asked them if they would support using the player as an external player in Kodi, and their response is that they have no plans to do this.  My impression is that the person who responded did not have a clear idea of what this means.

Again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Bart

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:20
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:29
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-22, 00:38
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-23, 17:15
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-24, 02:23
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-24, 17:22
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-25, 09:26
RE: HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players - by bsoriano - 2018-02-08, 01:32
HELP! - by brazen1 - 2018-08-22, 18:50
RE: HELP! - by zxaura1 - 2018-08-24, 09:32
Problem with DXVA scaling videos - by obstler - 2018-10-27, 10:13
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39