• 83(current)
Win HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus
nvm, I got it.

This would be easier if I could edit my post
@brazen1 

Avatar looks pretty damn nice.  Smooth as butter.  A little dark though.

does anyone know why this is happening?
I have 8-bit gpu with
Are you matching 0-255 or 16-235 with your display PC vs Shield?
Same with RGB vs YCbCr?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2021-05-20, 18:38)brazen1 Wrote: Are you matching 0-255 or 16-235 with your display PC vs Shield?
Same with RGB vs YCbCr?

yes, try with all possible settings, all that comes close is to put kodi in limited, the maximum nits already look good in limited, but the colors are very bad, I don't know what to do, I also tried in plex of the tv app, where you can not touch anything rgb or ycbr, and plays nornal as in the nvidia shield shield , please help me
I don't use a Shield or Plex.  Can't help you with that.  For a PC I use GPU RGB Full and match that 0-255 on my display.  In Kodi, I leave 16-235 unchecked so it too uses 0-255 matching my entire chain.  Your Shield (may) be using YCbCr at 16-235 limited and your display is also set to 16-235 limited.  Then when you switch to PC instead of Shield, PC is probably set to 0-255 Full while display is still set to 16-235 Limited and you have a mismatch?  PC prefers setting to RGB while all other devices prefer setting to YCbCr.  I know there are various combinations of full and limited as well as automatic switching depending on the source.  I can't help you with that because I only use the one.  Try setting your display to auto and see if it auto switches (if) your Shield and your PC use different color spaces.  Also, from your pics, I'm not certain it's a color space issue but it looks like it could be.  I doubt 8bit vs 10/12bit would be that dramatic.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
(2021-03-14, 19:55)brazen1 Wrote: Update to my current configuration using Kodi v20 which also applies to v19 Matrix: 

Kodi VideoPlayer now handles iso file playback with menus identical to a standalone player with a physical disc.  I passthrough 4k HDR and have no need to tone map.  This means I can migrate from other players and present my iso's with no loss or gain in quality using the latest versions of Kodi.  

I gain all the advantages the Kodi VideoPlayer offers, especially menus that external players with madVR are not capable of.  This includes DSPlayer which still doesn't handle iso's or provide menus.  Lacking support, it most likely never will.

I strive for the best quality possible.  While 4k HDR using the Kodi VideoPlayer is identical to passing through using madVR with an external player such as MPC-BE or an internal player such as DSPlayer, there are occasions external players with madVR would still be superior and desired - such as upscaling video less than 4k (540p, 720p, 1080p).  Since video quality will be gained, lack of menus will be a trade-off.  That said, you would need to determine if it improves quality enough for you.  It does me. 

To put it another way, 4k needs no improvements.  There is nothing to improve.  This is why we simply passed it through untouched using madVR or other means in the past.  Now that Kodi can also pass it through, we've lost nothing but we have gained the Kodi GUI with menus our iso's offer.  Of course, if you do need to alter 4k video because your display is not up to the task, using official Kodi will only benefit you using madVR to tone map your external player(s).

So, I use Kodi to playback all 4k HDR video and madVR with MPC-BE for everything else.  Exceptions are MP4's and Kodi GUI trailers which also playback using Kodi VideoPlayer.  This is just what I prefer but you can custom tailor what you prefer.  For instance, 1080p iso's open automatically with madVR and MPC-BE because I'd rather they upscale the main movie video rather than present menus.  As always, I can override the automatic selection of player choice using the 'Play Using' menu in Kodi and this remains seamless.  Perhaps I want to interact with the menus and when finished I want to play the main movie through madVR for instance.

For Kodi to automate multi player and component selection, I remain using the same setup of madVR, LAV Filters, external player(s), .bats, playercorefactory.xml, file name inclusion, and Kodi itself.  The 1st page in this thread will point you to all of that in detail.  Kodi does offer a new setting - Settings/Player/Videos/Use display HDR capabilities.  I've also installed JAVA x64 which makes menus possible.  On a side note, the author of 4D Theatre Wind Effect has improved the code so that all of this Kodi vs External player auto switching coincides perfectly.

If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask.  Myself or others should be able to help.  Enjoy  Smile

Just a dumb question,can i actually watch 3d using only kodi on androidbox,tv is a Samsung 4k,using hdmi to TV. Or is it only possible with a PC hopkup to tv
(2021-07-01, 08:27)Mekey Wrote:
(2021-03-14, 19:55)brazen1 Wrote: Update to my current configuration using Kodi v20 which also applies to v19 Matrix: 

Kodi VideoPlayer now handles iso file playback with menus identical to a standalone player with a physical disc.  I passthrough 4k HDR and have no need to tone map.  This means I can migrate from other players and present my iso's with no loss or gain in quality using the latest versions of Kodi.  

I gain all the advantages the Kodi VideoPlayer offers, especially menus that external players with madVR are not capable of.  This includes DSPlayer which still doesn't handle iso's or provide menus.  Lacking support, it most likely never will.

I strive for the best quality possible.  While 4k HDR using the Kodi VideoPlayer is identical to passing through using madVR with an external player such as MPC-BE or an internal player such as DSPlayer, there are occasions external players with madVR would still be superior and desired - such as upscaling video less than 4k (540p, 720p, 1080p).  Since video quality will be gained, lack of menus will be a trade-off.  That said, you would need to determine if it improves quality enough for you.  It does me. 

To put it another way, 4k needs no improvements.  There is nothing to improve.  This is why we simply passed it through untouched using madVR or other means in the past.  Now that Kodi can also pass it through, we've lost nothing but we have gained the Kodi GUI with menus our iso's offer.  Of course, if you do need to alter 4k video because your display is not up to the task, using official Kodi will only benefit you using madVR to tone map your external player(s).

So, I use Kodi to playback all 4k HDR video and madVR with MPC-BE for everything else.  Exceptions are MP4's and Kodi GUI trailers which also playback using Kodi VideoPlayer.  This is just what I prefer but you can custom tailor what you prefer.  For instance, 1080p iso's open automatically with madVR and MPC-BE because I'd rather they upscale the main movie video rather than present menus.  As always, I can override the automatic selection of player choice using the 'Play Using' menu in Kodi and this remains seamless.  Perhaps I want to interact with the menus and when finished I want to play the main movie through madVR for instance.

For Kodi to automate multi player and component selection, I remain using the same setup of madVR, LAV Filters, external player(s), .bats, playercorefactory.xml, file name inclusion, and Kodi itself.  The 1st page in this thread will point you to all of that in detail.  Kodi does offer a new setting - Settings/Player/Videos/Use display HDR capabilities.  I've also installed JAVA x64 which makes menus possible.  On a side note, the author of 4D Theatre Wind Effect has improved the code so that all of this Kodi vs External player auto switching coincides perfectly.

If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask.  Myself or others should be able to help.  Enjoy  Smile

Just a dumb question,can i actually watch 3d using only kodi on androidbox,tv is a Samsung 4k,using hdmi to TV. Or is it only possible with a PC hopkup to tv

Sorry.  I've never used an "androidbox" and I don't entertain 3D via a PC anymore since all upgraded displays are non-3D.  Maybe someone else would know.

(2021-07-01, 18:45)brazen1 Wrote:
(2021-07-01, 08:27)Mekey Wrote:

Sorry.  I've never used an "androidbox" and I don't entertain 3D via a PC anymore since all upgraded displays are non-3D.  Maybe someone else would know.

Ok thanks,I hope someone else can shed some Light,really hoüing for some help

Fascinating. It feels like 19 just came out! This is a great news and reduces complexity. Have you found any big bugs yet that are causing workarounds / frustration? I may just copy my Kodi folder as backup and then upgrade to 20 to try.
(2021-08-01, 20:03)twinpeaks Wrote:

Fascinating. It feels like 19 just came out! This is a great news and reduces complexity. Have you found any big bugs yet that are causing workarounds / frustration? I may just copy my Kodi folder as backup and then upgrade to 20 to try.

This build and prior builds work okay.  Every single v20 build after it is problematic for me.  They are not iso friendly.  Not even player controls work.  On the other hand, mkv's are fine but I seldom use mkv's.

KodiSetup-20210404-7ad079de-

Hi, please if someone can guide me on what parameter (playercorefactory file) have to tweak in order to work properly as I want it to.

I have PowerDVD set to play all the formats I use: iso/3Diso/mt2/BDMV/m2ts and DVDFab only to play full 4K either iso or folders. The problem is that when I want to play a folder with uhd iso PowerDVD opens it, only DVDFab can open it if I do it with the contextual menu of open media with...  

This has been my last configuration and it doesn't work either, I don't know what to do more.
xml:

<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="DVDFab" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
    <filename>C:\Program Files\DVDFab\Player 6\DVDFab Player 6.exe</filename>
    <args>"{1}"</args>
    <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
    <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
    <forceontop>false</forceontop>
    <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
<player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
    <filename>C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD19\PDVDLP.exe</filename>
    <args>"{1}"</args>
    <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
    <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
    <forceontop>false</forceontop>
    <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule video="true" player="paplayer">
    <rule filetypes="iso|bdmv|mpls|m2ts" player="PowerDVD"/>
      <rule filename=".*uhd.*" player="DVDFab"/>
    </rule>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
That's because your PDVD filetypes are not exclusive.  They share common filetypes with the 4K iso's you want FAB to open exclusively.  Just because you're using a filename for FAB, doesn't mean PDVD filetypes are going to be ignored.  Every PDVD rule you have is the same for a 4k iso so all of them are common.  Fwiw, FAB doesn't match refresh rates unless you manually change in GPU settings before playback and you'll need to put it back after - not ideal imo.  Also, the Kodi internal VideoPlayer handles 4k iso's with menus but read my post above yours.  So do other external players but without menus.  If you insist on using those two players, perhaps use a unique filename for "HDR" assigned to FAB and another for "SDR" assigned to PDVD but you'd have to rename all your iso's.  I'd test a few first to make sure the PCF.xml can handle two filename rules because it might not.  If it does, I'd flip the two rules one before the other and make sure that doesn't make a difference either.

(2022-01-03, 01:30)brazen1 Wrote: That's because your PDVD filetypes are not exclusive.  They share common filetypes with the 4K iso's you want FAB to open exclusively.  Just because you're using a filename for FAB, doesn't mean PDVD filetypes are going to be ignored.  Every PDVD rule you have is the same for a 4k iso so all of them are common.  Fwiw, FAB doesn't match refresh rates unless you manually change in GPU settings before playback and you'll need to put it back after - not ideal imo.  Also, the Kodi internal VideoPlayer handles 4k iso's with menus but read my post above yours.  So do other external players but without menus.  If you insist on using those two players, perhaps use a unique filename for "HDR" assigned to FAB and another for "SDR" assigned to PDVD but you'd have to rename all your iso's.  I'd test a few first to make sure the PCF.xml can handle two filename rules because it might not.  If it does, I'd flip the two rules one before the other and make sure that doesn't make a difference either.
Thank you brazen1 for all your suggestions. In fact thanks to your detailed tutorials I have learned how to use an external player embedded in kodi.  About playing uhd iso inside kodi itself, it will be an alternative but personally I prefer to do it with FAB because of the menus. From the tests I've been doing, PowerDVD doesn't play them due to its nonsense restrictions on the uhd specs with menu. For example my 11th generation processor is not supported according to the current specs they have because they only support playback and support this playback from 4th to 9th generation processors, or something like that. It is a significant example of the nonsense of these developers. About DVDFab not assigning the refresh rate automatically, doing a test with some uhd full, the truth is that the playback was quite smooth with few frame jumps and it was perfectly enjoyable. Well, now that you mention it, maybe PCF.xml doesn't quite support assigning dual media for external playback. I think it's very clear in the example above that only files with the name uhd are assigned to the FAB and all the others with whatever extension are played by PowerDVD. I've done several tests and I haven't had any success in any of them. If I don't find the solution, I'll leave it like this, because at least I can assign the playback via context menu. As you can see neither of them need any .bat to load the iso's as both players are self-contained to support .iso loading without any other third party software. 

Curiously, I changed the order of these two rules in the .xml and kodi didn't recognise either of them, so kodi played all formats. Very curious about the syntax rules of this file. Specifically the behaviour was due to the exchange of these two rules.
Quote:<rules action="prepend">
    <rule filename=".*uhd.*" player="DVDFab"/>
    <rule filetypes="iso|bdmv|mpls|m2ts" player="PowerDVD"/>
      </rule>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>
If getting this combination to work involves me renaming the whole library, then I'd rather leave it like this. I also wouldn't know how to rename it properly to get the behaviour I want.
(2022-01-03, 11:31)moenk Wrote: About playing uhd iso inside kodi itself, it will be an alternative but personally I prefer to do it with FAB because of the menus.
Kodi does handle all menus - just like a dedicated hardware bd player with a physical disc and just like FAB.  All 3 display menus identical.  I used to use FAB for menus because Kodi didn't handle menus yet.  Now it does so I have no use for FAB anymore especially because it doesn't have a setting to match refresh rates and playback when not matching looks terrible.  FAB offers no advantage vs Kodi, only detriment imo.  That said, I don't use any of its bells and whistles others might appreciate.  Still, I keep FAB and PDVD as optional players accessed via the Kodi context menu... just cuz. 
(2022-01-03, 11:31)moenk Wrote: From the tests I've been doing, PowerDVD doesn't play them due to its nonsense restrictions on the uhd specs with menu.
True but only for UHD.  However, it is still useful for 3D, a format I no longer use and therefor unnecessary for me personally.  Also useful for SDR menus but since Kodi handles this niche, I no longer need this external player either despite bells and whistles of no interest to me.
(2022-01-03, 11:31)moenk Wrote: About DVDFab not assigning the refresh rate automatically, doing a test with some uhd full, the truth is that the playback was quite smooth with few frame jumps and it was perfectly enjoyable.
If it's good enough for you, fine but the truth is, you can confirm the refresh rate mismatch easily other than looking at the playback.  Assuming your GPU desktop is set to 60Hz, as it should be, start a common 23.976 video.  Open your GPU rate setting.  It is going to report 60Hz instead of matching at 23Hz.  Look at the final step which is your display info.  It too is going to report 60Hz instead of 23Hz.  A complete mismatch easily noticed by eye during any long pan scene or general motion.  
(2022-01-03, 11:31)moenk Wrote: As you can see neither of them need any .bat to load the iso's as both players are self-contained to support .iso loading without any other third party software. 
This is true and I no longer use dedicated .bats for these players because I no longer use them.  Fwiw, using .bats speeds-up the disc mounting way faster than the internal mounting code the players use.  I still mount iso's for MPC players though and require .bats for them.

(2022-01-03, 11:31)moenk Wrote: If getting this combination to work involves me renaming the whole library, then I'd rather leave it like this. I also wouldn't know how to rename it properly to get the behaviour I want.

You would add the text SDR or HDR to your existing file names.  Then the PCF.xml can assign a specific player based on those filenames.  I'm just not sure if the PCF.xml likes 2 player assignments using a 2 filename syntax.  That said, they work for me.  Usually, it likes filename and filetype rules because they are different and easy to distinguish and usually it doesn't matter the order they are coded.

Again, you want FAB to play your UHD and you have uhd included in your file name.  Unfortunately, you have rules for PDVD that conflict - all of them aamof.  Your UHD is a bdmv and an iso and mpls and m2ts.  The PCF.xml is going to struggle to exclude those PDVD rules for your uhd name.  They share them.  This is why you're having a problem.  You have to define them differently or use a working code that it doesn't struggle with.  I can only suggest what I have by using SDR and HDR text to distinguish them when using PDVD and FAB.  That said, I use the setup I use to uncomplicate everything while remaining diverse:

MPC players, madVR and LAV for quality when all I want is the main movie and no menus defined by filename and filetypes.  These players and component usage go much, much deeper because I apply unique processing for my very diverse collection which without it, wouldn't display perfectly in all circumstances.  Many times on a video by video basis. 

Kodi for everything HDR defined by filename.  I passthrough.  It doesn't matter what player one uses.  They all render identical because the data is being passed through for the display to handle most of the duties.  The only difference is using Windows HDR or GPU HDR which to the eye is no difference other than two ways to engage HDR at display.  Neither is advantages over the other afaik.

The Kodi VideoPlayer is going to default for anything not included in a rule or when a rule(s) conflict.  All of this said, after a lot of experimenting, these rules, in this exact order, work perfectly for me even though they 'should' be conflicting: 

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
     <player name="PowerDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD19\PDVDLP.exe</filename>
       <playcountminimumtime>30</playcountminimumtime>
     </player>
     <player name="DVDFab 3" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab Media Player 3\FabPlayer.exe</filename>
     </player>
     <player name="DVDFab 5" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab Player 5\DVDFab Player 5.exe</filename>
     </player>
     <player name="DVDFab 6" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\DVDFab Player 6\DVDFab Player 6.exe</filename>
     </player>
     <player name="MPC-BE" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Users\DAN\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\MPCBE.bat</filename>
     </player>
     <player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Users\DAN\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\MPCHC.bat</filename>
     </player>
     <player name="PotPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
       <filename>C:\Program Files\DAUM\PotPlayer\PotPlayerMini64.exe</filename>
     </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
     <rule filename=".*1080p*.|.*SDR*." player="MPC-BE"/>
     <rule filename=".*HDR10.*|.*HDR.*|.*hdr.*|.*1080p.HDR*." player="VideoPlayer"/>
     <rule filetypes="iso|bdmv|mpls|m2ts|mkv|avi|mp4|mov|ts|flv|wmv" player="MPC-BE"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

• 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players ISO Menus39