Linux TVHeadend 4.x PPAs don't have i386 builds.
I have a Pentium 4 media centre and I wanted to to upgrade to the latest most stable TVHeadend.

Guess what? i386 builds for TVHeadend 4.x are not on the PPA anymore!

I compiled and packaged it myself because I know how to but bad luck
if you are a new user who does not know (or could be bothered) learning
how to compile and package TVHeadend.

Apparently public server time is the issue.

Anyway, what I want to know is how I can automate the process of compiling
and packaging process when a new stable version is released and only recompile
and repackage if a new stable verson is released.

By the way, I am not happy with the descision to drop 32-bit Intel builds from the PPA.
Some pentium 4s are 64 bit.
Code:
lscpu
should tell you, but I can sympathise with not wanting to reinstall your OS unless really necessary.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You're not the only unhappy person, although I can't comment on the reasons to drop 32-bit builds.

The easiest way I can think of would be to clone the 4.0 repository, then regularly do a git pull and see what that returns. If any files have been updated, you can then trigger a rebuild - if you're on a Debian-based distro, use Autobuild.sh to generate a deb file and dpkg -i to install it.

I suggest you raise an issue on the tvheadend tracker if someone hasn't already logged it.
(2015-07-02, 19:49)Prof Yaffle Wrote: You're not the only unhappy person, although I can't comment on the reasons to drop 32-bit builds.

The easiest way I can think of would be to clone the 4.0 repository, then regularly do a git pull and see what that returns. If any files have been updated, you can then trigger a rebuild - if you're on a Debian-based distro, use Autobuild.sh to generate a deb file and dpkg -i to install it.

I suggest you raise an issue on the tvheadend tracker if someone hasn't already logged it.

Thanks Prof Yaffle.

I worked out how to do the git pull after reading the
Code:
man git
page.

I looked in the TVHeadend forum and someone asked the same question and the responses are difficult to
accept and quite frankly a cop out. Have a look at this:

https://tvheadend.org/boards/5/topics/16651

Not all 32-bit x86 CPUs are 10 years old what about the first Atom line. A netbook would be a great, power efficient, TVHeadend server.

So, for example, a new RaspberryPi comes out with a new ARM architecture and then support gets dropped for the old one
because of server time?

If I put the issue on the TVHeadend tracker and get the same response I would be livid as I have donated money to the project (what I could give at the time)
and to Kodi. I also try to help on the forums for both platforms when I can too.

I appreciate the work developers do to do open source projects but please don't assume everyone is going to throw away working equipment and has
the money to replace it every time a new CPU comes out.
(2015-07-01, 04:27)nickr Wrote: Some pentium 4s are 64 bit.
Code:
lscpu
should tell you, but I can sympathise with not wanting to reinstall your OS unless really necessary.

I have a 32-Bit one according to Intel ARK unfortunately.
I was discussing this with some folks on the tvheadend IRC channel earlier... the gap in various platforms is acknowledged, but a better way needs to be found to build the binaries for folks like you.

Not 100% sure what the conclusion is or will be, so don't assume that it'll all get sorted - but I think there is at least a recognition of the issue and an appetite to get you your 32-bit builds back.
Thanks Prof Yaffle

Even if they don't go on the PPA anymore, I would like to know how
to automate the following:
  • Do a git init then a git pull to update my local copy of the git repository.
  • If there is no changes don't compile and package.
  • If there is changes start compilation and packaging.
  • Then update to the new version via dpkg -i

I want to do this via a bash script and run it periodically to
to update TVHeadend when a new version comes out.

There has to be a way to do it, I have to do some reading.

I am learning new things about linux every day.

I appreciate the hard work the open source community puts
in.

Kodi and TVHeadend are great and work well together.
TVHeadend still compiles and runs well on the old box!
I'd need to try it, but flounder around a bit with this:

1. Clone the code (you don't need to fork it unless you want to submit patches): git clone [email protected]:tvheadend/tvheadend.git
2. cd ~/tvheadend (assuming that's where you put it)
3. git checkout release/4.0
3. Build it with Autobuild.sh -t <target>, e.g. Autobuild.sh -t precise-i386
4. Install it with dkpg -i *.deb

Then, to update, you won't need to the first step again. Instead, you'll have a script that does something like:

1. cd ~/tvheadend (assuming that's where you put it)
2. git pull
3. test the output
3a. if nothing has changed, stop
3b. if anything has changed, rebuild: Autobuild.sh -t precise-i386 && sudo dpkg *.deb

You need to watch the debs, so *.deb is a bit blunt as it will install ANY and ALL deb files in that directory - including previous builds - so you probably want to clear those out first, and then only install tvheadend*.deb (which will install both deb files that Autobuild generates: the core code plus the debug symbols).

Now, the real challenge is "3. test the output". Some light reading for you:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3258...ull-needed

or https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1977...ell-script

Again, unless someone knows, you'll have to play a little (by running git pull and checking the return value to see what's true and what's false - do you get a true result if you pull successfully even if there are no changes, for example).
Or you can just download an i386 *4.1* deb from here:

http://apt.tvheadend.org/unstable/pool/m...tvheadend/

... but that's likely to cause some breakage at some point, as they're automated/nightlies.
(2015-07-03, 16:45)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I'd need to try it, but flounder around a bit with this:

1. Clone the code (you don't need to fork it unless you want to submit patches): git clone [email protected]:tvheadend/tvheadend.git
2. cd ~/tvheadend (assuming that's where you put it)
3. git checkout release/4.0
3. Build it with Autobuild.sh -t <target>, e.g. Autobuild.sh -t precise-i386
4. Install it with dkpg -i *.deb

Then, to update, you won't need to the first step again. Instead, you'll have a script that does something like:

1. cd ~/tvheadend (assuming that's where you put it)
2. git pull
3. test the output
3a. if nothing has changed, stop
3b. if anything has changed, rebuild: Autobuild.sh -t precise-i386 && sudo dpkg *.deb

You need to watch the debs, so *.deb is a bit blunt as it will install ANY and ALL deb files in that directory - including previous builds - so you probably want to clear those out first, and then only install tvheadend*.deb (which will install both deb files that Autobuild generates: the core code plus the debug symbols).

Now, the real challenge is "3. test the output". Some light reading for you:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3258...ull-needed

or https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1977...ell-script

Again, unless someone knows, you'll have to play a little (by running git pull and checking the return value to see what's true and what's false - do you get a true result if you pull successfully even if there are no changes, for example).

(2015-07-03, 16:48)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Or you can just download an i386 *4.1* deb from here:

http://apt.tvheadend.org/unstable/pool/m...tvheadend/

... but that's likely to cause some breakage at some point, as they're automated/nightlies.

When I have some time, I will try to do a bash script to automate this.

I have read those articles on stack overflow, very useful!

I have to do a bit of scripting and testing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TVHeadend 4.x PPAs don't have i386 builds.0