Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
Quote:ImageFwiw, my observations:

UHD HDR using PowerDVD requires specialized hardware else I think it's supposed to convert HDR to SDR but that is problematic for me.  DVDFab Player v.5 converts HDR to SDR but I'm not sure if special hardware would let it passthrough.  I just reinstalled todays update to 5.0.1.6 to confirm if that had changed things.  It didn't.  DVDFab Player v.3 remains an HDR passthrough player regardless of CPU and motherboard used and instead switches correctly via proper GPU using private API's.  Not sure if you meet specific requirements or not when doing your SBS comparisons?  Understand, this is an mkv test matching your source tested.

I also tried an hdr.mkv and an ISO 10bit/BT2020 using FAB and PDVD and determined: 

PDVD does not engage HDR mode with an mkv but it does play back and of course does not look correct.  For some reason, it does not prompt me to convert HDR to SDR, since I don't meet its requirements for HDR playback, again probably because it is an mkv.  ISO's are prompted to convert HDR to SDR but then met with a do not meet requirements prompt and there is no playback. 

FAB v.5 does the mkv HDR to SDR conversion without prompting and playback looks decent but of course we'd prefer to keep it HDR passthrough which it doesn't.  An iso does not work at all.  It crashes the GPU drivers requiring a restart.  Updating to current drivers made no difference.  FAB v.3 on the other hand works perfectly no matter if it's an mkv or an iso and playback quality is very good.  I prefer DVDFab v.3 over madVR players for remastered UHD HDR titles.  Older remastered titles look very grainy and overly sharpened to me.  For what ever reason (algo's used) FAB just produces a better picture imo.  This includes banding.  However, I still prefer madVR players for native UHD HDR titles that are not remastered to UHD specs banding and all.

I am mainly interested in IF you are truly engaging HDR using either player and that you are certain.  If so, please list a bit about your hardware.  TIA.

*Edit*.  I feel like I'm intruding especially with all the external player talk in a DSPlayer thread and in no way trying to hijack it.  I know it's already offended a visitor here recently and respect their wishes.  Probably best to move the conversation to the link in my signature if you don't mind.
Brazen, All I can tell you is that the picture looks fantastic in DVDfab 5 on my set. Not sure how to verify that it is truly a 4k image being displayed. Will have to check tv manual on how to see if this info is able to be displayed. Viewing on Sony XBR75Z9D with passthrough from my HTPC with Nvidia 960 through Nakamichi Shockwafe via ARC.

Mark

EDIT*** I can confirm that FAB5 and PWRDVD are both sending 3840x2160 to Sony. Shot a couple pictures with my iphone to show what a drastic differnce in picture quality between the 2. Powerdvd looks completely washed out.

Thread Rating:
  • 39 Vote(s) - 4.49 Average

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:20
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:29
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-22, 00:38
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-23, 17:15
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-24, 02:23
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-24, 17:22
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-25, 09:26
RE: HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players - by acemt - 2018-07-19, 16:06
HELP! - by brazen1 - 2018-08-22, 18:50
RE: HELP! - by zxaura1 - 2018-08-24, 09:32
Problem with DXVA scaling videos - by obstler - 2018-10-27, 10:13

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players4.4939