embedded subtitles issue
There is one thing I don't understand with Kodi! I have subtitle in all my movie files and the strange thing with All Kodi version that I have tested so far is that, It's supposed that Kodi detects the embedded subtitles in the movie file but sometimes I need to run the movie before it can determine if there is subtitle embedded inside the movie file. Its like sometimes it scans correctly and sometimes it fails with scanning the movie file.
How are you checking if the movie has embedded subtitles before you play it? Maybe there is an issue with certain types of subtitle encoding within the files. On Windows you can use an application called Mediainfo to view information about the various streams contained within a file.
(2015-07-02, 22:12)kricker Wrote: How are you checking if the movie has embedded subtitles before you play it? Maybe there is an issue with certain types of subtitle encoding within the files. On Windows you can use an application called Mediainfo to view information about the various streams contained within a file.

Thanks for your reply and correcting me Smile I'm actually using Mediainfo. But the strange thing is that it works sometimes. i.e if I scroll through my movie list, some of my movies will not show the embedded subtitle until I have started the movie and when I do that I can go back to the list and then its updated.
I could be wrong, but if you don't use nfo it's a normal behavior. Until you launch a movie at least one time, Kodi as no way to know which streams are embeded in the container.
But again i could be wrong.
I don't even see an indicator that any of my movies have subtitles. What skin are you using that shows this info? I do believe Namoi is correct. I think the only thing Kodi does is scan the file to create a thumbnail image if needed. I'd have to check on that to confirm though. If you see that is not the case, then see if there is a pattern to which files show the embedded subtitles without playing them first and see what the subtitles are encoded as.
(2015-07-02, 23:18)kricker Wrote: I don't even see an indicator that any of my movies have subtitles. What skin are you using that shows this info? I do believe Namoi is correct. I think the only thing Kodi does is scan the file to create a thumbnail image if needed. I'd have to check on that to confirm though. If you see that is not the case, then see if there is a pattern to which files show the embedded subtitles without playing them first and see what the subtitles are encoded as.

I'm using Aeon MQ 5 skin with latest Kodi 15 RC1. Up in the corner you can see subtitles and audio track for each movie with this skin. I don't have so many movies in my list and I cant either see any pattern why it randomly works sometimes. I have only a few movies and all of them have *.srt subtitle embedded with UTF-8.

So if I create nfo files with this subtitle info it will help me, to me this seems to be a bug.
If it is just for that info it will be a lot of hassle IMHO because you will have to add all the other stuff too in them.
A solution would be maybe to export your library, then modify the nfo, and reimport it... but next time you add a movie you will have to do it again.
It's also why it's great to use a media manager from the beginning.
Make sure extracting info is turned on: Settings/Videos/File lists (wiki) -> "Extract thumbnail and video information"

Kodi will try to load this information in the background when you are viewing all of your media, so you don't have to open each one.
(2015-07-04, 09:33)Ned Scott Wrote: Make sure extracting info is turned on: Settings/Videos/File lists (wiki) -> "Extract thumbnail and video information"

Kodi will try to load this information in the background when you are viewing all of your media, so you don't have to open each one.

Thanks a lot for sharing this info, it seems that it was already enabled in my case. I wonder if this is some kind of a bug!?, I mean if Kodi trys to load this in the background but fails for some media files!

EDIT: I also found that for those movie files that it already founded the embedded subtitles, if I for instance scroll up/down several time in my movie list it can sometimes drop the info and show nothing but if I repeat this procedure it will show the subtitles again.
What type of files are these, the stream details extraction will only work on files such as avi and mkv, it won't work however on iso files.
(2015-07-04, 12:33)jjd-uk Wrote: What type of files are these. the stream details extraction will only work on files such as avi and mkv, it won't work however on iso files.

No these are only mkv. and I have tested external app such as mediainfo and mkvtoolnix to read the embedded files inside the mkv container. for subtitle I can see that they are *.srt and with UTF-8

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
embedded subtitles issue0