Setting up KODI/Media Portal: "Connection Lost" error
Hi,

I have Media Portal running on my server and am trying to connect from KODI on my Amazon FireTV box, using the Live TV facility.
Unfortunately, KODI can't seem to access the server, as it repeatedly displays the following warning:
"MEDIAPORTAL PVR CLIENT
Connection lost".

The steps I've taken are as follows...
1. on the server, I installed and enabled the TV Server plugin,
2. on the KODI box, I enabled Live TV, and
3. again on the KODI box, I specified the appropriate IP address for the server, and set login and password.

I've checked the Firewall settings, but can't see any problems (although I haven't ruled it out as the cause).

Can anyone help me with this problem?
I've found loads of reports of the issue online, but no solutions as yet.
Thanks in advance for any assistance!
I think I can remember that the MediaPortal TV-Service itself has to be run not as LocalSystem, but as a network user that has full access to the required shares for saving recordings and timeshift data...
Bye,
Fry
Kodi v17.6 with shared MariaDB v10.3 | HTS Tvheadend 4.2.6 on RPi2 | running on:
Windows 10x64 | Nvidia Shield | FireTV4k | FireTVStick4 | Android 5 | RPi3 with OSMC
(2015-06-30, 12:07)Fry7 Wrote: I think I can remember that the MediaPortal TV-Service itself has to be run not as LocalSystem, but as a network user that has full access to the required shares for saving recordings and timeshift data...

That is only true if the shares are on a pc other than the TVServer.
Normally TVServer writes to local folders and only the (Kodi) clients access those folders via share.
(2015-06-28, 01:33)alexeix Wrote: Hi,

I have Media Portal running on my server and am trying to connect from KODI on my Amazon FireTV box, using the Live TV facility.
Unfortunately, KODI can't seem to access the server, as it repeatedly displays the following warning:
"MEDIAPORTAL PVR CLIENT
Connection lost".

The steps I've taken are as follows...
1. on the server, I installed and enabled the TV Server plugin,
2. on the KODI box, I enabled Live TV, and
3. again on the KODI box, I specified the appropriate IP address for the server, and set login and password.

I've checked the Firewall settings, but can't see any problems (although I haven't ruled it out as the cause).

Can anyone help me with this problem?
I've found loads of reports of the issue online, but no solutions as yet.
Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I understand you

The problem has nothing to do with a bad configuration, firewall or anything we as users miss or do wrong. Is a bug.

Actually I have my MediaPortal running perfectly but at the beginning was impossible toachieve it , with those "no pvr enabled" or "pvr connection lost" messages.

How I solved it? I don't know. Touching, rebooting, enabling other pvrs, enabling back the mp pvr, unistalling addon, installing again, cleanin pvr databases, etc etc... everything EXCEPT changing the configuration, because cfg is not the problem. Not the users fault. Is a bug.
I found this happened while I had just installed MediaPortal, expecting that to work.

But I have version 2.0 since that's the latest version and all Kodi documentation report it is version 1.2 that is supported. Is that true today? Will support for 2.0 be coming shortly?

That said, I'm a first time user wanting to get Live TV to work. What PVR software works best with Kodi? I tried two so far but neither works and I'd prefer not to install MediaPortal 1.2 since that's old.

As a piece of feedback I think the Kodi setup experience can improve a lot. There's too much text and too few actual instructions in the Getting Started guides. There's so much text most of it is out of date. The recommended 'choco install xbmc' way of getting Kodi installs a seriously outdated version. Once I install Kodi, it'd be great to be offered clear, concise and brief information -or- a setup wizard to configure it. It's not rocket science but I get annoyed having to try and go back and try again. I'd even be fine if setup would bundle optional components such as a PVR service and is able to enable it properly so Live TV 'just works' out of the box.
(2015-08-05, 17:27)EricNL Wrote: I found this happened while I had just installed MediaPortal, expecting that to work.

But I have version 2.0 since that's the latest version and all Kodi documentation report it is version 1.2 that is supported. Is that true today? Will support for 2.0 be coming shortly?

That said, I'm a first time user wanting to get Live TV to work. What PVR software works best with Kodi? I tried two so far but neither works and I'd prefer not to install MediaPortal 1.2 since that's old.

As a piece of feedback I think the Kodi setup experience can improve a lot. There's too much text and too few actual instructions in the Getting Started guides. There's so much text most of it is out of date. The recommended 'choco install xbmc' way of getting Kodi installs a seriously outdated version. Once I install Kodi, it'd be great to be offered clear, concise and brief information -or- a setup wizard to configure it. It's not rocket science but I get annoyed having to try and go back and try again. I'd even be fine if setup would bundle optional components such as a PVR service and is able to enable it properly so Live TV 'just works' out of the box.
If you want to give MediaPortal and Kodi a try again, you have to install MediaPortal 1.22.
It's not old: http://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/med...l-released
(MediaPortal 1 and 2 are two completely seperate products. But both are being developed further)
In the installer of MediaPortal you have to check TVServer only, because MediaPortals own frontend isn't needed as you want to use Kodi.
I reverted to MediaPortal 1.12 and Kodi 14.2, installing SqlExpress 2014 to satisfy the db dependency. All on the same machine.

And yes I don't get TV on the main screen and I get disconnections and warnings as documented above. Should I revert to even earlier versions? Which setup 'just works'?

I'm going through this because I'd have to replace Windows Media Center once I'll upgrade to Windows 10 on this machine. The one thing I really understand is why I never went through this before and paid a few bucks for the Windows Media Center edition upgrade on Windows 8.1. Although it's quite clueless as a Video library, at least TV works reliably with only minor setup.
(2015-08-06, 01:59)EricNL Wrote: I reverted to MediaPortal 1.12 and Kodi 14.2, installing SqlExpress 2014 to satisfy the db dependency. All on the same machine.

And yes I don't get TV on the main screen and I get disconnections and warnings as documented above. Should I revert to even earlier versions? Which setup 'just works'?

I'm going through this because I'd have to replace Windows Media Center once I'll upgrade to Windows 10 on this machine. The one thing I really understand is why I never went through this before and paid a few bucks for the Windows Media Center edition upgrade on Windows 8.1. Although it's quite clueless as a Video library, at least TV works reliably with only minor setup.
No TV on the main screen - which skin?
Where do you see those discontinuties when you cannot access the tv section in your skin? Have you tried the preview within MP TVServer configuration?
I picked the 4:3 default skin, since right now I only have such a screen connected. I mean there is nowhere in Kodi to go to watch TV. I would expect TV to show up alongside Music, Video, Pictures, Programs and System right when you start Kodi and it would be reasonable to be there even if there was a problem with the plugin, whatever skin I picked as long as that skin is reasonably complete, since the PVR plugin is enabled and configured.

Then as said I get the "MediaPortal PVR Client - Connection lost" messages about every 10 seconds.

The preview in MP works. With MP I can watch TV, but the UI is awkward and doesn't have EPG, so is at best not quite ideal as a PVR.
The MediaPortal TV server works best with MySQL.

You can install the current release of MediaPortal 1 (1.12.0) and it works fine. You do need the plugin from http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg...rxbmc.html and this needs configuring.

If all else fails, post debug logs and you might get more help.
I don't think it's the database that's my problem though.

I've been on that page and scanned the versions, but there's none for MP 1.12.

If I Download v1.10.0.128 (MediaPortal Extension Installer): MediaPortal TVServer Kodi Server plugin for MP 1.10.x from that page and go to Add-ons, Install from zip file, I get the error "Add-on does not have the correct structure".

Would I need to downgrade Kodi from 14.2? Or MP 1.12? To what version?
(2015-08-06, 17:04)EricNL Wrote: I don't think it's the database that's my problem though.

I've been on that page and scanned the versions, but there's none for MP 1.12.

The one for 1.10/1.11 still works fine for 1.12.

Quote:If I Download v1.10.0.128 (MediaPortal Extension Installer): MediaPortal TVServer Kodi Server plugin for MP 1.10.x from that page and go to Add-ons, Install from zip file, I get the error "Add-on does not have the correct structure".

That would be because this is a plugin for MediaPortal, not for Kodi.
Eeww okay my bad.

MediaPortal Extension Manager link in Start Menu to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\MpeInstaller.exe"

The type initializer for 'MpeCore.Classes.VersionProvider.MediaPortalVersion' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Common.Utils, Version=1.12.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'MpeCore.Classes.VersionProvider.MediaPortalVersion' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Common.Utils, Version=1.12.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
at MpeCore.Classes.VersionProvider.MediaPortalVersion..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at MpeCore.Classes.VersionProvider.MediaPortalVersion.Validate(DependencyItem dependency)
at MpeCore.PackageClass.CheckDependency(Boolean silent)
at MpeCore.Classes.ExtensionCollection.Hide(Boolean onlystable, Boolean onlycompatible)
at MpeInstaller.MainForm.SetFilterForKnownExtensionsList()
at MpeInstaller.MainForm.MainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.6.79.0 built by: NETFXREL2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MpeInstaller
Assembly Version: 1.12.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.12.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Team%20MediaPortal/MediaPortal%20TV%20Server_BACKUP_08-06_1-56/MpeInstaller.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
MpeCore
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Team%20MediaPortal/MediaPortal%20TV%20Server_BACKUP_08-06_1-56/MpeCore.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Utils
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Team%20MediaPortal/MediaPortal%20TV%20Server_BACKUP_08-06_1-56/Utils.DLL
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Let me just ask, how do I install that plugin?

I can actually start MediaPortal Extension Manager. But I downloaded a .zip from the link mentioned and the program needs an .mpe1. If I go ahead and select All Files then select TVServerKodi-1.10.0.128.zip it'll get another JIT exception saying it's missing Ionic.zip. Could not load file or assembly 'Ionic.Zip, Version=1.7.2.18, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=edbe51ad942a3f5c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I couldn't find anything but a static list of already installed extensions on the Plugins tab of TV Server Configuration.

Now I can copy the DLL in the zip to the right location (from the Installer{CopyFile} folder), but I'm not quite sure that's all needed to set it up properly.
(2015-08-06, 17:50)EricNL Wrote: Let me just ask, how do I install that plugin?

I can actually start MediaPortal Extension Manager. But I downloaded a .zip from the link mentioned and the program needs an .mpe1. If I go ahead and select All Files then select TVServerKodi-1.10.0.128.zip it'll get another JIT exception saying it's missing Ionic.zip. Could not load file or assembly 'Ionic.Zip, Version=1.7.2.18, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=edbe51ad942a3f5c' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I couldn't find anything but a static list of already installed extensions on the Plugins tab of TV Server Configuration.

Now I can copy the DLL in the zip to the right location (from the Installer{CopyFile} folder), but I'm not quite sure that's all needed to set it up properly.
Take another browser to download the file! It has definitely the extension "mpe". I've just tried it.
Or download the real zip version, stop TVServer service and extract the "TVServerKodi.dll" from subfolder release to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\Plugins\
Restart TVServer service, go into the TVServer configuration tool and check the plugin settings.

Edit: i wonder what makes it so difficult. Are people to lazy to read: http://kodi.wiki/view/MediaPortal

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up KODI/Media Portal: "Connection Lost" error1