•   
  • 39(current)
Win -  HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
I found out that DvDFab V3 is not same as V5. In V3, HDR works (as you already mentioned without windows slider), even in windows 8.1 it works. Therefore, I guess it is using private NVidia API (similar to madVR). v5, on the other hand, does not auto-change anything (resolution, refresh rate or HDR), and is completely system dependent.

However, for V3 to work properly with HDR, the color has to be 12bit. This is only possible we set "Use Nvidia setting" for color and set color at 12bit. If you select "Use system or default setting", the bit is set to 8bit and I see magenta color everywhere when playing HDR. In my case, the 12bit setting was maintained after reboot in Windows 10 (same driver version as yours). In Windows 8.1, there are no such issues. It's Nvidia color only and setting 12bit was never an issue.

So, I think I will stick with Wijndows 8.1 for now, till DVDFab gets their act together and supports autoswitch (which they have promised on their forum) and supports NVidia private API.
(2018-05-15, 02:11)brazen1 Wrote: Currently I'm using 397.64.  I don't know if settings survive a reboot?  I know they didn't as of a couple driver versions ago.  It was for retaining the 12bit setting that reverted to 8bit.  I'm using 8bit now to avoid banding since nVidia has no 10bit setting and my display, most displays, truly only handle 10bit but our choices are only 8bit or 12bit so, until they give us a 10bit RGB setting, I'll be using 8bit.  If your display handles 12bit, by all means use it but you'll need an older driver to retain it.  In the mean time, this is why I don't care if 12bit doesn't survive a reboot and defaults to 8bit.  I am having an AAC audio problem with this driver and a bunch previous.  I had it in the past and by some miracle fixed it.  For the life of me, those same fixes won't work again.  I will probably end up going back to 385.28.  I 'Use nvidia Color Settings' RGB FULL 8bit.
Thanks!
Using the newer driver, I was getting some sort of really bad video drawing corruption when browsing the KODI library.  I could eliminate it by unchecking 'use a fullscreen window' but that is not compatible with external players leading to KODI minimizing and losing focus.  Discovered turning off stereoscopic in NCP also corrected it and I could leave 'use a fullscreen window' enabled.  I ended up changing some code around that ensured 3D would only enable when needed and turn off when not.  Then I discovered AAC audio was not producing multichannel without manually toggling Windows Audio Properties back and forth which could have also been automated but why?  This was the last straw.  I'm back to using 385.28 once again.  Everything is working as usual with no changes to anything.

DVDFab Player v.5 needs some TLC big time for UHD HDR and 3D.... I'll remain using v.3 for perfect UHD menus and PowerDVD v.18 for perfect 3D menus.  For times when a little more quality needs to be unbridled, I'll use MPC-BE with components.  Fwiw, I don't experience any magenta tint or any problems at all using 8bit and W10.  There is no need to use 12bit or W8.1 in my case.  Everything automates.  The picture produced from FAB looks very good imo.  Did you turn HDR on in the v.3 FAB player and turn HDR>SDR off?  Can't imagine why you're getting a magenta tint much less why W8.1 is the only thing that cures it?  Check you are using D3D11/Auto Native in LAV.  Also, Passthrough sending metadata in madVR with Already calibrated and BT709 or DCI-P3 when using madVR player(s).

I added a link to my madVR settings.bin file for new users to have a starting point.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xuhr0te0k957z...s.zip?dl=0
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1803/MPC-BE PDVD18 DVDFab3 KODI/960 4GB/RGB 4:4:4/8bit Desktop mode=60Hz /10/12bit Video mode=Matched Refresh rates/65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D
I use bluray and UHD folder rips. Probably a stupid question (considering how much you've taught us), but how do I tell Kodi that a specific Bdmv is bluray vs UHD. In other words, how do I name UHD folders in my Library.
(2018-05-16, 16:47)brazen1 Wrote: Using the newer driver, I was getting some sort of really bad video drawing corruption when browsing the KODI library.  I could eliminate it by unchecking 'use a fullscreen window' but that is not compatible with external players leading to KODI minimizing and losing focus.  Discovered turning off stereoscopic in NCP also corrected it and I could leave 'use a fullscreen window' enabled.  I ended up changing some code around that ensured 3D would only enable when needed and turn off when not.  Then I discovered AAC audio was not producing multichannel without manually toggling Windows Audio Properties back and forth which could have also been automated but why?  This was the last straw.  I'm back to using 385.28 once again.  Everything is working as usual with no changes to anything.

DVDFab Player v.5 needs some TLC big time for UHD HDR and 3D.... I'll remain using v.3 for perfect UHD menus and PowerDVD v.18 for perfect 3D menus.  For times when a little more quality needs to be unbridled, I'll use MPC-BE with components.  Fwiw, I don't experience any magenta tint or any problems at all using 8bit and W10.  There is no need to use 12bit or W8.1 in my case.  Everything automates.  The picture produced from FAB looks very good imo.  Did you turn HDR on in the v.3 FAB player and turn HDR>SDR off?  Can't imagine why you're getting a magenta tint much less why W8.1 is the only thing that cures it?  Check you are using D3D11/Auto Native in LAV.  Also, Passthrough sending metadata in madVR with Already calibrated and BT709 or DCI-P3 when using madVR player(s).

I added a link to my madVR settings.bin file for new users to have a starting point.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xuhr0te0k957z...s.zip?dl=0
I've been very happy with DVDFab v.3 for all my UHD playback. I haven't updated to v.5 and seeing your post, I don't feel I need to. The only one issue I've been having is that DVDFab does not seem to respond to my Remote Control, like PowerDVD does. I bought a remote on Amazon which I never had to setup or configure or anything at all. Everything from Kodi to PowerDVD had out-of-box support. But not DVDFab. Is your remote control working fully with DVDFab? Did you need to setup or do anything?

One other thing I wanted to ask ... Not counting MPC-BE/MadVR (which requires > GT1030), or PowerDVD (which requires all sorts of hardware upgrades which I'm not interested in just for PowerDVD to play UHD), is DVDFab currently the only other option for full UHD HDR playback?

Thanks!
I rip to iso usually and sometimes mkv, avi, mp4, etc. and never just file structure.  File structure is not a file, it's a folder.  It's the file name that counts, not the folder name.  I name that iso etc. accordingly:  If it's anything except a UHD, (720p, 1080p, etc.) I put 'BluRay' anywhere in the name of the file.  The KODI media info displays it as a BluRay title.  If it's a UHD, I put 'HEVC' anywhere in the name of the file.  KODI media info recognizes it as an HEVC title.  If it's a UHD HDR, I put 'HDR' and 'HEVC' anywhere in the name of the file.  The word 'BluRay' should not be part of the name for a UHD title.  For this latter naming, the code here knows to treat an 'HDR' title different from anything else per its rule based on the file name 'HDR' in this case.  You could also name it 'HDR10' or 'hdr'.  The rule recognizes all three of these.

Some DVDFab Player v.3 keyboard shortcuts are different from most common players.  It requires a few keymaps that do not correspond with any of the other common ones.  Some of the keys do respond the same as other players.  I mapped the special DVDFab Player v.3 keys to the softkeys on my Harmony 900 since not all the hard keys match.  Not sure of your remote capabilities?  Those keys are:  Rewind, Fast Forward, Subtitles, Cycle Audio, Next Chapter, and Previous Chapter.  You can find the Hotkeys legend here http://blog.dvdfab.cn/detailing-the-keyb...pport.html

Afaik, PowerDVD (with special hardware) and DVDFab Player (without special hardware) are the only two players that handle UHD HDR complete 1:1 rip playback (with menus).  Other players can still handle UHD HDR complete 1:1 rip playback but (without menus).  However, you could enter the 'playlist' menu of a player and gain access to other file than just the main movie which usually defaults based on file size.  You'd just have to know or trial and error each file in the playlist to get to what you are looking for.  You could also sort by file size to omit small files of no interest.  I map the playlist hotkey to my remote to get quick access when using MPC-BE which otherwise plays only the main title of my complete 1:1 rip.  If memory serves me right, this is why I use an MPC-BE and an MPC-HC player.  Each offers hotkeys the other does not, this particular key being one of them.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1803/MPC-BE PDVD18 DVDFab3 KODI/960 4GB/RGB 4:4:4/8bit Desktop mode=60Hz /10/12bit Video mode=Matched Refresh rates/65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D
  •   
  • 39(current)

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.34 Average

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players4.3429