Ignoring contents of brackets [] in movie names
Hi, I would like to start using Kodi to manage my collection of movies, but am having some problems with the naming convention. I would ideally like the release year (and in some case month) to precede the file name for transparent sorting. For example

Code:
[1999-03] The Matrix.mkv
[2003-05] The Matrix Reloaded.mkv
[2003-11] The Matrix Revolutions.mkv

However doing this is stopping the scraper from finding the films automatically, putting the year after the name works, but then they are not automatically sorted by release which is important to me. I was wondering if there was some way of getting the scraper to ignore the contents of the preceding square brackets, so it could find the film as normal. I have read about using clean strings but am unsure exactly how to set that up to do what I want.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Advancedsettings.x...defromscan

This might be the thing you are looking for
Surely that excludes the whole file from being scanned, I still want the films to be scanned, just for the scraper to ignore the brackets and their contents, (i.e everything to the left of the ] is ignored). I think I need to use either clean string or clean date and time, but I am a bit confused to how regexp works, so am not sure exactly how to use it to get the effect I want.
Why not just name using expected conventions and then sort by year - fly out menu from the left hand side of the screen?
Alec100, do you want the sorting on your server disk when you browse there, or do you want the sort in Kodi views?
The problem with sorting by year is that correct meta data would have to be added to each film and the system browsing it would have to be set specifically to sort using the meta data. Simply having the release date at the start of the file name is more transparent as it keeps the order correct in anything which sorts by file name (which is the default sort in most things). This way the order is correct when browsing the files in windows and also correct when sorted by File in Kodi. With all the options that Kodi has I find it had to believe that it is impossible to get the effect I want (which is simply for preceding parenthesis to be excluded from the search term sent to the scraper), and it would be appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction on how to do this.
I thought the "Regula Expressions" (which are linked to in the Wiki I linked above) could exclude the brackets from the scan and not the whole file. Sorry, if I was mistaken.
(2015-06-22, 22:00)alec100_94 Wrote: The problem with sorting by year is that correct meta data would have to be added to each film and the system browsing it would have to be set specifically to sort using the meta data. Simply having the release date at the start of the file name is more transparent as it keeps the order correct in anything which sorts by file name (which is the default sort in most things). This way the order is correct when browsing the files in windows and also correct when sorted by File in Kodi. With all the options that Kodi has I find it had to believe that it is impossible to get the effect I want (which is simply for preceding parenthesis to be excluded from the search term sent to the scraper), and it would be appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction on how to do this.

The whole point of scanning files into Kodi's library is so that you don't have to mess with each file. The scraper downloads the correct metadata automatically. Otherwise, why bother with the scraper?
Basically I am trying to devise a system where the films will always show up in the correct order (not just in kodi's movie database). Without having the release date at the start of the file name I see no way of doing this, as by default things are sorted by file name. When browsing the files in Kodi (through video > files) or browsing the files in windows explorer there is no easy sort by year option, and even if there was the correct year would have to be attached to each individual file (which is what I meant by meta data).

So my problem is I always want the files to be sorted in order of release, even when they are sorted by name, putting the release date in front achieve's this, But it also essentially breaks the scraper (as it includes the year as part of the file name). So I want some way of ignoring preceding parenthesis (i.e [IGNORE] "Film Title".mkv) or some other way of keeping them in release order when sorting by name which wouldn't break the scraper. I really think it seems like something that should be possible (even if it's through editing files), as I would have thought other people would have had similar problems in the past.
Will be possible when https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5499 is merged for v16. Unfortunately we totally lost track on this but it's a most welcome addition.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ignoring contents of brackets [] in movie names0