• 40(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
So, brazen I think I had a bug similar to what you were describing with new Nvidia drivers. After a power outage, my AVR would stick in multichannel after playing a multichannel source. It would also output all stereo sources in multichannel. Other codecs would switch the AVR into the correct mode, but it couldn't handle multichannel sources.

This is the single most irritating I have had happen to my hardware, and it's even more annoying when it's caused by a power outage. 

Here is what I tried:
  • Cleaning and reinstalling the same driver as well as a much older driver;
  • Switching from WASAPI Exclusive to WASAPI Shared, which changed the behavior but didn't fix it;
  • Resetting the AVR to its factory defaults;
  • Running the Windows audio troubleshooter.

Before attempting a system restore, I selected Nvidia (High Definition Audio) as the audio source and played some content including a video with a multichannel AAC audio track. I didn't get any sound with the AAC source. I switched back to the AVR as the audio device and the problem seem to disappear.

I still don't know if this fixed it, but the problem is likely resolved. It was like something was saved in the memory of the AVR or Windows and this was somehow reset when I selected another audio device on the same HDMI connection. It couldn't be the EDID, as I'm pretty sure it is erased when the driver is uninstalled.

I have doubts this will fix your problem if you encounter it again, but thought I'd pass it along anyways...
Hi Warner.  That's a good thought.  To satisfy the OP that madVR is not responsible, we can simply eliminate it.  In MPC, change the preferred renderer from madVR to Default.  madVR will be out of the equation.  Your SBS.mkv should open in twin screens very briefly, your display should flash black as it goes into SBS or TAB, and a moment later it should display 3D with the two images overlapped.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
We're cross posting, LoL.  It wasn't a power outage issue here eliminating the AVR settings retention or registry corruption upon BSOD eliminating the HTPC.  It was simply a little overlooked nVidia audio driver bug introduced for some reason and every subsequent driver release since inception.  I doubt they are aware of it.  Some posts back, I listed my results testing drivers from 385.28 and up.  Either the audio was ok but the video wasn't or vice versa.  I forget the exact release that introduced it, but it's listed in that post.  This is the main reason I cannot and do not use any of the newer drivers.  I have too many TV seasons compressed to a dribble including AAC audio that I demand play multichannel.  The biggest problem is multichannel audio in video mode vs playable web video.  I simply refuse to manually change 7.1 to stereo and vice versa depending on source.  That to me is ridiculous.  You say your fix using newer driver(s) is to select the AVR as your audio device in Windows audio settings I assume.  The only devices I can select are video card ports and they are all controlled by nVidia audio.  How are you selecting anything different?  If you mean KODI internal player, you should be able to set audio as stereo which will reveal a hidden AC3 setting you can enable and then set back to 5.1 or 7.1 and still use Wasapi.  Are you able to select the Windows audio 5.1 or 7.1 setting AND play a youtube video without manually changing anything?  I am on the older driver.  Sorry to hear your trials tribulations after your outage.  You went through a lot trying to get back what you had......
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2018-06-01, 02:08)Warner306 Wrote: Is the format frame-packed MPEG4-MVC? Is it a direct, uncompressed rip? 3D MVC is the only 3D format supported by madVR.
 Here is the info of the file that I'm testing. It's not a direct/uncompressed rip. 
https://pastebin.com/Y3srAYbW

Here is the info from Kodi 3D Sample

https://pastebin.com/9kKTqTbd

The only difference I see is that the Kodi sample has Format profile of Stereo [email protected] / [email protected] while my file has [email protected]

Quote:Posted by brazen1 - 1 hour ago
Hi Warner.  That's a good thought.  To satisfy the OP that madVR is not responsible, we can simply eliminate it.  In MPC, change the preferred renderer from madVR to Default.  madVR will be out of the equation.  Your SBS.mkv should open in twin screens very briefly, your display should flash black as it goes into SBS or TAB, and a moment later it should display 3D with the two images overlapped.
Tried that, all I see is two pictures side by side. Switching 3D modes on my Pj does not do anything either. On the flip side, I play the same file in Kodi, it shows the option to play as Stereoscopic 3D and then I simply change my Pj 3D mode to Side-by-Side and it works. Also, if I play a 3D Blu-ray via Xbone X, it works as expected. 

The only work around that I can think of is to keep the resolution as 4k/60 but add 1080p/24 in madVR so that it can switch to that resolution with 3D is played and not upscale it?
At the top of MPC-BE menu bar, is View/Stereo 3D Mode set to Auto?  Did you try the sample I linked for you?  KODI should also play sbs.mkv with no hesitation or problems.  Since you confirm it does, so should just about any other player including MPC.  SBS/TAB mkv are very easy to decode and render compared to frame packed.  I still don't understand why you have to manually choose and select which 3D mode let alone evoke it.  Perhaps this is just a quirk with your PJ.  I would question Manni at doom9.  I'm pretty certain he uses a JVC faux k 3D with MPC player and 3D with no problems.  Probably something very simple using these PJ's.....

The answer to your problem is in your log. madVR doesn't support SBS. A frame-packed source should have the two frames stacked on top of each other. You need to make a rip from an original 3D Blu-ray and keep the same 3D format. The 3D format has been altered during the encoding process. Kodi VideoPlayer can handle these sources, and that's probably what you should do.
(2018-06-01, 02:46)brazen1 Wrote: We're cross posting, LoL.  It wasn't a power outage issue here eliminating the AVR settings retention or registry corruption upon BSOD eliminating the HTPC.  It was simply a little overlooked nVidia audio driver bug introduced for some reason and every subsequent driver release since inception.  I doubt they are aware of it.  Some posts back, I listed my results testing drivers from 385.28 and up.  Either the audio was ok but the video wasn't or vice versa.  I forget the exact release that introduced it, but it's listed in that post.  This is the main reason I cannot and do not use any of the newer drivers.  I have too many TV seasons compressed to a dribble including AAC audio that I demand play multichannel.  The biggest problem is multichannel audio in video mode vs playable web video.  I simply refuse to manually change 7.1 to stereo and vice versa depending on source.  That to me is ridiculous.  You say your fix using newer driver(s) is to select the AVR as your audio device in Windows audio settings I assume.  The only devices I can select are video card ports and they are all controlled by nVidia audio.  How are you selecting anything different?  If you mean KODI internal player, you should be able to set audio as stereo which will reveal a hidden AC3 setting you can enable and then set back to 5.1 or 7.1 and still use Wasapi.  Are you able to select the Windows audio 5.1 or 7.1 setting AND play a youtube video without manually changing anything?  I am on the older driver.  Sorry to hear your trials tribulations after your outage.  You went through a lot trying to get back what you had......
 I'm not sure if we have the same issue or not. Windows should default to stereo even if you select 5.1 or 7.1 in the Windows sound configuration wizard. It was stuck in multichannel after playing a multichannel source. Any upconversion of the stereo source should be done by the AVR unless specified by the media player or decoder. So, I can play a stereo source from a video add-on and it won't playback in 5.1; it is stereo and upconverted to Pro Logic II by the AVR. 

I select the AVR as the audio device, which is the device connected to the HDMI port of the GPU. Selecting Nvidia (High Definition Audio) is also a device connected to the same HDMI port, but it specifies the graphics card as the device rather than the AVR. These two devices corrected my issue by overwriting the error caused with the AVR device. The Nvidia (High Definition Audio) device seemed to overwrite the settings for AVR connected to the same HDMI port.

If uninstalling and reinstalling a different driver corrects your problem, then we don't have the same issue, as this did nothing for me. I thought you might be using a system restore, instead, which might mean something similar is stuck in Windows.
Warner, not to add any confusion but, here are some facts regarding my equipment and setup used here:

PowerDVD plays any 3D format and container.  SBS, TAB, Frame Packed MVC, ISO, MKV, etc.  I am never prompted by a player or my display to select a mode or anything else.  All the switching is automated and just happens.  After pressing 'play aka enter' or 'play using' on a title (whether launched from KODI or manually in Windows Explorer) 3D playback begins.  My display prompts me to turn on my glasses, nothing more.

MPC-BE/HC behaves exactly the same way with or without madVR used as the renderer.  Again, any format or container.  The proper settings in madVR and MPC must be set of course.  The OP confirms these settings are indeed set.

KODI internal VideoPlayer does not handle Frame Packed MVC.  It will play but only in 2D.  It does handle SBS/TAB just as other players described above with no manual intervention of any kind other than a display prompt to turn on the glasses.

I think the OP's problem is a limited behavior in his PJ but some of his input suggests a harmony with KODI VideoPlayer should carry over to MPC-BE/HC.  Knowing the elimination of madVR and trying the file solo in Explorer using MPC results in the same problem (two images instead of overlapped) leads me to believe settings in MPC are wrong, his file is a bad rip (OP wasn't clear results using test file), or his PJ is limited for some unknown reason.  Thanks for your input.  Any other suggestions you can think of?

(2018-06-01, 19:02)Warner306 Wrote:
(2018-06-01, 02:46)brazen1 Wrote: We're cross posting, LoL.  It wasn't a power outage issue here eliminating the AVR settings retention or registry corruption upon BSOD eliminating the HTPC.  It was simply a little overlooked nVidia audio driver bug introduced for some reason and every subsequent driver release since inception.  I doubt they are aware of it.  Some posts back, I listed my results testing drivers from 385.28 and up.  Either the audio was ok but the video wasn't or vice versa.  I forget the exact release that introduced it, but it's listed in that post.  This is the main reason I cannot and do not use any of the newer drivers.  I have too many TV seasons compressed to a dribble including AAC audio that I demand play multichannel.  The biggest problem is multichannel audio in video mode vs playable web video.  I simply refuse to manually change 7.1 to stereo and vice versa depending on source.  That to me is ridiculous.  You say your fix using newer driver(s) is to select the AVR as your audio device in Windows audio settings I assume.  The only devices I can select are video card ports and they are all controlled by nVidia audio.  How are you selecting anything different?  If you mean KODI internal player, you should be able to set audio as stereo which will reveal a hidden AC3 setting you can enable and then set back to 5.1 or 7.1 and still use Wasapi.  Are you able to select the Windows audio 5.1 or 7.1 setting AND play a youtube video without manually changing anything?  I am on the older driver.  Sorry to hear your trials tribulations after your outage.  You went through a lot trying to get back what you had......
 I'm not sure if we have the same issue or not. Windows should default to stereo even if you select 5.1 or 7.1 in the Windows sound configuration wizard. It was stuck in multichannel after playing a multichannel source. Any upconversion of the stereo source should be done by the AVR unless specified by the media player or decoder. So, I can play a stereo source from a video add-on and it won't playback in 5.1; it is stereo and upconverted to Pro Logic II by the AVR. 

I select the AVR as the audio device, which is the device connected to the HDMI port of the GPU. Selecting Nvidia (High Definition Audio) is also a device connected to the same HDMI port, but it specifies the graphics card as the device rather than the AVR. These two devices corrected my issue by overwriting the error caused with the AVR device. The Nvidia (High Definition Audio) device seemed to overwrite the settings for AVR connected to the same HDMI port.

If uninstalling and reinstalling a different driver corrects your problem, then we don't have the same issue, as this did nothing for me. I thought you might be using a system restore, instead, which might mean something similar is stuck in Windows. 
 Let me give you a little background to help you understand..... to help me perhaps regarding this new driver vs old driver (bug).  You probably understand I'm an automation nut job.  I want my environment to perform as if I'm an invalid confined to a bed or couch with nothing except a remote in my hand when I want to watch or listen to something on my TV.  This means turning on all the equipment and having all that equipment adjust themselves to all the relative settings for the activity I've selected from that remote with the press of one button.  Once everything is fired up, I want to scan my library, select something, and do nothing else except watch it.  When finished, I want to press one button and turn it all off.  Much of this is accomplished in software but some requires additional code and I share some of my techniques here showing how I obtained my goal.

From that same bed or couch, another activity would be using my computer, which is the same HTPC.  Again, from on to off and everything in between.  I will however add a mouse and keyboard and not only the remote.  I don't want to have to change any settings for anything from activity to activity.  I've noticed (using the newer drivers) a negative affect.  I can manually fix it.  I don't want to manual anything I shouldn't have to.  I could automate the fix.  I don't want to fix anything a driver broke that used to work.  I'd rather wait and see if the driver gets fixed.  Until then, I use a driver prior to breaking.  This old driver does everything I want it to.  Now I see a new driver has improved audio/video sync to lessen dropped frames from every few minutes to every 10 minutes or so.  I would like that improvement but it would be at the cost of reintroducing the audio bug that has not been addressed.  I will continue using the old driver.  I'm not sensitive to a frame drop every few minutes as much as the audio bug.

When I presented the audio bug, I was told not to turn off my AVR.  When I use my HTPC for movies, of course I use my AVR.  When I'm just using my HTPC for computing, I don't use the AVR.  It is off and not in standby (and why should it be), just HDMI passing through.  I use my TV speakers.  Being the automation nut job I am, the volume is controlled by the remote and distinguishes between controlling the TV volume or the AVR volume depending the activity.  With all this in mind (sorry) here is the problem and perhaps you can confirm or deny?

Using your newer driver, with the AVR on - You are achieving all audio formats from all players (MPC, PDVD, DVDFab, KODI, etc.)  DTS:X, Atmos, DTS:HDMA, AAC, AC3, etc.  You can use Wasapi with no conversions letting the players and filters feed your AVR which displays all the formats for what they are - non decoded Hi Def sent exclusively to your AVR.

Now, turn your AVR off and go play a youtube video.  Don't forget to turn your TV speakers up (but this won't matter).  What happens?

(2018-06-01, 19:29)brazen1 Wrote: I think the OP's problem is a limited behavior in his PJ but some of his input suggests a harmony with KODI VideoPlayer should carry over to MPC-BE/HC.  Knowing the elimination of madVR and trying the file solo in Explorer using MPC results in the same problem (two images instead of overlapped) leads me to believe settings in MPC are wrong, his file is a bad rip (OP wasn't clear results using test file), or his PJ is limited for some unknown reason.  Thanks for your input.  Any other suggestions you can think of?
 I seem to be coming and going all the time, so this isn't much of conversation...

I thought the issue was 3D in madVR. My apologies if this is 3D playback with EVR. I didn't know EVR supported 3D playback. 

My only suggestion would be to stick with the player that works. If using Kodi, and Kodi VideoPlayer works, I'd use it. I can't really add much more to the discussion about 3D because I don't have any content. His projector doesn't like PCs. That's what I think.
(2018-06-01, 20:37)brazen1 Wrote: Using your newer driver, with the AVR on - You are achieving all audio formats from all players (MPC, PDVD, DVDFab, KODI, etc.)  DTS:X, Atmos, DTS:HDMA, AAC, AC3, etc.  You can use Wasapi with no conversions letting the players and filters feed your AVR which displays all the formats for what they are - non decoded Hi Def sent exclusively to your AVR.

Now, turn your AVR off and go play a youtube video.  Don't forget to turn your TV speakers up (but this won't matter).  What happens? 
Yes, I know you are an automation nut job. I wouldn't mind all the players, as I'm always playing with various free media players, but all my content is MKV, so it's not necessary.

My issue was the receiver was stuck in multichannel and stereo sources were playing in multichannel. Even with the latest driver, Windows is defaulting to stereo with no source, even when the sound configuration wizard is set to 5.1. It should always default to stereo without a source. I haven't turned off the AVR and used the TV speakers, so I'm not familiar with that behavior. The sound goes to the AVR, so I'm not sure I'd get anything without having a special HDMI setting toggled in the AVR. I can try it some time and see what happens.
What's wrong with these settings ?

- - :

<playercorefactory>
    <rules action="prepend">
         <rule player="VideoPlayer" filename=".*3d.*" name="3d"/>
    </rules>
</playercorefactory>

I want DSPlayer to play all files except the ones what have 3D in the file name but that is not happening. Could it be because I'm using Emby for Kodi and it does not read the file name? If so, how can I fix that?
(2018-06-04, 06:36)ajamils Wrote: What's wrong with these settings ?

- - :

<playercorefactory>
    <rules action="prepend">
         <rule player="VideoPlayer" filename=".*3d.*" name="3d"/>
    </rules>
</playercorefactory>

I want DSPlayer to play all files except the ones what have 3D in the file name but that is not happening. Could it be because I'm using Emby for Kodi and it does not read the file name? If so, how can I fix that?
 I don't think there is anything wrong with that rule. name="3d" is not necessary. Someone else was having a problem with that particular rule with DSPlayer. I don't know why it isn't working. It could be Emby for Kodi, but I don't have a fix.
brazen1:

Two quick questions -

i. In your knowledge, is GTX 1050 capable of running the MPC/MadVR configuration for UHD HDR playback as described in Post #205? I currently have a GT 1030 which doesn't seem to be capable enough; but fortunately I have found a re-purpose for that card and can replace it with something slightly higher in strength.

ii. If playing a UHD HDR MKV - no menus - is there any reason to use MPC/MadVR over DVDFab3? In other words, since Kodi, PDVD & DVDFab can handle all of the desired formats (2D, 3D, 1080p, UHD, HDR, ISO w/ Menus), why use MPC/MadVR?

Thanks!
A GTX 1050 has 2GB or memory.  A GTX 1050Ti has 4GB.  2GB of memory is insufficient for most demands.  4GB meets most requirements and allows ample madVR algorithms to compute.  More memory would allow even higher madVR settings that might be considered overkill as quality improvement is unnoticeable.  However, madshi does release new algorithms from time to time requiring more processing strength and reserve so a little head room is always advisable.  That said, I am able to utilize all the algos I require to date but any intensive additions in the future may require me to lower basic processing to take advantage of it/them which wouldn't be ideal using my GTX 960 4GB.  If I was 'step up', it would be a GTX 1060 6GB since I know the 60 series is sufficient and reasonably priced.  A 70 or 80 series would help future proof but I can't justify the price based on todays video needs and I don't game to take advantage of the extra headroom.  I suppose when the day comes I need a card as strong as the 1080, newer cards will be widely available and the 1080 I can buy used at a discount by then.

DVDFab Player v.3 or v.5 video processing is hard coded.  There's not much in the way of custom tailoring or adjustments.  It does produce a good picture though while most importantly being menu capable.  madVR is always going to offer hands on fine tuning adjustments that are passed to compatible players.  Quality wise, it simply can't be rivaled.  When menus are of no importance, my 'go to' will always be madVR with compatible players.  For users who prefer convenience and versatility over quality, the combos of those 3 players makes sense.  Not everyone is interested in the intricacies involved squeezing performance from their setups and are perfectly satisfied using hard coded processing with limited refining adjustments offered in various players.  Imo, many of the refinements madVR accomplishes are not noticeable enough to impress the common viewer.  I've toggled things on/off and asked others if they notice the difference and was asked what changed?  Although I know what changed because I'm looking for it, others simply don't really care.  There are some things madVR enhances that are undeniably noticed so...…

All this in mind, considering the amounts invested in all our equipment and environments, we, as enthusiasts, out of shear passion, should probably be very interested in obtaining the highest quality and versatility possible especially by utilizing the 'freebies' which are of no additional cost and allow us to unbridle our investments.  This of course requires no more out of pocket money but does require some intermediate knowledge, time, patience, and desire.

• 40(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39