• 79(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
Hi @brazen1 

I have been using your instructions in this thread to playback 4K HDR using MPCS-BE+MadVR as external players for some time now. 

I noticed that there are 2 concurrent projects for Kodi players which now offer 4K HDR playback within Kodi. 
HDR Edition by fandangos: https://github.com/fandangos/Kodi-HDR-Edition/releases
Window API by jogal: https://github.com/thexai/xbmc/releases

I have an HTPC with Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti, and a JVC NX5 Projector (with Auto Tone Mapping for HDR). 

I don't really understand the difference between the 2 editions of Kodi listed above, but I was looking for your advice. Is there one or the other that you recommend? 

Thanks!
One of those builds uses the Windows API for HDR and the other uses private API's.  I prefer private API's.  That said, I have zero interest in either of those builds.  I prefer to only use official builds of Kodi mainly because the survival rates of unofficial builds are privately maintained and always fall to the wayside sooner or later.  The official builds are always maintained and improved.  Personally, I only use Kodi as a front end.  Occasionally I use the internal videoplayer but mostly external players.  Those builds are great for users that don't care about madVr, LAV, MPC-BE/HC, PowerDVD, DVDFab Player, etc.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2020-05-29, 02:02)brazen1 Wrote: One of those builds uses the Windows API for HDR and the other uses private API's.  I prefer private API's.  That said, I have zero interest in either of those builds.  I prefer to only use official builds of Kodi mainly because the survival rates of unofficial builds are privately maintained and always fall to the wayside sooner or later.  The official builds are always maintained and improved.  Personally, I only use Kodi as a front end.  Occasionally I use the internal videoplayer but mostly external players.  Those builds are great for users that don't care about madVr, LAV, MPC-BE/HC, PowerDVD, DVDFab Player, etc.
Agreed.

Just my personal experience - I ended up deploying the "HDR Edition" using the private APIs, to use the nVidia API for my RTX 2080 TI card, and after 5 days of usage, I can honestly say i'm a very, very happy camper! The software is continuously merged with master branch which keeps it updated with latest Kodi, and the developers have done a fantastic job! I was able to disassociate all external players (DVDFab, MadVR/MPC, PowerDVD), and am able to use Kodi internal player for everything from 4K HDR to Blu-ray ISO with menus. 

I compared 4K HDR performance against MadVR/MPC and could not notice a single ounce of difference in picture, color or HDR quality. Of course, I'm not a videophile like some others.

Installation and setup was "one-click"; no fiddling with any settings. Refresh Rate changes per content, HDR switches on & off per content, everything works out of the box. 

At this time I'll discontinue the use of external players and continue using the Kodi HDR Edition. If in the future I find development lagging, or disconnecting from official Kodi releases, I may consider coming back to official builds, but for now, this works for me. 

[Links & References Removed]

Thanks!
hi @brazen1 
can you re up .bin file from post number 205?
And BTW
what´s the lastest guide to play 3d iso with PDVD? Im´confuse about this..

Thanx in advance
(2020-06-04, 16:45)luci5r Wrote:
(2020-05-29, 02:02)brazen1 Wrote: One of those builds uses the Windows API for HDR and the other uses private API's.  I prefer private API's.  That said, I have zero interest in either of those builds.  I prefer to only use official builds of Kodi mainly because the survival rates of unofficial builds are privately maintained and always fall to the wayside sooner or later.  The official builds are always maintained and improved.  Personally, I only use Kodi as a front end.  Occasionally I use the internal videoplayer but mostly external players.  Those builds are great for users that don't care about madVr, LAV, MPC-BE/HC, PowerDVD, DVDFab Player, etc.
Agreed.

Just my personal experience - I ended up deploying the "HDR Edition" using the private APIs, to use the nVidia API for my RTX 2080 TI card, and after 5 days of usage, I can honestly say i'm a very, very happy camper! The software is continuously merged with master branch which keeps it updated with latest Kodi, and the developers have done a fantastic job! I was able to disassociate all external players (DVDFab, MadVR/MPC, PowerDVD), and am able to use Kodi internal player for everything from 4K HDR to Blu-ray ISO with menus. 

I compared 4K HDR performance against MadVR/MPC and could not notice a single ounce of difference in picture, color or HDR quality. Of course, I'm not a videophile like some others.

Installation and setup was "one-click"; no fiddling with any settings. Refresh Rate changes per content, HDR switches on & off per content, everything works out of the box. 

At this time I'll discontinue the use of external players and continue using the Kodi HDR Edition. If in the future I find development lagging, or disconnecting from official Kodi releases, I may consider coming back to official builds, but for now, this works for me. 

Anyone else interested in the same can give it a shot - Download: https://www.xbmcbrasil.net/thread-4527.html (Kodi thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345566)

Thanks!
That's fine you prefer using one of the hundreds of unofficial forked builds of Kodi out there.  It's fine you have personally analyzed that it looks the same as madVr processed sources and that it handles the same features external players offer and how easy it is to setup with "one click".  Many disagree though including me.  I don't think it's fine to promote your new found discovery here though.  I'm a pretty hard line user of the official builds of Kodi only so cheerleading here is rather inappropriate and should remain confined to wherever users of it congregate.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2020-06-16, 05:18)defleppard Wrote: hi @brazen1 
can you re up .bin file from post number 205?
And BTW
what´s the lastest guide to play 3d iso with PDVD? Im´confuse about this..

Thanx in advance
No, I can't re-up a .bin for you.  I don't use that one any longer nor do have the old one.  There is no "latest guide to play 3D iso's with PDVD".  It's the same as it's always been and there is no reason it won't continue to work as intended.  Fwiw, personally, I don't use 3D anymore.  When I upgraded my display to an 82" Q90R, there was no 3D offered anymore as I'm sure you know.  Also, nVidia dropped 3D driver support which further sealed it's fate for me.  3D title production has also slowed to a crawl.  This doesn't mean I don't care for 3D.  It means it isn't possible for me anymore unless I wanted to use PJ.  PJ's are not for me.  While they provide a great big picture, they will never come close to the quality a large panel produces no matter how hard you try.

(2020-06-25, 18:56)brazen1 Wrote:
(2020-06-04, 16:45)luci5r Wrote:
Agreed.

Anyone else interested in the same can give it a shot - Download: https://www.xbmcbrasil.net/thread-4527.html (Kodi thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345566)

Thanks!
That's fine you prefer using one of the hundreds of unofficial forked builds of Kodi out there.  It's fine you have personally analyzed that it looks the same as madVr processed sources and that it handles the same features external players offer and how easy it is to setup with "one click".  Many disagree though including me.  I don't think it's fine to promote your new found discovery here though.  I'm a pretty hard line user of the official builds of Kodi only so cheerleading here is rather inappropriate and should remain confined to wherever users of it congregate.

Hi @brazen1 

Exactly what do you mean by "here"? If you're referring to the "Kodi Forum", I apologize but I believe you are severely mistaken. There is an official thread on this particular fork, offered by official members of this forum who are no less in stature as yourself, when it comes to membership of this forum. You can find the official thread, downloadable link for this fork, and the open source code repository right here on Kodi Forums: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345566

Official members, such as @Wanilton & @fandangos have put in a tremendous effort to provide us Kodi users with a version which suites some of us better for our needs than the official Kodi version. 

You have every right to disagree, or disapprove of the fork; and choose whichever release you wish to deploy on your machine, furthermore, you have every right to suggest, advice and cheerlead any release which you consider more appropriate for your needs to others. However, I'm lacking the understanding behind criticizing my promotion of my "new found discovery"; forgive me, isn't that the whole point of having an open source community such as this? And aren't us, the users, the ones who keep this Kodi Forums Community as well as the software, and the remarkable people who put in such great efforts taking time out of their busy schedules alive?

Furthermore, The official Release Posts for these forks you deem inappropriate to cheerlead, have a combined total of over 290,000 Views and approx. 2,500 Replies in their threads right "here" on the official Kodi Forums. This can be verified right "here" in Kodi Community: https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59

Again, I'm missing the justification behind your criticism of my sharing the knowledge with other members of this forums, which pertains directly and comprehensively to the particular Software and the community for which this particular Forums have been established. 

If, however, by "here", you're referring to this "particular thread", then yes, I apologize - you are the sole owner of this particular thread and do have every right to determine and adjudicate the content therein, what is permissible in your thread, and what is prohibited; while I may disagree with your choice of words, considering I have been a long time supporter of your work and have done just a little bit to contribute to this thread over the couple years, you could have politely asked me not to refer to links to other forks etc in your thread, to which I would duly comply; however, I must concede that if you did refer to this "particular thread" when you stated "here", then please accept my apologies, I did not realize and did not have knowledge of your opposition to the same. I will refrain from posting about other forks in your thread. 

Either way, I have removed the reference & links from my original post in respect with your sentiments. 

Thanks!
(2020-06-25, 19:36)luci5r Wrote:
(2020-06-25, 18:56)brazen1 Wrote:
(2020-06-04, 16:45)luci5r Wrote: Agreed.

Thanks!

Hi @brazen1 

Exactly what do you mean by "here"? If you're referring to the "Kodi Forum", I apologize but I believe you are severely mistaken. There is an official thread on this particular fork, offered by official members of this forum who are no less in stature as yourself, when it comes to membership of this forum. You can find the official thread, downloadable link for this fork, and the open source code repository right here on Kodi Forums: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345566

Official members, such as @Wanilton & @fandangos have put in a tremendous effort to provide us Kodi users with a version which suites some of us better for our needs than the official Kodi version. 

You have every right to disagree, or disapprove of the fork; and choose whichever release you wish to deploy on your machine, furthermore, you have every right to suggest, advice and cheerlead any release which you consider more appropriate for your needs to others. However, I'm lacking the understanding behind criticizing my promotion of my "new found discovery"; forgive me, isn't that the whole point of having an open source community such as this? And aren't us, the users, the ones who keep this Kodi Forums Community as well as the software, and the remarkable people who put in such great efforts taking time out of their busy schedules alive?

Furthermore, The official Release Posts for these forks you deem inappropriate to cheerlead, have a combined total of over 290,000 Views and approx. 2,500 Replies in their threads right "here" on the official Kodi Forums. This can be verified right "here" in Kodi Community: https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59

Again, I'm missing the justification behind your criticism of my sharing the knowledge with other members of this forums, which pertains directly and comprehensively to the particular Software and the community for which this particular Forums have been established. 

If, however, by "here", you're referring to this "particular thread", then yes, I apologize - you are the sole owner of this particular thread and do have every right to determine and adjudicate the content therein, what is permissible in your thread, and what is prohibited; while I may disagree with your choice of words, considering I have been a long time supporter of your work and have done just a little bit to contribute to this thread over the couple years, you could have politely asked me not to refer to links to other forks etc in your thread, to which I would duly comply; however, I must concede that if you did refer to this "particular thread" when you stated "here", then please accept my apologies, I did not realize and did not have knowledge of your opposition to the same. I will refrain from posting about other forks in your thread. 

Either way, I have removed the reference & links from my original post in respect with your sentiments. 

Thanks!
I haven't criticized you?  I don't owe you the justification you request?  No one has suggested that a thread for the unofficial build of Kodi you prefer does not exist?  There are many threads for unofficial releases including your references.  You've made certain to inform myself and anyone else that might still be reading this thread that yet another unofficial build of Kodi exists more than once, provided links to it numerous times, exclaimed what a very, very, happy camper you are, not only for you personally but for 100's of thousands of other followers, provided authors names and links involved in the project, praised their efforts and the sacrifices they make, detailed its wonderfulness while explaining your distaste for using the methods I provide here because you are familiar with them, state that if you've perked anyone's interest to migrate away from the methods I share here to hop on your bandwagon by providing directions... and then you promptly reply with a legal tone when I ask that you confine your enthusiasm elsewhere since here is not a fitting billboard for you.

Look, I simply ask for you to confine your excitement in a more appropriate thread instead of this one.  Perhaps the one you keep linking and going on about?  Spamming here is rude and distasteful.  I created this thread to share my personal journey as a Kodi user and provided my methods in case they interest others.  I don't mind if you share your journey too if it has the slightest relevance to my own.  What you've presented so far... doesn't.  Please show a little respect, not for me, but for this thread.

(2020-06-25, 23:35)brazen1 Wrote:
(2020-06-25, 19:36)luci5r Wrote:
(2020-06-25, 18:56)brazen1 Wrote: That's fine you prefer using one of the hundreds of unofficial forked builds of Kodi out there.  It's fine you have personally analyzed that it looks the same as madVr processed sources and that it handles the same features external players offer and how easy it is to setup with "one click".  Many disagree though including me.  I don't think it's fine to promote your new found discovery here though.  I'm a pretty hard line user of the official builds of Kodi only so cheerleading here is rather inappropriate and should remain confined to wherever users of it congregate.

Hi @brazen1 

Thanks!
I haven't criticized you?  I don't owe you the justification you request?  No one has suggested that a thread for the unofficial build of Kodi you prefer does not exist?  There are many threads for unofficial releases including your references.  You've made certain to inform myself and anyone else that might still be reading this thread that yet another unofficial build of Kodi exists more than once, provided links to it numerous times, exclaimed what a very, very, happy camper you are, not only for you personally but for 100's of thousands of other followers, provided authors names and links involved in the project, praised their efforts and the sacrifices they make, detailed its wonderfulness while explaining your distaste for using the methods I provide here because you are familiar with them, state that if you've perked anyone's interest to migrate away from the methods I share here to hop on your bandwagon by providing directions... and then you promptly reply with a legal tone when I ask that you confine your enthusiasm elsewhere since here is not a fitting billboard for you.

Look, I simply ask for you to confine your excitement in a more appropriate thread instead of this one.  Perhaps the one you keep linking and going on about?  Spamming here is rude and distasteful.  I created this thread to share my personal journey as a Kodi user and provided my methods in case they interest others.  I don't mind if you share your journey too if it has the slightest relevance to my own.  What you've presented so far... doesn't.  Please show a little respect, not for me, but for this thread.

I think you misunderstand the context, my friend, but you got it!
As part of my home theater journey, I have added a 4D Theater Wind Effect.  This is an affordable recently introduced cutting edge tech for home theaters.  It compliments my bass shakers as far as the 'touch' sensory enhancement goes.  Actually, imo, it surpasses the sense of vibration from bass shakers.  Many new features are in the works including microphone adaption for any source and compatibility for plex devices as well as RPI.  Beta releases are quick and plentiful.  I have just concluded testing complete automation for iso files and am happy to report it will be released in the next beta12.  This means Official Kodi + with or without External player(s) + 4D Theater Wind Effect is hands free playback and keeps my entire system to remain automated with one button press.  A Web User Interface is provided for easy management should you desire to use it.  I encourage Kodi users to have a peek into the future...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/28-tweaks...oject.html

(2020-06-25, 23:45)luci5r Wrote:
(2020-06-25, 23:35)brazen1 Wrote:
(2020-06-25, 19:36)luci5r Wrote: Hi @brazen1 

Thanks!

I think you misunderstand the context, my friend, but you got it!
Brilliant thanks for the headsup, one question (for now lol) can all the equipment needed be bought in the UK? cheers
9.1 Cinema Room htpc with Kodi Matrix & emby server~Epson EH-TW9300~Homemade 8ft pj screen~AVR~Yamaha RX-A3070~Speakers~Monitor Audio RX6 Fronts & RX Centre~RXFX Surrounds~250's Rears~180's Front Presence~BK XXLS400 Sub~8033C AntiMode~HarmonyOne

Dear brazen1

I always used your perfect guide for me and my friend’s htpc Also. I never had any problems until now:
when i play a Hdr film, my Tv starts hdr mode but the player doesn’t work with correct colors, as When the tv haven’t HDR.
The player works well only with HDR switch on in windows!!
I updated win in 2004, so i tried to replace with 1903 but nothing changed
Another info, i haven’t got internet connection but i suppose it’s not crucial.

Pls, have you any ideas to help me?
Tks a lot
I haven't been offered the Windows 2004 upgrade yet so I am still using v.1909.  I don't know if that upgrade or rolling back has affected anything but I doubt it.  Of all the players I'm using, only DVDFab 6 uses Windows HDR.  It switches on and off automatically.  Every other player uses nVidia API.  I haven't found any reason to upgrade my GTX 960 4GB so unlike newer video cards that require newer drivers, I can still use older drivers - 445.87 from April 2020.  From what I've read, newer cards with newer drivers can have problems switching HDR at times.  Did Windows upgrade your drivers when you upgraded to 2004 and keep those drivers even though you rolled back to 1903?  Are you using official stable Kodi 18.7 or older with external players and if so, which one(s)?  There should be no reason to ever activate Windows HDR except when it happens automatically using FAB 6.  Internet connection has no bearing except retrieving builds and drivers if you haven't saved previous downloads.  I can tell you although I'm no longer using 3D, nothing has changed in this guide and all is working perfectly for me.

(2020-07-27, 16:09)brazen1 Wrote: I haven't been offered the Windows 2004 upgrade yet so I am still using v.1909.  I don't know if that upgrade or rolling back has affected anything but I doubt it.  Of all the players I'm using, only DVDFab 6 uses Windows HDR.  It switches on and off automatically.  Every other player uses nVidia API.  I haven't found any reason to upgrade my GTX 960 4GB so unlike newer video cards that require newer drivers, I can still use older drivers - 445.87 from April 2020.  From what I've read, newer cards with newer drivers can have problems switching HDR at times.  Did Windows upgrade your drivers when you upgraded to 2004 and keep those drivers even though you rolled back to 1903?  Are you using official stable Kodi 18.7 or older with external players and if so, which one(s)?  There should be no reason to ever activate Windows HDR except when it happens automatically using FAB 6.  Internet connection has no bearing except retrieving builds and drivers if you haven't saved previous downloads.  I can tell you although I'm no longer using 3D, nothing has changed in this guide and all is working perfectly for me.
Tks for your quick reply!
I always upgrade the Nvidia drivers but i’ve never had any problem after that.
Anyway i use the MPC-BE for external player with your wonderful LavFilter settings.
I don’t know if the kodi’s version is decisive because i used MPC without open Kodi.... but my kodi is 18.4
The situation is really strange: in a day all is ok and the day after it doesn’t work!! Mistero!!!
(2020-07-27, 00:48)Alcarimon Wrote: Dear brazen1

I always used your perfect guide for me and my friend’s htpc Also. I never had any problems until now:
when i play a Hdr film, my Tv starts hdr mode but the player doesn’t work with correct colors, as When the tv haven’t HDR.
The player works well only with HDR switch on in windows!!
I updated win in 2004, so i tried to replace with 1903 but nothing changed
Another info, i haven’t got internet connection but i suppose it’s not crucial.

Pls, have you any ideas to help me?
Tks a lot

Hi!

Same as Alcarimon, I have been using this amazing guide for years now, and never had an issue until today: 

I made a clean installation of Win 10 (Version 2004), and now HDR content only works if I turn on the Windows HDR option. If I turn that option off (as I used to do) and play a movie, the colors look washed out, but my TV actually change to HDR, is like madVR is sending the meta data but for some reason colors are not right.

I am using a NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti with the latest drivers (same as I was using before installing the 2004 upgrade).

Any heads up on how to solve the issue?

Thanks and regards,
  • 79(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39