Solved Skipping inconsistent, forward sometimes skips back etc.
This is something I've noticed for a while, although doesn't seem to have been reported by others (that I can find) so I do wonder whether it's specific to my setup.

I'm running tvheadend 4.0.5 on OpenElec 5.95.2 with client 2.1.9.

If I skip forward in a partial/complete recording, or paused live TV buffer, the results are really inconsistent.
Sometime it skips forwards the correct amount, sometimes a smaller amount.
If I repeatedly skip then it often skips backwards a chunk! Occasionally this unexpected backwards skip is to the beginning of the programme (although, at the point of doing this, I'm no where near the end of the recording or buffer).
The top-right "Seeking" display always shows the correct "SEEKING +01:00" (or multiple of) as you'd expect to see, but more often than not I don't end up where I should do.

I ought to say that I've set the System | Video | Playback | Skip steps to be just -60 and +60, so my skipping is just 1 or more increments of 60s, but the behaviour was the same with the "new style" skip steps.

This doesn't happen when I watch the same recordings from "Videos" (via a share), or when watching other videos not recorded with tvheadend - skipping seems to work fine from there - it only happens when playing back partial or complete recordings from TV | Recordings or when pausing live TV and then trying to skip forwards.

Any ideas?
Turns out it's not just skipping...

If I fast forward a completed recording, everything goes as expected until I press "Play" to restart viewing.

Sometimes it will play where it should do, but often it replays 30s or so earlier, and on occasion a few minutes earlier.
On these occasions I see "Seeking" in the pop-up dialogue (with the times) but the point of restart is wrong.

As with the previous post, if I play back the recording under "Videos" instead, both skipping and FF work correctly.
I'm seeing this problem also. I notice that a thread has also been started about this issue (by you, actually) in the TVHeadEnd forum:

https://tvheadend.org/boards/14/topics/16975?r=17524

Hope there will be some type of fix forthcoming.
Exactly the same problem here as described above (running Kodi 15.1).

I initially thought it was just recordings that had a slightly dodgy timecode, but .... as stated above, the same file (mpeg within a ts container) will skip forward/backward perfectly when the recording is played from the "videos" part of kodi, so it would appear very specific to the streaming (htsp ?) functionality within the "TV" section ...
There's a ticket for it at https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts/issues/92.
I was checking back on this and found that there is an open ticket on this issue at https://github.com/kodi-pvr/pvr.hts/issues/92 (oops, I see negge already mentioned that).

It appears to me that the people experiencing this issue have all the following in common, based on what I've read in that ticket and in various threads:
  • Kodi 15.0 or 15.1
  • Running under a recent version of Ubuntu (14.04 LTS or newer) EDIT: A Windows 7 user is also reporting this problem
  • Running the kodi-pvr-hts addon from the Kodi repo added using the ppa (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa) (applicable to Ubuntu only)
  • Playing the recording by going to "Live TV" then "Recordings" (it does not happen if the .ts file is played via the Video menu, bypassing the addon)
  • Playing a saved .ts (transport stream) file from the TVHeadEnd backend (I don't know if the container format is part of the equation or not, but I do know that .ts files have this issue)

If anyone is having this issue and one or more of the above doesn't apply to you, you might want to add to the ticket and mention that, since it could help pinpoint the issue.
I'll look into it today, will try to reproduce on my development machine (Windows 7). I haven't been able to reproduce this on my own HTPC though (Ubuntu 14.04, Isengard 15.1).
I'm just going to add my "me too" here. I've been having this pretty consistently on Jarvis. For my linux machines, I compile both Kodi and the addon from git. I see the issue also on OSX where I use the official nightly builds. I had seen the same issues on Isengard as well.

For the bad skipping in recordings, it seems to happen more often on longer recordings - and more often the further in you are. I'll start recording a sports event of several hours (the intent is to start watching it later while it's still in progress, then skip through commercials). The later I get into the recording, the more likely it's going to skip to the start of the recording instead of skipping forward. After a while I just give up and watch the commercials (if I can even get it to skip to where I was). Or I take the time to load the TS file as a regular item in Kodi so I can skip reliably.

The bad skipping also happens in timeshifting live tv playback - half the time the playback just hangs until you skip again.
(2015-08-23, 14:06)puithove Wrote: I'm just going to add my "me too" here. I've been having this pretty consistently on Jarvis. For my linux machines, I compile both Kodi and the addon from git. I see the issue also on OSX where I use the official nightly builds. I had seen the same issues on Isengard as well.

For the bad skipping in recordings, it seems to happen more often on longer recordings - and more often the further in you are. I'll start recording a sports event of several hours (the intent is to start watching it later while it's still in progress, then skip through commercials). The later I get into the recording, the more likely it's going to skip to the start of the recording instead of skipping forward. After a while I just give up and watch the commercials (if I can even get it to skip to where I was). Or I take the time to load the TS file as a regular item in Kodi so I can skip reliably.

The bad skipping also happens in timeshifting live tv playback - half the time the playback just hangs until you skip again.
Put me down for another "me too". Same here about watching sports events, I like to wait awhile before watching so I can skip through commercials. It seem so random, hard to define the actions that would cause it. I am using the latest Kodi 15.1 running on my Android TV boxes.
(2015-08-23, 12:01)negge Wrote: I'll look into it today, will try to reproduce on my development machine (Windows 7). I haven't been able to reproduce this on my own HTPC though (Ubuntu 14.04, Isengard 15.1).

You may want to specifically focus on what was changed from the Helix version, since it worked perfectly there. And thank you for looking into this!
Did some testing today but I wasn't able to reproduce. I'll have some longer recordings tomorrow to test with since I'm recording the athletics world championship.
(2015-08-23, 21:52)negge Wrote: Did some testing today but I wasn't able to reproduce. I'll have some longer recordings tomorrow to test with since I'm recording the athletics world championship.

I am trying to figure out why you aren't seeing this problem when others are, and it occurs to me to ask if perhaps you are transcoding the programs on the backend in some way? I don't know about anyone else that's having this issue, but in my case the backend is saving the files with the original .ts (transport stream) file format, NOT transcoding them or changing the format of them in any way (in fact, I would love to know how some people manage to get TVHeadEnd to transcode, because I've never been able to decipher how it's done).

If your backend is saving the recordings as something other than a .ts file, that could be why you can't reproduce the issue. Or, it may be something else entirely, this is just a shot in the dark.
I am running tvheadend backend on my MK808B Plus with OpenELEC 5.0.3, and HDHomeRun dual OTA ATSC tuners. I am using the current Kodi 15 on my new Tronsmart Orion R68 (RK3368) as my frontend. My streams are mpeg2 ts and no additional transcoding. I am watching the preseason NFL game, I wait for half an hour before I start watching the in progress recording. Since I just had a Kodi update from the play store, I thought the erratic skipping problem was solved, because I made it through about 60 minutes skipping the commercials, before it jumped back to the start. This happened several more times until I gave up.

On a positive note, I could click on the ff button rapidly 6 or 7 times and it would fast forward 50 minutes.
I too am wondering why I'm not able to trigger it since it seems it's quite a common issue. I'm recording to .ts as well.
Could it be possible that it's related to the content being recorded? I know a lot of the providers in the US do some tricky stuff to the broadcast stream such as variable frame rate and mixed interlaced/progressive.

Would a sample file help you? It could be rather large to upload though.

Are others affected all in the US, or also elsewhere?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Skipping inconsistent, forward sometimes skips back etc.2