Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
@brazen1 

First of all, thanks for your efforts for the guide.

Recently I have purchased a 2018 model Samsung 4K Tv. I also have a HTPC with Intel i5 4670K cpu and Nvidia Gtx 1080 ti gpu.

I used to have a 1080p projector and use MPC-HC with Madvr for upscaling + SVP for 60 fps conversion. I was quite happy with the results. 

Now that I have a 4K display and want to watch mostly 4K content (MKV rip), I'm trying to figure out which one is the best player (HTPC, Nvidia Shield, other Android boxes etc.) for the best picture quality and smooth motion. Yes, I like very much the soap opera effect, so SVP and 60 fps conversion for smooth motion is quite important for me.

Hoping that Gtx 1080 ti would be powerful enough, I tried playing 4K content (MKV rip) with the current settings of MPC-HC + Madvr + SVP. The result was awful, it wasn't watchable. VLC, however, plays 4K content enough well. But of course I'm looking for the best results and I don't think VLC player (without making any settings) can be offering the best picture quality and smooth motion.

Here below are my questions :

1. Considering that budget is not an issue, which player would give the best results ? HTPC, Nvidia Shield, other Android boxes ? For HTPC, please advise the  best hardware. For Nvidia Shield, please advise the best configuration. For other Android devices, please recommend the best device as of today.

2. I'm quite new to HDR. I don't even know if it is something that should be coded in the 4K content or if it is something like SVP's 60 fps conversion that the 4K Tv can apply to any videos without HDR. Can you please give some information or tell me which guide I should read. Unfortunately due to heavy work load, I don't have dozens of hours of free time to search on the internet.

3. About your guide for Kodi, I read the first message of this thread and other updated guides. First of all, the pictures are missing, I don't know if they are missing only for me. Also there are tons of writing, but I can't find a simple guide that tells me what to install and how to configure it. 

4. I'm playing around with the picture settings of Samsung 4K Tv. With HTPC connected, if I choose the input type as "Home Cinema", I can enable HDR+ and the colours change immediately even on Windows 10 desktop. I don't know if this is something good or bad. Because I don't even know what HDR should like when working correctly.

My feeling is that for 4K content and HDR, HTPCs are not easy to configure. If I will not be losing much in terms of picture quality and smooth motion, I can use Nvidia Shield without issues. Actually I have already ordered one from Amazon just to test.

Your inputs will be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

tabari

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:20
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:29
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-22, 00:38
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-23, 17:15
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-24, 02:23
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-24, 17:22
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-25, 09:26
HELP! - by brazen1 - 2018-08-22, 18:50
RE: HELP! - by zxaura1 - 2018-08-24, 09:32
Problem with DXVA scaling videos - by obstler - 2018-10-27, 10:13
RE: HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players - by tabari - 2019-04-21, 11:11
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39