Edimax EW-7811UAC - 5ghz network issues
Pi2
EW-7811UAC adaptor

Having an issue with this adaptor on OpenElec 5.0.8 (I can test a nightly to see if the issue still exists). When connecting to the 5ghz network, it connects fine, until you reboot.

After it boots up, I go into the connections screen and it says "State : Failed", if I tell it to connect again, it works.

I've tried setting the 'wait for network' option, but it still doesn't work. On the 2ghz network, it works flawlessly. Figured I'd post this thread as many others have the same issue with this adaptor.

I read somewhere about it being a driver issue and it being the vendors fault for not giving out the USB IDs for new products. Is this something I can extract and provide somewhere?

Thanks,
Bleddyn
(2015-07-01, 14:27)bledd Wrote: I read somewhere about it being a driver issue and it being the vendors fault for not giving out the USB IDs for new products. Is this something I can extract and provide somewhere?

Paste the output of "lsusb" and "dmesg | pastebin" as a first start, so we know which driver you are using.

It's possible you're using the RTL8812AU driver, and OpenELEC (even OE6 Beta 2) is using a source code repository for this driver which hasn't been updated in almost a year, however this repository is forked from another more active repository and it may be worth testing the 47 new commits that are in the forked repository.

Assuming your lsusb/dmesg results confirm you are using the RTL8812AU driver it may be possible to create a test Kodi 15.x build with a driver from the more active repository and see if your problems are fixed. If so, I'll see if OpenELEC are willing to switch to the more actively maintained repository for this driver.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@bledd: Please still post the lsusb/demsg output, but if you want to test a bleeding edge build of OpenELEC 6/Kodi 15 with updated RTL8812AU driver, do the following:

1. Upgrade to a Kodi 15 Test Build by downloading the tar from here, copying the tar file to your Update folder and rebooting. Confirm you still have 5GHz WiFi problems with this build (you should do).

2. Assuming you still have 5GHz WiFi issues, repeat the upgrade process with the test build from here, as this build includes the updated RTL8812AU driver. Confirm if this build has 5GHz WiFi problems.

If the second build works better than the first, then it's a good motivation to switch the repositories for your driver in future OpenELEC releases.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks for the lengthy responses.

lsusb
demsg

These were run through Putty whilst connected via the 2.4ghz network. Do you want me to run those commands when I'm connected to the 5ghz network?

I'll run some testbuilds tomorrow.
Yes you're using the rtl8812au driver. Try the two builds and see if there's any difference between them.
Thanks, I will test these this evening.

The support for this project is second to none!

Another donation coming your way.
Annoyingly, it seemed to work near perfectly on a fresh install. On 5.0.8 from about 15 reboots, it only failed about 2 times on the 5ghz network.

I ran the latest test build and couldn't get it to fail.

As a test I then updated my current install (which is having the issues) to the builds that you suggested. I could not get 5ghz to come up after a reboot with the latest build or the special build.

I don't have many modifications or addons installed at all. IR GPIO and that's about it.

Is there a folder for network settings that I can clear out to reset network settings?
The latest build has the same driver as 5.0.8 so I can only imagine this is a configuration issue. Try deleting/renaming .config, .cache and .kodi folders so that you have a "clean" install. Or grab a fresh SD card and test with that.
Is there a certain file location which stores the network settings?

I'm not alone with this issue..

http://openelec.tv/forum/88-wlan/75407-e...mitstart=0

I don't mind just removing the config files etc, but it would be great to find a specific fix for it Smile
If you rename those folders rather than delete them, you can restore them once you've completed your test.

Unfortunately beyond providing a build with updated drivers I'm not really able to help diagnose specific wireless problems.

I'm not entirely sure for wireless, but wired network settings are in .cache/connman - within this folder you'll find additional folders based on your MAC address containing your network settings.
Hello,

If you lost connection only after reboot.
Try the following way. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2002080

Quote:Ok, I tested that and is worked great.
1.Step --> deactivation wifi-standby
Code:
https://gist.github.com/maoueh/8260199

2. Step --> set hardcoded wificonnection after reboot
https://gist.github.com/maoueh/8260199

Quote:
nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh
and insert line :
connmanctl connect wifi_0013ef20018a_4d6f7111_managed_psk

3. Step (two is better) -> autoreboot every day midnight
http://openelec.tv/forum/134-usage/70755...ot-working
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Autostart.sh

Quote:
crontab -e
and insert the following lines:
*/1 * * * * -1 ping <ip-address router>
0 0 * * * reboot
@reboot connmanctl connect wifi_0013ef20018a_4d6f7111_managed_psk
(2015-07-03, 15:31)bledd Wrote: Is there a certain file location which stores the network settings?

I'm not alone with this issue..

http://openelec.tv/forum/88-wlan/75407-e...mitstart=0

I don't mind just removing the config files etc, but it would be great to find a specific fix for it Smile

Any progress with the updated driver?
I bought the edimax EW-7811UTC which uses the same chipset and have got it working okay on the latest kodi 16 test build.

The problem I had was the connection kept dropping and then wouldn't connect. I tried kodi 15 first and then 16 as recommended by milhouse but with the same result. This is on 5Ghz wireless ac.

In my routers settings (asus rt-ac68u) there is an option to have it wireless N only on 5Ghz. With this set it works well so it is the wiress ac thats the problem. The only problem is you will only connect at 150Mhz but at least you can run on 5Ghz.
@rob77: Did the following special build with updated drivers make any difference? It's a Pi2 build (based on #0701) - this updated driver is not in regular test builds.

http://milhouse.openelec.tv/builds/testi...6e5cfe.tar
Hi Milhouse

Sorry I did not try that build. I have the latest 0708b installed and thought that had the updated driver. I will test it now Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Edimax EW-7811UAC - 5ghz network issues0