• 2(current)
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC
indeed you are correct that i didnt search all sections.
anyways thanks for the link.
I don't have the programming skills necessary to contribute, but I am a great 'idea man'.

Would there be any possibility of working in MythTV or the like?

Don't get me wrong, XBMC is absolutely fantastic, and I do really appreciate all the effort that must have gone into creating it.

Just a suggestion. Nod
there is already a mythtv client written in python for xbmc. Its an open source project on sourceforge and can be found here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv/
what a freaking original idea!!!oneoneone

i see why you call yourself a great idea man Tongue
Loto_Bak Wrote:there is already a mythtv client written in python for xbmc. Its an open source project on sourceforge and can be found here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv/

I would assume based on the fact that he posted in the 'XBMC for Linux Discussions' forum that he meant a built-in frontend in the linux version.

P3kurwud, it's early days yet, but all this sort of stuff is being considered, and should eventually be implemented.
Have you looked at using MythTV's uPnP server? mythbackend exports all your recorded programs, music, and (recently added) mythvideo. There's no need for any scripting or sql access to unjumble the filenames because recorded programs are exported with sane names.

http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/UPnP
XBMC is listed under "UPnP-clients softwares/hardware have not yet been tested with MythTV"
As a followup to my post above, XBMC's uPnP implementation doesn't appear to like MythTV's. This is because MythTVs does its advertises and listens for searches on the muticast address (correctly), and XBMC's uses the broadcast address (due to lack of multicast availability in the XDK).
Aaaaand I can't figure out how to edit my previous message but it looks like MythTV should support the broadcast address (source code shows it creating the broadcast socket and it does wait on it, so...). In addition mythtv r13022:
* Fixed XBMC issue...
I was wondering if anyone is using their Xbox with XBMC to interface with a Mythtv backend.
I am not impressed with the Mytvtv script and I was hoping that it might be possible to Xbox Frontend while keeping XBMC up and running. I don't want to loose the great features of XBMC.
Maybe a plugin might be a useful interface for this. No idea what sort of things a "MythTV frontend" is supposed to be able to offer.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

rlongfield Wrote:I was wondering if anyone is using their Xbox with XBMC to interface with a Mythtv backend.
I am not impressed with the Mytvtv script and I was hoping that it might be possible to Xbox Frontend while keeping XBMC up and running. I don't want to loose the great features of XBMC.
Currently there is no PVR/DVR interface nativly built-into XBMC, so you will either have to make due with the existing MythTV and myTV python scripts, or you can learn python to improve those scripts yourself (they are open source after all), ...or if you happen to know a good C/C++ programmer then you can try to lobby them to developer this "One common PVR/DVR/HTPC front-end GUI (client)" I suggested a while back.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I know it's early in the porting of XBMC on Linux, but I thought I'd stick the ol' hornets' nest and see what shakes loose.

MythTV is (IMHO) the best DVR application for Linux. However its media management isn't so hot - Mythmusic and Mythvideo are nowhere near as good as XBMC's. Plus, they don't get as much attention from the devs as the core MythTV application.

So, my question - Two parts, actually: One, has there been any talk or thought put into integrating XBMC into MythTV? And two, how hard would it be from a technical point of view? I'm no developer but I believe that the Myth plugins like MythMusic et al are executables just wrapped inside the big Myth wrapper - How hard would it be to fold XBMC's individual pieces inside MythTV?
well i've been thinking of adding support for being a little bit of a frontend, atleast listing current recorded stuff, start live playback and such.

It has been mentioned and someone tinkered with it to the extent of shelling out to it from XBMC. IMO - get the code feature complete vis a vis the XBOX version and then sweat it. Writing something to read what has been recorded on a Myth back-end is a great start IMO but not something to burden the developers with now. XBMC on the XBOX was awesome for a reason - it was a terrific front-end for media. This is shaping up to be that on Linux so *I* think getting that right first is most important. Myth integration or integration with tuners is a natural desire that I think will and oughtto happen - but not yet. There's enough porting to do already without new featuresShocked
Hey, dont talk to man out of it!!! I would love to see this.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC1