Easiest way to delete ENG Subtitles in SRT File?
Hey guys

My main mission at the moment, is to try to somehow get my media box to play movies and automatically show only foreign language subtitles
but so far I havent been able to get this to work

I googled and found this addon called Language Preference mod, but the mod looks like its only out for Frodo and Gotham, and I have downgraded to both Frodo and Gotham and I still get Script errors when running the addon

So another way, which is more work for me, is to manually delete all the english words in the SRT subtitle files

but whats the easiest way to do this? Can I somehow copy all the text from note pad into some sort of program that can automatically select all the english words for me so I can then delete them? I dont really want to go through the whole script for every movie myself
It's typically one subtitle per language, so just delete the whole srt file for movies that are already in english. Language Preferences should work in Kodi v14, though.
(2015-07-01, 12:04)Ned Scott Wrote: It's typically one subtitle per language, so just delete the whole srt file for movies that are already in english. Language Preferences should work in Kodi v14, though.

Well problem is, some parts of the movie are in a different language and I want only those parts to come up with subtitles

I get script failures with Kodi version 14.2
KODI isn't going to know what language is being spoken on the screen. The fault is really with your subtitles. The only way you're going to solve your question is by editing the subtitles or getting them from a different source.

Open up the file in Notepad++ or other text editor. You'll see it is fairly easy to understand. You'll need to delete the translations from here you don't want leaving only the foreign languages translated.

This isn't too hard to achieve. While watching the film have a notepad to hand to write down the start and end times of any foreign language sections in the film. This will then let you scroll to the relevant parts of your subs file and chop out the bits you don't want.
OK

but that kind of sucks, its a lot of work and it requires you to watch the film first. When Watching the film I kind of want to relax and enjoy not take notes etc

I thought thats what the Language Preference Manager Addon would allow me to acheive this automatically with a few settings changed, but I cannot get the add on to work yet, I just keep getting script failures
The problem is that you've got the hearing impaired subtitle track in the SRT file, however it sounds like what you want is the forced subtitle track for only when either foreign/alien dialogue is spoken. You either need to re-rip the subtitles to get the correct subtitle track or download the correct track from one of the subtitle services.
I would trash the existing subtitle file and download one that is for "forced" subtitles, which is what you want. Kodi can even download the subs for you. See subtitles (wiki) (a little outdated) and HOW-TO:Set up subtitle services (wiki).
thanks ned
(2015-07-02, 10:51)Ned Scott Wrote: I would trash the existing subtitle file and download one that is for "forced" subtitles, which is what you want. Kodi can even download the subs for you. See subtitles (wiki) (a little outdated) and HOW-TO:Set up subtitle services (wiki).

Hi Ned

I have enabled a subtitle service on both Default TV and Movie from subtitles.org in Settings > Video > Subtitles

Do Subtitles.org provide Forced Subtitles?
Do they label the forced subtitles differently? How does one tell if they are forced or not?
Cheers for any help
You are not going to find an easy solution to this (especially automated). As indicated above, having only forced flags for your language preference in the setting (with the subtitles disabled by default) is the recommended way.

First, it depends on where you got the movie file from. Some sources will have the forced subtitles merged into the video itself and this does not require a subtitle track. There is nothing you can/have to do about it.

If the mkv or mp4 has an internal subtitle track, Gotham onwards will recognize the forced flag and automatically use it. Just make sure you have set the preferred language in the settings.

If you are getting an external subtitle track, the file name will need to have forced in it for Kodi to force subtitles. This may or may not be done depending on where you got it from. You cannot rely on it. If you get an external track and you would like it to be forced, just rename the file as described in the link below.

See http://kodi.wiki/view/Subtitles#Using_Forced_Subtitles for some related info

You can determine if a track is forced or not via programs like Handbrake without having to play it.
(2015-07-03, 09:03)Drekko Wrote: Hi Ned

I have enabled a subtitle service on both Default TV and Movie from subtitles.org in Settings > Video > Subtitles

Do they label the forced subtitles differently? How does one tell if they are forced or not?
Cheers for any help

I did a quick test and they seem to provide forced subs. They should have "forced" somewhere in the name.
(2015-07-04, 07:37)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-07-03, 09:03)Drekko Wrote: Hi Ned

Cheers for any help

I did a quick test and they seem to provide forced subs. They should have "forced" somewhere in the name.

cheers mate

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Easiest way to delete ENG Subtitles in SRT File?0