Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
(2021-01-10, 02:59)brazen1 Wrote: I've been using Kodi 19 for a while now exclusively for UHD playback and I don't notice any difference because I'm passing through same as I did with madVR/MPC.  I passthrough because UHD does not need to be processed on a good panel.  There's nothing to improve.  PJ's would still require a bunch of processing though so external players with madVR is probably still good practice. 

I installed JAVA to take advantage of full menu playback.  Other functions are quicker and easier to access also.  Compared to other players that handle full 1:1 rips (iso) including menus, Kodi stands out.  For instance, DVDFab Media Players handle menus and all except they don't auto control frame rate matching.  They only reflect what the GPU is set at.  So if your desktop is properly set to 60Hz, playback of 23.976 is going to 3:2 pulldown instead of matching the rate at 24p. You can workaround this by setting the GPU manually to 24Hz and changing it back again when finished but who wants to do that essentially ruining a perfectly automated system. 

Evidently JRiver handles full menus also but having never used it I can't really comment on the pros and cons.  I have seen the interface.  It's nothing like Kodi and once you've been spoiled... 

I do have one complaint about using Kodi VideoPlayer for UHD.  Some titles work perfectly, some require patience and even a bit of persuasion, and others don't work at all.  I've noticed if I watch a portion of a title and resume it later, I'm offered to resume playback or start from the beginning.  Unfortunately, Kodi locks up playback and no amount of clicking does anything except 'stop' which ejects the iso mount.  Subsequent tries are futile.  So I just navigate to my 'play using' menu and call up another player.  It's still good to have choices.  Did I mention Kodi doesn't cost a nickle and is under constant development?

Thanks - I didn't think I was missing anything. When using Menus, I have no playback functions at all with the player. I can't even pause. That's a serious disadvantage. For movies, I usually go straight in with 'main title playback.' Mostly I have some TV shows ripped as ISO instead of .mkv because of a lot of special features .... for instance getting the log lady intros that were done for Showtime for Twin Peaks -the .iso rip blends them all together nicely without being seperate files to select in the right order (the right intro for the right episode for instance - and the log lady intro would be filed under SPECIALS to boot, more moving around in the interface outside of the show.) I just empty the bladder before I start watching an episode of Twin Peaks. I had this problem with 18.7, 18.8 and 18.9 also.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:20
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-15, 22:29
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-22, 00:38
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-23, 17:15
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-24, 02:23
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by brazen1 - 2015-06-24, 17:22
RE: Kodi 3D Guide - by michaelsammler - 2015-06-25, 09:26
HELP! - by brazen1 - 2018-08-22, 18:50
RE: HELP! - by zxaura1 - 2018-08-24, 09:32
Problem with DXVA scaling videos - by obstler - 2018-10-27, 10:13
RE: HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players - by twinpeaks - 2021-01-10, 17:29
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39