• 39(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
I found out that DvDFab V3 is not same as V5. In V3, HDR works (as you already mentioned without windows slider), even in windows 8.1 it works. Therefore, I guess it is using private NVidia API (similar to madVR). v5, on the other hand, does not auto-change anything (resolution, refresh rate or HDR), and is completely system dependent.

However, for V3 to work properly with HDR, the color has to be 12bit. This is only possible we set "Use Nvidia setting" for color and set color at 12bit. If you select "Use system or default setting", the bit is set to 8bit and I see magenta color everywhere when playing HDR. In my case, the 12bit setting was maintained after reboot in Windows 10 (same driver version as yours). In Windows 8.1, there are no such issues. It's Nvidia color only and setting 12bit was never an issue.

So, I think I will stick with Wijndows 8.1 for now, till DVDFab gets their act together and supports autoswitch (which they have promised on their forum) and supports NVidia private API.
(2018-05-15, 02:11)brazen1 Wrote: Currently I'm using 397.64.  I don't know if settings survive a reboot?  I know they didn't as of a couple driver versions ago.  It was for retaining the 12bit setting that reverted to 8bit.  I'm using 8bit now to avoid banding since nVidia has no 10bit setting and my display, most displays, truly only handle 10bit but our choices are only 8bit or 12bit so, until they give us a 10bit RGB setting, I'll be using 8bit.  If your display handles 12bit, by all means use it but you'll need an older driver to retain it.  In the mean time, this is why I don't care if 12bit doesn't survive a reboot and defaults to 8bit.  I am having an AAC audio problem with this driver and a bunch previous.  I had it in the past and by some miracle fixed it.  For the life of me, those same fixes won't work again.  I will probably end up going back to 385.28.  I 'Use nvidia Color Settings' RGB FULL 8bit.
Thanks!
Using the newer driver, I was getting some sort of really bad video drawing corruption when browsing the KODI library.  I could eliminate it by unchecking 'use a fullscreen window' but that is not compatible with external players leading to KODI minimizing and losing focus.  Discovered turning off stereoscopic in NCP also corrected it and I could leave 'use a fullscreen window' enabled.  I ended up changing some code around that ensured 3D would only enable when needed and turn off when not.  Then I discovered AAC audio was not producing multichannel without manually toggling Windows Audio Properties back and forth which could have also been automated but why?  This was the last straw.  I'm back to using 385.28 once again.  Everything is working as usual with no changes to anything.

DVDFab Player v.5 needs some TLC big time for UHD HDR and 3D.... I'll remain using v.3 for perfect UHD menus and PowerDVD v.18 for perfect 3D menus.  For times when a little more quality needs to be unbridled, I'll use MPC-BE with components.  Fwiw, I don't experience any magenta tint or any problems at all using 8bit and W10.  There is no need to use 12bit or W8.1 in my case.  Everything automates.  The picture produced from FAB looks very good imo.  Did you turn HDR on in the v.3 FAB player and turn HDR>SDR off?  Can't imagine why you're getting a magenta tint much less why W8.1 is the only thing that cures it?  Check you are using D3D11/Auto Native in LAV.  Also, Passthrough sending metadata in madVR with Already calibrated and BT709 or DCI-P3 when using madVR player(s).

I added a link to my madVR settings.bin file for new users to have a starting point.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xuhr0te0k957z...s.zip?dl=0
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I use bluray and UHD folder rips. Probably a stupid question (considering how much you've taught us), but how do I tell Kodi that a specific Bdmv is bluray vs UHD. In other words, how do I name UHD folders in my Library.
(2018-05-16, 16:47)brazen1 Wrote: Using the newer driver, I was getting some sort of really bad video drawing corruption when browsing the KODI library.  I could eliminate it by unchecking 'use a fullscreen window' but that is not compatible with external players leading to KODI minimizing and losing focus.  Discovered turning off stereoscopic in NCP also corrected it and I could leave 'use a fullscreen window' enabled.  I ended up changing some code around that ensured 3D would only enable when needed and turn off when not.  Then I discovered AAC audio was not producing multichannel without manually toggling Windows Audio Properties back and forth which could have also been automated but why?  This was the last straw.  I'm back to using 385.28 once again.  Everything is working as usual with no changes to anything.

DVDFab Player v.5 needs some TLC big time for UHD HDR and 3D.... I'll remain using v.3 for perfect UHD menus and PowerDVD v.18 for perfect 3D menus.  For times when a little more quality needs to be unbridled, I'll use MPC-BE with components.  Fwiw, I don't experience any magenta tint or any problems at all using 8bit and W10.  There is no need to use 12bit or W8.1 in my case.  Everything automates.  The picture produced from FAB looks very good imo.  Did you turn HDR on in the v.3 FAB player and turn HDR>SDR off?  Can't imagine why you're getting a magenta tint much less why W8.1 is the only thing that cures it?  Check you are using D3D11/Auto Native in LAV.  Also, Passthrough sending metadata in madVR with Already calibrated and BT709 or DCI-P3 when using madVR player(s).

I added a link to my madVR settings.bin file for new users to have a starting point.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xuhr0te0k957z...s.zip?dl=0
I've been very happy with DVDFab v.3 for all my UHD playback. I haven't updated to v.5 and seeing your post, I don't feel I need to. The only one issue I've been having is that DVDFab does not seem to respond to my Remote Control, like PowerDVD does. I bought a remote on Amazon which I never had to setup or configure or anything at all. Everything from Kodi to PowerDVD had out-of-box support. But not DVDFab. Is your remote control working fully with DVDFab? Did you need to setup or do anything?

One other thing I wanted to ask ... Not counting MPC-BE/MadVR (which requires > GT1030), or PowerDVD (which requires all sorts of hardware upgrades which I'm not interested in just for PowerDVD to play UHD), is DVDFab currently the only other option for full UHD HDR playback?

Thanks!
I rip to iso usually and sometimes mkv, avi, mp4, etc. and never just file structure.  File structure is not a file, it's a folder.  It's the file name that counts, not the folder name.  I name that iso etc. accordingly:  If it's anything except a UHD, (720p, 1080p, etc.) I put 'BluRay' anywhere in the name of the file.  The KODI media info displays it as a BluRay title.  If it's a UHD, I put 'HEVC' anywhere in the name of the file.  KODI media info recognizes it as an HEVC title.  If it's a UHD HDR, I put 'HDR' and 'HEVC' anywhere in the name of the file.  The word 'BluRay' should not be part of the name for a UHD title.  For this latter naming, the code here knows to treat an 'HDR' title different from anything else per its rule based on the file name 'HDR' in this case.  You could also name it 'HDR10' or 'hdr'.  The rule recognizes all three of these.

Some DVDFab Player v.3 keyboard shortcuts are different from most common players.  It requires a few keymaps that do not correspond with any of the other common ones.  Some of the keys do respond the same as other players.  I mapped the special DVDFab Player v.3 keys to the softkeys on my Harmony 900 since not all the hard keys match.  Not sure of your remote capabilities?  Those keys are:  Rewind, Fast Forward, Subtitles, Cycle Audio, Next Chapter, and Previous Chapter.  You can find the Hotkeys legend here http://blog.dvdfab.cn/detailing-the-keyb...pport.html

Afaik, PowerDVD (with special hardware) and DVDFab Player (without special hardware) are the only two players that handle UHD HDR complete 1:1 rip playback (with menus).  Other players can still handle UHD HDR complete 1:1 rip playback but (without menus).  However, you could enter the 'playlist' menu of a player and gain access to other file than just the main movie which usually defaults based on file size.  You'd just have to know or trial and error each file in the playlist to get to what you are looking for.  You could also sort by file size to omit small files of no interest.  I map the playlist hotkey to my remote to get quick access when using MPC-BE which otherwise plays only the main title of my complete 1:1 rip.  If memory serves me right, this is why I use an MPC-BE and an MPC-HC player.  Each offers hotkeys the other does not, this particular key being one of them.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(Continued from my thread on AVS)

I reinstalled Nvidia drivers v.385.28 after a DDU uninstall and ran 'enable nvidia 3d.reg'. Still cannot play 3D mkv. Also, I tried following your 3D setup guide but it does not seem to work on Windows 10 as I don't see the same options. 

In your madVR settings, following files are mentioned but I don't see them listed here. Where do I find them? 
3D ENABLE.bat
Disable3D.bat

I see that in the OP you created couple of bat files but they seems to be related to opening correct player and not useful for playing 3d mkv files.

Edit: Just another thought, your configuration is a lot complex because you are dealing with 3D ISOs so for 3D mkvs things should be a lot simpler.  Since it is just a regular video, maybe there is a way in madVR to check that if the file is 3D (not sure how madVR checks that), do not scale it to 4K, instead change display to 1080p/60 and then I can just toggle SBS mode on the projector? It should be similar to how Kodi plays 3D mkvs via internal player.
I've been using W10 and this method since the day it was released.  What do you mean by "I don't see the same options"?  Same as what?  I can only assure you, this method and W10 indeed work perfectly for me or the guide would not be here.

I was told madVR controls stereoscopic ON/OFF and no further scripts would be necessary.  In my testing, I found madVR only controls stereoscopic at O/S level.  It does not control stereoscopic at driver level in my testing (which is also crucial).  I was then told a script could be launched from madVR instead of the KODI playercorefactory.xml to control stereoscopic additionally at driver level.  This was the script Warner and Manni often refer to.  While this script controls at driver level by editing registry settings, it seems rather complicated to simply turn 3D OFF/ON.  I assume this is because it was created for JRiver users, not KODI users who can launch from a playercorefactory.xml unlike other front ends, thus its need for advanced code and flexibility it offers. 

I created a simple 3D Enable.bat and a 3D Disable.bat to test madVR's script launching and left it at that.  That is what's referenced in the pictures.  It doesn't matter if they remain or are removed thus why I see no need to include them in this guide.  I need more functionality.  Indeed madVR launches the scripts and they work.  These files would be sufficient for exclusive .mkv users but not for iso users since iso's additionally need to be mounted.  The method guided here is for diverse collections that have a mix of anything and not just mkv's exclusively.  So, the code here needs to be more involved to include mounting and stereoscopic controls as well as other actions.  These involved codes cannot be launched from madVR like the two simple 3D Enable/Disable scripts.  The involved codes need to be sorted and assigned based on content which is defined by 'Rules' in the playercorefactory.xml. (Player assignment, virtual ROMS, 3rd party .exe, 3D control, file type and name sorting for example)  MadVR cannot assign like the playercorefactory can.  However, it can control one player and one simple rule such as 'is the file 3D or not?' which is partly why a couple Enable/Disable 3D scripts would suffice a single player, single file type (mkv) user. 

Here is the 3D Enable.bat code:

@echo OFF
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /enable
EXIT

and the 3D Disable.bat code:

@echo OFF
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvstlink.exe" /disable
EXIT

Perhaps they are of some use to you and you can avoid the additional scripts as you deem worthy.

As stated elsewhere, you only use one player for everything.  You stated you only use one file type, mkv's.  I doubt you would find any benefit using the methods here for your simple requirements.  This isn't to say it will not work for you.  You can read the thread and find similar users who had code tailored for them that should apply to you as well.  You've determined the method here is only ample for player selection, iso usage and too complicated to be 3D.mkv friendly besides stating it doesn't work.  Perhaps another method would be best for you.  This guide is not going to change to only satisfy mkv users.  That's what partly makes this guide unique.  Keep in mind, driver level stereoscopic still needs to be controlled and what you consider not useful and too complex applies to simple mkv users as well.  I will say I have a few 3D.mkv's TAB and SBS along with iso's.  I can assign playback through capable players (automated or manually) and 3D mode switches on/off on demand as well as corresponding resolution and refresh rate switching with zero intervention or complications.  Your faux k PJ may behave differently and be better served by another method although your help requests elsewhere suggested alternate methods were not working either. 

If you'd like to pursue the method here, provide your playercorefactory.xml and any related bat files along with pertinent madVR settings as well as NCP stereoscopic switch position during playback.  Maybe there is something obvious preventing you from perfect playback that can be diagnosed.  I need to know exactly what you are telling software to do, how you go about it, and how your hardware responds.  The more details, the better.  Other than that, your particular PJ may be hampering you above and beyond what any software and code should do for you but that hasn't been determined imo.

Yes my requirements are very simple, when 3D mkv is played MadVr should just downscale the resolution to 1080p60 to allow 3D to play. Right now it just scales the movie like regular 1080p video to 4K amd hence 3d does not work.

On the other hand, if I keep my desktop resolution to 1080p (not ideal) and just use Kodi's default player with framerate matching turned on, it works fine with 4K mkv as well as 3D. For 4K, the resolution switches to 4k/24 and for 3D it stays at 1080p. What it does not do is invoke Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D, but that is easily remedied by switching my project's 3D mode from Auto to "Side  by Side". 

Adding the above 3D batch files to madVR does not seem to do anything. The screen does blink few times as if it is switching to Steroescopic 3D but then goes back to 4k/24. Also, I have gone through the 3D setup mentioned in first post as well created the scheduled task for Windows 10.
Forget all the KODI and batch files for now.  You need to achieve proper basic playback in Windows Explorer before enhancing.  Confirm the basics first.  I assumed you already achieved that from your success reply elsewhere but what you state here is different.

Set desktop to native 2160p 60Hz.  Use 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p59, 2160p60 display modes in madVR to switch to, no others.  In MPC rates function unchecked.  (hopefully when installing MPC you also downloaded optional 3D file).  Use FSE in madVR.  Enable 3D settings in madVR for each and every profile.  Just as you found them in my .bin.  You can delete the enable/disable.bat reference in madVR.  Either use enable nvidia 3d.reg or use 3D Wizard in NCP.... or both.  I use Frame Packed but maybe your rip was not done correctly?  Using MKVToolNix Header Editor/Video Track/Video stereo mode, is the value set to 1 or 11 for SBS or 2 or 3 for TAB and saved?  After confirming your file is good to go, right click your 3d.mkv file and select 'open with' and use MPC.  Display should pop up confirm 3D mode active, auto switch to SBS or TAB, report 2160p at matched refresh rate (23Hz or 24Hz) and turn on your glasses.  Done deal. 

What happens?

(2018-05-30, 22:50)brazen1 Wrote: Forget all the KODI and batch files for now.  You need to achieve proper basic playback in Windows Explorer before enhancing.  Confirm the basics first.  I assumed you already achieved that from your success reply elsewhere but what you state here is different.

Set desktop to native 2160p 60Hz.  Use 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p59, 2160p60 display modes in madVR to switch to, no others.  In MPC rates function unchecked.  (hopefully when installing MPC you also downloaded optional 3D file).  Use FSE in madVR.  Enable 3D settings in madVR for each and every profile.  Just as you found them in my .bin.  You can delete the enable/disable.bat reference in madVR.  Either use enable nvidia 3d.reg or use 3D Wizard in NCP.... or both.  I use Frame Packed but maybe your rip was not done correctly?  Using MKVToolNix Header Editor/Video Track/Video stereo mode, is the value set to 1 or 11 for SBS or 2 or 3 for TAB and saved?  After confirming your file is good to go, right click your 3d.mkv file and select 'open with' and use MPC.  Display should pop up confirm 3D mode active, auto switch to SBS or TAB, report 2160p at matched refresh rate (23Hz or 24Hz) and turn on your glasses.  Done deal. 

What happens?
Nothing happens. Movie plays just like regular 1080p movie showing both left and right images upscaled at 4k/24. When I play the movie I do get a black screen and a green circle for a split second as it something is loading but I don't get a prompt and it goes back to desktop with the player playing movie in window mode (I don't have "Start movie in full screen" turned on). Even if I turn it on, there is no change. 

Reinstalled MPC-BE with 3D with optional 3D download. Confirmed all the settings in madVR. I also checked the headers of all 3D mkvs and they are setup correctly. I also went through the 3D Wizard as well as ran Enable nvidia3d.reg from Madvr folder. I can manually switch turn on "3D Display Mode" under windows but then it shows a red alert text saying "You need to change the resolution on one or more of your displays to view Stereoscopic 3D video"  which I believe is because of the display resolution set at 4k/60.
Fwiw, that message in red has always displayed for me also.  There should be nothing preventing you from enabling it even with the red message displaying.  It must be enabled.  It has no bearing on anything for my setup since resolution switching obliges the change it alerts prior to playback.  It's simply telling us:  Hey, now that you enabled stereoscopic at O/S level here, if you want to play 3D, you're going to have to change your resolution from 2160p down to 1080p because 1080p is the specification standard for 3D (not 2160p).  You can do this manually or automatically (the preferred method) and will achieve the action the message is alerting.  We simply wait to do it until necessary (upon 3D playback).  In the mean time, we enjoy native 2160p desktop.  I don't know why this automatic resolution and rate change doesn't happen for you?  You should be able to have your desktop set at anything you desire and when you start a title (any title), the player or madVR should oblige the 'match resolution/refresh rate' you command.  We use madVR to command this by entering all the rates/resolutions our displays are capable of.  Then no matter what the rate and resolution of the video is, your display is sent the info and it switches accordingly.

Since we assume all your parameters for GPU, madVR, Windows, LAV filters, MPC player, your rip, and HDMI connections throughout entire chain are correct, and we know these settings do indeed work based on confirmations including my own, it appears your PJ drops the ball when this resolution/rate switch info is sent to it.  How you will need to workaround that is beyond my scope.  You might try commanding your PJ to accept matching resolution and rates from another component like the MPC Player since it has provisions similar to madVR although I doubt it would make a difference.  Still, worth a try.  Knowing nothing about your PJ, perhaps there is a setting in it that is preventing acceptance of auto switching for matching?  Keep in mind, 3D is HDMI 1.4 and UHD is HDMI 2.0a.  Nvidia and AMD handle both from a single 2.0a port.  Perhaps AMD handles the data sent to your PJ differently than nVidia but I doubt this also.  When you went through the NCP 3D Wizard and returned to NCP, you should have entered in at 720p 3D with an overblown screen.  Did you adjust to 1080p 3D at 23/24Hz and save before adjusting to 2160p 60Hz and saving?

Yes, when I ran the Nvidia 3D setup it changed the resolution correctly to 3D and once the Wizard exited, it came back to 720p 3D screen where I selected 1080p 3D and hit save. After that I selected 4K/60 and clicked saved.  So the PJ does switch correctly during the 3D Wizard but same thing does not happen when movie is played. It switched the display from 4k/60 to 4k/24 but not to 1080. 

I uninstalled the older drivers, installed the latest and reran the 3D setup. After the Wizard ended, I did not switch to 4K/60 resolution but instead kept it at 1080p. Projector reports the resolution as 1080p 24(FP). When I played 3D mkv the resolution was again changed to 4K/24. Once I exited the player it went back to 1080p/24.  

So at this point, my guess is that it's madVR that's to be blamed as it does not recognize 3D and keeps playing everything at 4K/24.
Is the format frame-packed MPEG4-MVC? Is it a direct, uncompressed rip? 3D MVC is the only 3D format supported by madVR.
For whatever reason, your PJ is handling your mkv as a 2D and not a 3D.  It is correctly upscaling and switching resolution except we don't want it to for 3D but we know it is capable when it should for 2D suggesting it drops the ball for 3D but not 2D.  Provided you set madVR as instructed (double check my picture settings or use my .bin), selected madVR as the renderer in MPC, disabled all internal filters in MPC, and enabled all 5 external filters with preferred merit, I can't see how this does not switch 3D properly for you?

You are using W10 as emphasized here and elsewhere correct?

Perhaps your PJ is sensitive for 3D SBS/TAB in mkv and can't sort it from a 2D.  Go here and D/L an MVC iso from the 3D test clips section.  These particular samples are not full blown iso's.  They don't even require mounting.  It would help if you had a full rip in file structure or packed in an iso but these samples will at least confirm or deny frame packed switching vs SBS/TAB.  Right click the iso and select open with MPC.  You might also try mounting by double clicking and navigate to BDMV folder selecting index.bdmv be opened with MPC by right clicking as before.   Samples (wiki)  What happens?

• 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39