Setting up KODI/Media Portal: "Connection Lost" error
To be fair, the page has a zip file and a mpe1 file

Direct link

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7249985/xbmc/tvs...0.128.mpe1

If you can't start the MediaPortal extension manager, you probably have a messed up install. First step is to install the MediaPortal TV server on your server. The best way to test this (IMO) is to also install MediaPortal. Once you get everything working fine with MediaPortal, you can install Kodi. It won't matter that you also have MediaPortal installed.
(2015-08-07, 00:55)mcelliott Wrote: To be fair, the page has a zip file and a mpe1 file

Direct link

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7249985/xbmc/tvs...0.128.mpe1

If you can't start the MediaPortal extension manager, you probably have a messed up install. First step is to install the MediaPortal TV server on your server. The best way to test this (IMO) is to also install MediaPortal. Once you get everything working fine with MediaPortal, you can install Kodi. It won't matter that you also have MediaPortal installed.
Your direct link will also end in a zip file if he still uses Internet Explorer Wink
I preferably wouldn't suggest to install the MediaPortal frontend. The directshow codec configuration and that stuff
is too much hassle for most WMC switching people.
I have it working now, thanks for the quick replies!

Mmm, yes, it sais mpe1 if I hover over the link. I put the file there myself and that worked.

Well, I didn't start where you go straight to because you know. I literally went to kodi.tv clicking download and downloaded the current release. Then I had no idea it didn't come with any TV tuner interfacing in the box and my question here was which one I should be using. It is now my understanding that v15 doesn't work at all with any MediaPortal and maybe even not with any TV tuner software. I'm not going to try soon. I'm fed up right now installing and uninstalling stuff I don't know works or that I really need.

For one: I ended up with UltiDev Web Server installed. So I can now run %windir%\system32 as an ASP.NET 1.1 app with only two clicks. Awesome. But there's no sign of it in Programs and Features, so no easy way to get rid of it. What is it a part of? Not Kodi. Maybe MediaPortal 2? Or the DVBLink plugin? Who do I bash on its head for being stupid enough to pack that?

Wrt Kodi, maybe the project is too big, maybe most people don't have tuners, maybe most developers don't like writing (or reading) docs, maybe getting TV from a USB stick is really wicked hard, I'm not judging. But I think the current docs, release and setup experience together call for a feature freeze and getting quality up. I'm a savvy user (but perhaps slightly spoiled and lazy) and I would probably in the end have it working all by myself, so really big thanks for the timely responses, but it'd have been so much nicer if I could point my mother to kodi.tv and have her upgrade her home...you see my point? The instructions would have to be....4 screenshots focused on getting her to run the .exe from the browser, with red circles around where to type kodi.tv and each button to click. Okay maybe that's an ideal world, but hey, it really sais choco install xbmc and it really doesn't work.

I might get involved at some point, or build something on top of some of the components. But Kodi would be much more awesome if there'd be more focus on making it easier. I'm doing this on a fresh Windows 10 box, which isnt activated, so I have to redo it at least once. Sure now I know how it works, but I'd really like to do choco install xbmc, copy 1 config file and watch TV...
Oh BTW I switched back to IE. Chrome destroys my battery and uses half a gig for a single simple page. And Edge...ok, yes Edge, not IE. Edge is faster than Chrome. I kind of like it. But yes, it's slightly lame to rename upon download. I sent a frown Wink
(2015-08-07, 02:02)EricNL Wrote: It is now my understanding that v15 doesn't work at all with any MediaPortal and maybe even not with any TV tuner software.

I am using Kodi 15 with MediaPortal as the TV server. It works fine on Windows, and also on Raspberry Pi. There is definitely not a fundamental problem.

I did see the connection lost error at the start, but after a couple of reboots it fixed itself and I haven't seen it since. My gut feeling is that something isn't getting saved the first time. Once I got it working, I was a bit reluctant to risk breaking it by checking further.
UtilDev Webserver is installed with Argus.
Argus isn't listed either. I downloaded from ultidev.com, upgraded then uninstalled. That works.

I might go try, seeing my setup of 15 probably wasn't working due to MediaPortal missing that plugin and seeing recording kind of sucks in the setup that I have now.

The way recordings work is extremely confusing, with about 6 items listed for each program I instructed to be recorded. They appear to be programs adjacent to the one I want to record. And those programs that were recorded all weren't recorded completely, sometimes in multiple pieces but still not all of it.
(2015-08-07, 16:35)EricNL Wrote: Argus isn't listed either. I downloaded from ultidev.com, upgraded then uninstalled. That works.

I might go try, seeing my setup of 15 probably wasn't working due to MediaPortal missing that plugin and seeing recording kind of sucks in the setup that I have now.

The way recordings work is extremely confusing, with about 6 items listed for each program I instructed to be recorded. They appear to be programs adjacent to the one I want to record. And those programs that were recorded all weren't recorded completely, sometimes in multiple pieces but still not all of it.
Google says Ultidev is also installed with Nextpvr...
I don't understand what you are saying about schedules and recordings. Can you post some screenshots of this?
For MediaPortal please read this: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIA...rver_Setup
I've been using MediaPortal 1.x for many years now - it's a great platform for my needs. In fact, I was one of MPs contributors for several years (mainly core UI and skin integration). I decided to take a look at Kodi as the front end while keeping the MP TV server in place. The XBMC/Kodi front end for PVR has really matured over the past few years (awesome!)

I installed all the pieces per the instructions and immediately ran into the "Connection lost" problem. After looking around and not finding any definitive answers (and not having solved the problem) I started down a debugging path. First stop, execute the debugging advice in the MP TV Server plugin distribution readme. That's as far as I had to go. Pulling up a telnet session to the Kodi MP TV plugin and executing the commands in the readme seems to have corrected the local client problems that resulted in the "Connection lost" issue.

TL;DR, - execute the telnet commands in the Kodi MP TV server plugin readme.

Hope this helps someone.
Good to see you here Andy Wink as you will see, I've also jumped ship!

I find that putting the IP address of the server into Kodi rather than the name makes a difference. I know it shouldn't, but I just make sure my server is assigned a fixed IP address.

Mark

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up KODI/Media Portal: "Connection Lost" error1