Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2018-07-17, 22:18)brazen1 Wrote: Fab is not the only player to experience the PCF.xml problem.  All players do including KODI VideoPlayer.  What ever player you first use, be it the assigned player obeying PCF.xml rules, or a manually selected player via 'play using' menu, is going to be the only player available for any subsequent playback.  Yes, restarting KODI allows another player to be used but the problem just starts over again.  Once you use a player, no other player can be utilized in any way unless you restart KODI.  Again, v.18 only, not 17.6.  Something has broken the playercorefactory.xml usage in v.18 as we used to know it and in all the months v.18 nightlies have been released, it still has not received any attention.  I currently need and use 5 players so v.18 is out of the question.
I understand the need in your case. I too would not be able to use v18 if I had your scenario. 

However, my case is different and less complex then yours. I'm only using 2 external players - PDVD & DVDFab. 3 total players if you include Kodi's internal player. I have zero issues with the Kodi internal player. Everything works, no matter how many times the player is launched or if an external player was called or not. 3D is not involved in this setup, so my setup is essentially:

BD ISO: PDVD
4K HDR: DVD Fab
Everything else: Kodi

I'm not clear what you mean by "including Kodi VideoPlayer". I'm not experiencing any issues with Kodi's internal video player. I can launch a BD ISO successfully with PDVD as external player. Stop and close PDVD, return to KODI interface, and play any non-ISO, non-4K media in Kodi. No issues. 

What broke in v18, as far as I have experienced, is launching 2 different external players in the same session. If I use PDVD, I cannot play DVDFab unless I quit Kodi. Or vice versa.

The reason this was never an issue (and still isn't), is because it would be an extreme rarity for me to use PDVD and then DVDFab in the same session. And for that extreme rarity, I don't really mind quitting Kodi and restarting. Just two clicks on the remote. 

The reason for my Post #655 above this morning was because something seems to have changed - gone further wrong - since I installed Leia Alpha 2. 

What works:
- Kodi internal player is working, no issues. Whether or not I launch an external player
- PDVD is working, no issues. All BD ISO's open in PDVD. No need to restart Kodi

What changed:
- DVDFab stopped launching no matter what. Even if I launch Kodi fresh - use no other player - launching a 4K title (which is by rules associated to DVDFab) will not launch DVDFab. I get a window on top saying "External Player Active" with an "Ok" button. Nothing else happens. I stay in Kodi's interface. This is not AFTER launching PDVD or Kodi internal player. This is launching DVDFab only on a fresh Kodi start. 

Hope that clarifies.

Edit:

On a side-note, I was just on PowerDVD's website to review the change log for the latest build, and I noticed something under the 4K playback. As we've always noted, for the "4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Playback", PowerDVD requires 7th Generation Intel processors (Kaby Lake). My understanding was that it required the hardware to play any kind of 4K. However, I saw this below on the same page:

Is this implying that for 4K MKV playback (not full UHD ISO), it does not require Kaby Lake, but can playback using Skylake for up to 8bits and GTX 1060 for up to 10bits?

Reason I ask is because I don't have any 4K UHD ISO media - I don't require menus (at the moment). I was only using DVDFab for 4K UHD MKV playback. I'm also going to either upgrade my Primary HTPC/Gaming Rig (GTX 1080) with either the upcoming GTX 11 Series, or a GTX 1080Ti (in case there is a major drop in price for Ti when 11 series releases) --- either of which would bring my current GTX 1080 into this secondary HTPC. Which would then qualify:

"H.265/HEVC (10bits): Nvidia GTX 1060"

I was under the impression only Kaby Lake or above can play 4K UHD in PowerDVD, which I'm not willing to entertain for the secondary HTPC as I would need to upgrade CPU, Motherboard & RAM.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:20
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:29
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-22, 00:38
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-23, 17:15
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-24, 02:23
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-24, 17:22
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-25, 09:26
RE: HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players - by luci5r - 2018-07-17, 22:40
HELP! - by brazen1 - 2018-08-22, 18:50
RE: HELP! - by zxaura1 - 2018-08-24, 09:32
Problem with DXVA scaling videos - by obstler - 2018-10-27, 10:13
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39