• 74(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
hi am using kodi18 on wins 10 graphics card is sapphire rx480 and is hooked up to a 65" samsung led uhd 4k tv am just looking the best settings in system display genearal settings and video player settings in kodi and amd do i use rgb or ycbcr cheers
A few days ago, Nvidia announced they are dropping 3D Vision from their drivers:
Quote: Nvidia is finally admitting defeat in 3D — it will end support for 3D Vision after the next driver update in April 2019.
Article:
https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/28744...obile-gpus

Nvidia, that is super short notice. Sad

I suppose this means we need to stop updating drivers after April 2019, but that isn't a long term solution as driver updates are often required for compatibility and other fixes.

I seem to remember that there was a Kodi 3DTV method using Intel graphics that could even be used on humble NUCs, but I cannot find it now. Is Intel GPU a viable alternative? What about AMD? I've tried to look myself, but I'm mostly finding information that I suspect is outdated.
Saw that in another forum the other day.  Might be able to edit unsupported driver packages with an older NV3DVision portion like I've been doing with the HDaudio drivers.  Tbh, no newer drivers work any good for what I do anyway and the older ones that work fine have survived updates.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Has anybody experienced MPC-BE not launching from Kodi lately? I am running Leia latest nightly, as well as the latest version of MPC-BE under Windows 10 1901. If I run MPC-BE from the desktop it runs fine.

I also have DVDFab 3 defined as an external player and it plays from Kodi.

All I could see in the log is that the launch of MPC-BE fails with error 2, which I have not found what it is.

Tomorrow I will try MPC-HC and see if the same thing happens.

If any of you has any info that could help, I will be most grateful.

Regards,

Bart
(2019-03-25, 03:19)bsoriano Wrote: Has anybody experienced MPC-BE not launching from Kodi lately? I am running Leia latest nightly, as well as the latest version of MPC-BE under Windows 10 1901. If I run MPC-BE from the desktop it runs fine.

All I could see in the log is that the launch of MPC-BE fails with error 2, which I have not found what it is.

Regards,

Bart

@bsoriano 

It's working perfectly for me.
Windows 10 Pro 1809
KodiSetup-20190325-815adedf-master-x64
MPC-BE.1.5.3.4455.x64

If you want me to run some specific test, don't hesitate in asking...
Hello,
i have a little issue. I only use external player MPC-BE for playing 3D, everthing else with Kodi. Only my Beamer is able to play 3D. Now when i want to play a 3D movie on 2D Samsung TV in an other room MPC-BE starts but crash immediately. When i mount the movie manual and not over Kodi, MPC-BE plays the 3D movie as 2D as it should. I use latest MPC-BE 1.5.3 b4488 with Madvr.
Has anybody an idea to solve this?
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600
Are you using 2 different PC's?  Maybe there is a difference?  Try temporarily swapping to test.  Is fullscreen window enabled in Kodi?  Is the file local when launched from Kodi when the player crashes and also local when manually played without Kodi?  This would eliminate a possible network or permission problem.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2019-04-07, 16:44)brazen1 Wrote: Are you using 2 different PC's?  Maybe there is a difference?  Try temporarily swapping to test.  Is fullscreen window enabled in Kodi?  Is the file local when launched from Kodi when the player crashes and also local when manually played without Kodi?  This would eliminate a possible network or permission problem.
Sorry for confusion. I use same MPCHDR3D.bat file for non 3D TV in working room with simliar HTPC like i use in the living room. Delete entrys with nvstlink.exe and it works now.
HTPC: Windows 10 Pro 22H2, Zalman HD135, Intel i3-7100, GTX 1070, UHD ASUS BW-16D1HT
NAS: Xpenology 7.2 Update 1, Intel i5-6600
Hello
building a new HTPC
I was wondering what are the working nvidia HD audio drivers
the ones from 388.58 (mai 2017) 390.85 (april 2018) or the latest one 419.67 (march 2019)

Thank you
I've been using 388.59 audio drivers with 416.81 video drivers.  Newer audio drivers do not work for me and I tested all of them up until about 2 or 3 driver releases ago and gave up on them ever being fixed.  Same with video drivers.  The newest cards cannot use these drivers afaik so it depends on what you plan on using.  It also depends on what your demands are.  Some people claim newer audio and video drivers work perfectly for them but I doubt they are demanding everything I demand so ymmv.

(2019-04-08, 16:42)brazen1 Wrote: I've been using 388.59 audio drivers with 416.81 video drivers.  Newer audio drivers do not work for me and I tested all of them up until about 2 or 3 driver releases ago and gave up on them ever being fixed.  Same with video drivers.  The newest cards cannot use these drivers afaik so it depends on what you plan on using.  It also depends on what your demands are.  Some people claim newer audio and video drivers work perfectly for them but I doubt they are demanding everything I demand so ymmv.

Hello Brazen1
Highend PC with RTX card  going to Denon receiver To Oled hdr screen So the whole chain must handle it .. . I suppose I will test and see then
Right now I am using 388.59 on a gtx card and all is working ..
Thx for your tips and advices in your posts.
(2019-03-25, 03:19)bsoriano Wrote: Has anybody experienced MPC-BE not launching from Kodi lately? I am running Leia latest nightly, as well as the latest version of MPC-BE under Windows 10 1901. If I run MPC-BE from the desktop it runs fine.

Regards,

Bart
Hi Bart.

I'm curious.  Did you get this straightened out?  I haven't had any problems and I've been using KODI v.19 with W10 v.1809.  You peaked my interest because you're on v.1901 and it hasn't rolled out to me yet and I don't want to manually install early.  I doubt the Windows upgrade would affect this but could you follow up any new info when you get a chance.  TIA.

(2019-04-19, 21:50)brazen1 Wrote:

Regards,

Bart
Hi Bart.

I'm curious.  Did you get this straightened out?  I haven't had any problems and I've been using KODI v.19 with W10 v.1809.  You peaked my interest because you're on v.1901 and it hasn't rolled out to me yet and I don't want to manually install early.  I doubt the Windows upgrade would affect this but could you follow up any new info when you get a chance.  TIA.

@brazen1, I had to reset Windows on my HTPC and I have not tried again. I am also currently running KODI v19. I will try later on today and let you know if it works.

Regards,

Bart
@brazen1 

First of all, thanks for your efforts for the guide.

Recently I have purchased a 2018 model Samsung 4K Tv. I also have a HTPC with Intel i5 4670K cpu and Nvidia Gtx 1080 ti gpu.

I used to have a 1080p projector and use MPC-HC with Madvr for upscaling + SVP for 60 fps conversion. I was quite happy with the results. 

Now that I have a 4K display and want to watch mostly 4K content (MKV rip), I'm trying to figure out which one is the best player (HTPC, Nvidia Shield, other Android boxes etc.) for the best picture quality and smooth motion. Yes, I like very much the soap opera effect, so SVP and 60 fps conversion for smooth motion is quite important for me.

Hoping that Gtx 1080 ti would be powerful enough, I tried playing 4K content (MKV rip) with the current settings of MPC-HC + Madvr + SVP. The result was awful, it wasn't watchable. VLC, however, plays 4K content enough well. But of course I'm looking for the best results and I don't think VLC player (without making any settings) can be offering the best picture quality and smooth motion.

Here below are my questions :

1. Considering that budget is not an issue, which player would give the best results ? HTPC, Nvidia Shield, other Android boxes ? For HTPC, please advise the  best hardware. For Nvidia Shield, please advise the best configuration. For other Android devices, please recommend the best device as of today.

2. I'm quite new to HDR. I don't even know if it is something that should be coded in the 4K content or if it is something like SVP's 60 fps conversion that the 4K Tv can apply to any videos without HDR. Can you please give some information or tell me which guide I should read. Unfortunately due to heavy work load, I don't have dozens of hours of free time to search on the internet.

3. About your guide for Kodi, I read the first message of this thread and other updated guides. First of all, the pictures are missing, I don't know if they are missing only for me. Also there are tons of writing, but I can't find a simple guide that tells me what to install and how to configure it. 

4. I'm playing around with the picture settings of Samsung 4K Tv. With HTPC connected, if I choose the input type as "Home Cinema", I can enable HDR+ and the colours change immediately even on Windows 10 desktop. I don't know if this is something good or bad. Because I don't even know what HDR should like when working correctly.

My feeling is that for 4K content and HDR, HTPCs are not easy to configure. If I will not be losing much in terms of picture quality and smooth motion, I can use Nvidia Shield without issues. Actually I have already ordered one from Amazon just to test.

Your inputs will be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

tabari
Coming from a 1080p setup to a 2160p is going to require some additional settings and modifications.

(1) Imo, best results are going to come from an HTPC device with a decent graphics processing unit for a number of reasons in your situation.  While shelf devices dominate streaming and ease of use, they don't offer high end custom tailoring of audio/video processing, future proofing upgrades/repairs, and often limit GPU's due to heat issues inherent of small enclosures.  A Shield for example, will not produce the same 1080p upscale to 2160p quality a good GPU in an HTPC will.

(2) HDR is standard for all UHD titles now.  It isn't something you add but it is something you need to process and requires the hardware and/or software to do so either by passing through its metadata (which in turn signals software/hardware how to automatically adjust to accept the HDR) or to convert the HDR to SDR which is more primitive and produces lesser results since software/hardware do not react to metadata because it has not been passed through, rather converted.  Many do not have HDR capabilities so prefer the latter especially using HDR sources.  This HDR to SDR conversion can then be manipulated using madVR tone mapping to create similar results.  This is new and under development.  Furthermore, some with HDR hardware capabilities prefer madVR do the HDR to SDR tone mapping because it does a better job for them considering their opinion which probably stems from poor or mediocre hardware to begin with.  The 'Envy' (madVR hardware) will release at some point.  This is another option that can take the place of madVR software if one chooses.  It will eliminate the need for a device to run the software - the HTPC itself provided you can justify the cost.  Considering these choices, it's my opinion you passthrough your HDR metadata as designed and use madVR with your 1080 ti to auto trigger because your equipment is not substandard.

(2b) I see no reason to add extra SVP processing to alter the native frame rate up to 60 anymore assuming your Samsung is at least 120Hz native.  This would only be applicable for panels or PJ's that were not 120Hz or higher capable.  For 60Hz limited PJ's and panels, playing 23.976 aka 24 (the frame rate movies are filmed and processed at) 60 is not perfectly divisible by 24 and 3:2 pulldown is used to compensate for the improper cadence which introduces judder.  For instance, my panel is 120Hz native which is perfectly divisible by 24 and even offers 240Hz interpolated.  I've no need to use software for what the panel already does and does better.  Neither should you.  The Soap Opera Effect is absolutely phenomenal and welcomed both for the motion and clarity it unbridles.   

(2c) Which guide to use is your decision.  Most produce similar conclusions when followed and applied properly.  My guide appeals to those who wish to use external player(s) of their choice as well as the official KODI internal player in order to cover the entire gamut of every format offered except paid subscription streaming sources which could be done but I've never had any interest.  The more popular choice is the unofficial forked version of DSPlayer which is now stagnant using the KODI 17.6 build and appears will never be updated again.  I am presently using KODI v.19 official nightlies.  Whether using an older stagnant build vs state-of-the-art may or may not matter depending on the user.  Imo, these are the two most relevant and popular KODI front ends.  There are other popular front ends but they do not meet the expectations and demands KODI provides for my use.  Obviously, you are in the forum for my guide which begins on page one where the basics are covered.  Once you gain basic understanding, you can select links directing further into the guide for your specific setup most likely here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2616287.  @Warner306 is another user in these KODI forums.  He also provides excellent detailed guides but be prepared for a steep learning curve because he leaves no stone unturned.  He does not require the same demands I use on a daily basis so his preferences and emphasis on setups will be different and most likely biased.  That said, his approach should be considered when contemplating your own.     

(3) I've provided many screenshots.  I can see all of them using IE.  I can also click these screenshots which take me directly to imgur.com where I've uploaded all of them.  Perhaps you've given the graphics insufficient time to load?  That said, they load instantly for me.  Yes, there is a lot of writing.  There is a lot going on.  Not only what pertains to you and your unique preferences, but those of others also.  I too leave no stone unturned so that everyone may benefit.  To enjoy your experience as we do, some effort is required.  I've simplified that effort and provided as much as possible here so that you don't have to.  You may overlook some of the 'shortcuts' because you didn't bother to read the first post and the links directing you to the next shortcut.  For instance, I've provided the settings.bin for madVR which requires no effort setting up madVR other than downloading and applying it.  The other files are created as well.  Just copy and paste.  Various player settings are provided by looking at the screenshots.  How to setup your Harmony remote so that KODI and all external players are harmonious with screenshots.  Etc., etc.  As far as I'm concerned, this is exactly the simple guide that shows what to install and how to configure that you are unable to locate in order to aid you in your quest.  I'm open to how to simplify my guide but keep in mind I wrote it before 4k UHD HDR and Windows 10 was even thought of and I try to remain state-of-the-art as new things arrive without abandoning old guides and starting new ones.  It's kind of a history of my own journey and I don't prefer to erase the past replacing it with only current affairs especially knowing some users are still in need of past techniques having not upgraded yet.  I understand keeping that older diversity around complicates matters but again, what may be sufficient for one user may not be for another.

(4) I do not know all the specific settings for your Samsung.  This would be step one before anything else whether using an HTPC or another device.  It doesn't matter.  Then after calibration you can refine it if need be.  You can have a pro do it for you or experiment yourself.  Some guidance can most likely be found on the internet by other owners but what they find the best settings may not necessarily equate to anything close to reality as was my experience.  Copying the settings of others, pros and enthusiasts alike, produced horrible results in my case.  I didn't want to call in a pro or take the advice of others after many, many bad results and instead learned the ins and outs on my own.  My advice, make one change at a time and test it thoroughly before moving on to another.  Understand how one setting affects another.  Use paused videos or pictures during your evaluations and make sure those sources are perfect.  Start with reading your manual and learn which setting turns HDR on for the port(s) you are going to use.  This is the most important setting to activate for UHD HDR.  Avoid modes that predetermine settings for you that often grey out adjustments leading to horrible presentations.  Use 4:4:4 aka FULL aka NORMAL RGB preferred.  Use NATIVE color settings and avoid custom color balances and white points.  Understand SDR calibration carries over to HDR but HDR being its own mode allows different calibration from SDR retained in your panels memory as the two auto switch.  Avoid extra calibrations until the basics are applied.  Start with the calibration of brightness, contrast, and sharpness before any of those others.  I turn the backlight all the way up because I like a nice bright picture and don't watch it only in a cave under the darkest of conditions although I do watch at night in pretty dark conditions a lot and still find it most appealing as do guests.  The guide here provides links to a calibration disc you can download and links to how to use it.  After calibrating your panel and your nVidia settings (also provided in this guide) run the disc again to double check your work.  You will know when your HDR is proper even without ever seeing it before but I would suggest viewing at a store so you have an idea.  If what you see leaves any doubt if it is indeed properly showing HDR, then it isn't.  You will be wowed immediately when it is.  It looks much richer than the best 1080p SDR you ever saw.

I understand your time constraints and limited enthusiasm.  I see you just ordered a Shield.  The Shield is not going to calibrate for you and it too requires some setup.  Your end results will not be on par with an HTPC setup using your GPU.  It will be noticeable under various conditions such as 1080p upscaled to 2160p.  2160p in itself cannot be improved on a whole bunch but how it's processed before arriving at your panel can help.  How much that improvement is noticeable depends on many factors mainly seating distance and screen size.  The Shield and other similar devices are very popular but remember, they appeal to the streaming community as job one.  Quality, ownership, and diversity are secondary.  Those are job one for HTPC enthusiasts.  So you can 'settle' on good enough or do it once correctly and have the best.  I believe you did ask for... the best.  Good luck in your setup.  In the time it took me to write this little saga, I could have done most of it for you via teamviewer.  If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.  Myself or another should be able to assist you.

• 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39