• 60(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
I was able to quickly and easily create new nfo's for new titles using the 'Export library' function within KODI after all.  Simply select no to all the variables and only missing nfo's are newly created.  This leaves custom artwork untouched.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
@brazen1,

I am using Kodi Leia, and have custom main menu items which are Smart Playlists, like for Oscar winners and IMDb Top 250. In both of those, when I press C on any of the movies I do get the "Play using" context menu option. Same with my 4K movies, which is also a Smart Playlist main menu item. I have not tried with Smart Playlists which point to a specific folder or source, which is the difference I can see between what you are doing and what I am doing.

I use Aeon MadNox as my skin.

Did you try going to Videos, Playlists, selecting one of your playlists from there and seeing if you get the option for Play Using when you bring up the context menu on any of the playlist items?

Regards,

Bart
I've donated way too much time trying to get the smart playlists working but here's what I'm experiencing in case someone can help:

Adding a custom main menu item using the skin 'customize main menu' adds but does not show 'play using' from the context menu.  Common items like 'Movies' or 'TV' do show it but not 'Sources'.
Adding a custom main menu item using a smart playlist and adding the new playlist using the skins 'customize main menu' does show the 'play using' option but only for a single source.
Creating a smart playlist with multiple sources is IMPOSSIBLE for me.  I don't know if it's KODI beta or the skin?  I do know that navigating to the common folder comprised of all the sources, 'play using' is missing using Estuary too.  So, I lean towards KODI being the culprit. 

I have edited the multi sourced playlist via KODI GUI and manually with a text editor for hours and it refuses to link multiple sources and create a playlist.  I think the most important simple rule when using multiple sources is
<match>one or more of the rules</match>
No amount of editing here or any the other variables makes any difference.  Using one source is not a problem.  Creates simply and quickly.  Multiple sources, not a chance.  All my sources are local too.  I'm out of ideas.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
The source folders will never show "Play using.." The shortcut would have to be created some other way.

Can you not make a smart playlist with "path" as the rule and create more than one rule using "path" for each source?
No, that was the first thing I tried.

'Play using' is now listed in the context menu for multi path playlists.  Yay!  Also, I only need to whitelist 2160p resolutions so when closing external player(s), 3D MVC Frame Packed (even though it's 1080p) returns to KODI in focus now.  LEIA v.18 is starting to shape up nicely.  Next hurdle is failure to update watched status using external players (internal VideoPlayer does update).

An update on the banding issue.
I haven't managed to fix, but I noticed where it manifests the most, light cones. Not all the time, ~80% of the time, regardless of the format, 3D or not, etc.
Has anyone noticed this?
I have a problem with using DXVA scaling videos. I keep everything in 2160p resolution (Windows desktop and Kodi UI), and only use the internal player on Kodi17 at the moment. This is on Windows 10 x64, with a Nvidia GTX1060 3GB, and latest Nvidia drivers at the moment (416.34 ). Followed the setup guides in here basically (but without any external players).

Now when playing back 1080p (or lower) content I tried switching through all the available scaling methods during video playback, and DXVA scaling looks the best to me. But there is a problem that whenever playback is finished or stopped the screen flickers on and off a couple of times (like it would change resolutions or refresh rate) before I'm back in the Kodi UI. This does not happen when using any of the other scaling methods -- only when DXVA scaling is used.

Refresh rate switching is turned OFF in Kodi, as I don't like the seconds long black screen everytime on video playback start/stop.

Is this a known Nvidia DXVA scaling behavior problem, or something that can be worked around by changing some settings?
I wouldn't use Nvidia DXVA scaling anyways because the image will be softer. It uses Bilinear, as where Pixel Shaders can be set to Lanczos3, which is much better quality.

There is a chart of Kodi scaling settings here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1966608
(2018-10-27, 16:25)Warner306 Wrote: I wouldn't use Nvidia DXVA scaling anyways because the image will be softer. It uses Bilinear, as where Pixel Shaders can be set to Lanczos3, which is much better quality.

There is a chart of Kodi scaling settings here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid1966608
I might have to try more different sources, but on the videos I tried yesterday, Lanczos3 produced a quite visible grain in lots of areas -- but it was definitely sharper. So I gather that the solution is trying the pixel shader filters until I'm happy with one of them, and forget about dxva (and its problems Wink)
The grain is in the source. Bilinear will smooth artifacts, so it has that benefit. You might also be sensitive to ringing, and Lanczos can cause some of that. Not everyone's brain is trained to notice ringing.
(2018-10-27, 16:25)Warner306 Wrote: I wouldn't use Nvidia DXVA scaling anyways because the image will be softer. It uses Bilinear, as where Pixel Shaders can be set to Lanczos3, which is much better quality.

Ok, so after playing around some more I've settled on Optimised lancz3 for now. However this only works for videos of 1080p or lower. For 4k Videos the only "scaling options" are Auto and DXVA, so I can't turn DXVA scaling off for 4k videos. Even though there is no scaling taking place after all. So for 4k videos I get the resolution change black screen again -- any way to fix that for 4k videos?
The lack of Pixel Shaders at 4K must be to prevent dropped frames. You still have to do chroma upscaling at 4K. Another oddity about Kodi Windows because they forgot about users like you who own GTX 1060s.

I would playback 4K HDR files with Media Player Classic as described in this thread. You would actually get HDR passthrough that VideoPlayer doesn't yet support and a superior conversion to SDR if you wanted to use that.
After reading through all the 4k HDR guides here I've ordered a Vero 4K+ -- sounds like this should give on of the best 4k HDR playback experiences. But I've been using xbmc on windows since it first crossed over from the original xbox, and various versions of mpc for a long time, too, so I'm not giving up on the HTPC yet Wink The mpc/madVR guides just seem a tad bit complicated and fiddly. I like Kodi because it does everything internally -- external players add a lot of complexity and extra setup to make them work as seemlessly, and with the same remotes etc...

Are you saying a different graphics card would work better in my case than the GTX 1060? Swapping out the gfx is the easiest option if it would improve playback.
No, I'm saying Pixel Shader should be available at 4K. If it was removed for performance reasons, then the GTX 1060 wasn't considered because it is more than fast enough.

The Vero 4K would definitely simplify things if you are only running Kodi.
  • 60(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39