• 9(current)
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC
Well any time you start livetv, you start a recorder that will record current program. If you don't manage to stop that recorder when livetv exits, it will keep recording, and next program that shows up will be a new recording.

They will be added to the LiveTV recording group. They are not complete recordings so to speak. upnp server shows all recordings (even those generated from livetv watching). I filter those away, cause it's not something you usually want to watch again.

About stopping recordings, i have no idea. I always have to restart backend to stop them. not even official frontend seem to be able to stop them (or more correctly it stops recording, but start directly again on a different file, but same program)

mysql as installed by default in ubuntu gutsy, to start with only listens on localhost. then the mythbackend db only accepts connections from local host. You have to do something like.

$ sudo mysql mythconverg
mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"%" identified by "mythtv";
mysql> flush privileges;

The last "mythtv" should be the password you have setup for the mythtv-backend. (you could potentially leave it at mythtv even if your password normally is different, but then you have different passwords from localhost and remote). i'd suggest you use the random password ubuntu generated for you, its in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt

this url has some info on this, but fails to explain that the last identified by "mythtv" is acually the password wanted :/
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

not sure if this is relevant but when you use the xbmcmythtv python script you need to set mysql to use old passwords ( at least with Ubuntu) There are posts in the sourceforge forum on how to do this
Yeah ive tried the mythtvscript fails to connect at the moment tried to take a look at forums but sf! is down ***again***
Elupus have have granted pivileges to range of ip's 192.168.1.% changed the bindaddress in mysql to the backends address opened those ports on my router 6544 6453 and 3306 for the backends ip.

on xbox moment i choose a channel the server start recording and nothing else happens. select channel again and it loops with busy dialog. i then have to restart backend and we are back to square 1.

any other magic you can think of would be appreciated... ive sifted through the myth manual but i dont think i have many more options.
I'm running XBMC-Linux on the same box as my MythTV Backend.

In XBMC when I browse the filesystem directly to the recordings (mpg's) and play them (skipping MythTV altogether) -- then ff/rwd/skip is extremely responsive, no issues whatsoever.

When I use MythTV via myth://user:pass@localhost/ to view my recordings, the audio is way out of sync, ff/rwd/skip is dreadfully slow, almost useless.

This begs the question -- is it worth the extra overhead and coding to use cmyth/the mythtv protocol to stream the packets, or would it be more wise to follow xbmcmythtv's approach and simply use the mythtv database to get metadata, and use the filesystem/samba to handle the video packets? (which works great)

Thoughts? Has anyone else ran into my problems with MythTV/XBMC ff/rwd/skip?
C-Quel.
before you do something stupid. why in the name of god are you touching your router?!? Are your computer and myth backend on different network??

Otherwise opening ports is just for allowing people on the Internet to access computers on your local network, so close those immediately.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Tried doing a new compile on my mythtv backend " ubuntuserver" machine and using localhost as address but still behaves in exactly the same way as when on the seperate machine. Have pasted the full terminal and xbmc logs here: http://pastebin.com/m2428a59a
Have checked the DNS servers addresses and all seems Ok but am still getting this in Terminal:
(cmyth)__cmyth_rcv_proginfo: got recording info
#
(cmyth)cmyth_connect: cannot resolve hostname 'ubuntuserver'
#
(cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect_file: cmyth_connect(ubuntuserver, 6543, 16384) failed
#
(cmyth)cmyth_livetv_chain_setup: cmyth_conn_connect_file(myth://ubuntuserver:6543/video/tv/1064_20080223192024.mpg) failed

Am wondering if its something to do with the backend setup but Xbox XBMCmythtv python script connects fine as does standard Linux mythtv frontend.
elupus Wrote:C-Quel.
before you do something stupid. why in the name of god are you touching your router?!? Are your computer and myth backend on different network??

Otherwise opening ports is just for allowing people on the Internet to access computers on your local network, so close those immediately.

Smile thanks for the advice i know its for external services only www,ftp etc... i was just covering ALL possible scenarios ensuring there was nothing that could be an issue. Have you had XBOX & MythTV working yourself Elupus?
yes, works on my xbox. only thing i had to fix i've already mentioned (the mysql stuff). currently can't test anything thou as my reception has been too horrible last couple of days.

Feisty or Gutsy? i had to make changes to old_password to get the MythTV Script running under Gutsy... but i do now have flawless playback through it.

Could this be related at all?

mysql -u root -p mysql
(enter root password)

update user SET Password=OLD_PASSWORD('<mythtv user password>') where
User='<mythtv username>';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
exit;
ptipton Wrote:Tried doing a new compile on my mythtv backend " ubuntuserver" machine and using localhost as address but still behaves in exactly the same way as when on the seperate machine. Have pasted the full terminal and xbmc logs here: http://pastebin.com/m2428a59a
Have checked the DNS servers addresses and all seems Ok but am still getting this in Terminal:
(cmyth)__cmyth_rcv_proginfo: got recording info
#
(cmyth)cmyth_connect: cannot resolve hostname 'ubuntuserver'
#
(cmyth)cmyth_conn_connect_file: cmyth_connect(ubuntuserver, 6543, 16384) failed
#
(cmyth)cmyth_livetv_chain_setup: cmyth_conn_connect_file(myth://ubuntuserver:6543/video/tv/1064_20080223192024.mpg) failed

Am wondering if its something to do with the backend setup but Xbox XBMCmythtv python script connects fine as does standard Linux mythtv frontend.

I had the same problem. A quick fix is to put the hostname, in your case, 'ubuntuserver' in your /etc/hosts file on your frontend box. Add a line:
"<ip of ubuntuserver> ubuntuserver"

That way linux is able to resolve 'ubuntuserver'.
Now have xbmc linux front end connecting OK ( thanks Solver) but now have problem that live tv spends large amounts of time buffering and seems to use almost 100% cpu whilst doing so.
Have also now installed on my Xbox as well, in this case it fails to play the selected TV channel ( get the xTV loading video rotating circle and then goes back to channel menu)
Have posted both logs here http://pastebin.com/m73d62885
the xbox fails with the same issue as you had on linux. ie hostname. i will try and figure out why this happens, not sure it's that easy to fix thou, as mythtv supports multiple backends, thus the server will have to return the hostname to connect to.

the full cpu usage i'm not sure what could be the cause of. will see if i'm missing a sleep somewhere.

you can correct you mythtv backend to return ip address instead. it's specified during backend setup.

im at a deadend now regards live tv on xbox... linux port works perfectly. Moment i select a channel on xbox i hear the server hd activity and it starts recording but plays nothing on xbox itself. 2nd attempt at playing file results in busy dialog.

Hey Elupus wanna swap servers and xboxes Smile at least itll work for me then Wink
hehe. well we shall do some more debugging on the issue after i've commited some better session handling (currently we create a new session for each request). haven't been able to test it thou due to bad reception. i'm hopping i have reception tonite Smile

• 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MythTV front-end client built-into to XBMC1