Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2019-09-17, 17:07)brazen1 Wrote: What would I gain from that except giving up 2 of the largest drives for parity that could otherwise be used for storage making it not very cost effective?  I already have protection of my media files.  The originals within the HTPC drives and exact duplicates on backup drives.  If any of the HTPC drives was to fail, I replace the failed drive and copy lost files over from backup.  If any of the backup drives was to fail, I replace the drive and copy lost files over from the HTPC.  Honestly, what is the advantage of a raid configuration like unraid going to do except automatically backup and/or rebuild?  I'm not too lazy to copy and paste myself.
1) Time. I believe UNRAID server would be faster recovering from already mentioned scenario of failed hard drive. Yes, it can be a bit of a PITA to set up from ground 0 as there's a bit to learn but worth it overall over the course of say 3-4 years

2) Accessing all data outside of the HTPC. I use my Apple TV to access some of the data from UNRAID server - though I do save 4K and 3D for my hardcore HTPC. I use other desktops, latops etc to access data on the UNRAID server from documents (more later) and, say, if I've got a few minutes and know I have some FRINGE Extras to watch for 4 minutes just as an example.

3) Emby as a cataloguer integrates well. And if you are standing at Best Buy looking at a $15 4K copy of LOGAN and don't remember if you bought it or not, well, check your iPhone to see if Logan is in your collection through the Emby app, which can query your Unraid emby software 'server' from cell phone

4) the nerdiness of it. Yet something else to play with. The holy grail would be an Unraid server with a virtual HTPC inside it that can do all the fancy things an HTPC can do (defined by me for my needs as 3D, 4K, and Aeon MADNOX skin support) without the hardware. I'm not smart enough to pull this off, but every so often I tinker for a couple hours. But separate from that, I use my unraid server to store tax forms and all important documents such as mortgage papers and such because it's easier and the shared drive is auto-backed up.

5) iTunes Library - I put all my music and photos on it as my iTunes library. Well, that's my dream. It's not my core iTunes library but more or less a backup of it that I can use various apps to play music off from my receiver(s) on different floors than my Unraid server.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:20
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:29
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-22, 00:38
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-23, 17:15
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-24, 02:23
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-24, 17:22
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-25, 09:26
HELP! - by brazen1 - 2018-08-22, 18:50
RE: HELP! - by zxaura1 - 2018-08-24, 09:32
Problem with DXVA scaling videos - by obstler - 2018-10-27, 10:13
RE: HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players - by twinpeaks - 2019-09-19, 02:42
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39