Thread Closed
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0)
(2015-09-13, 02:39)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-09-13, 02:17)afremont Wrote: To build the stuff for the Pi2, would I use a command line like this:
PROJECT=RPi2 ARCH=arm make release (or image I assume)
Do I use the same value for ARCH as I would for the original Pi, or do I need to put in something like armv7 for the ARCH= part?

"PROJECT=RPi2 ARCH=arm" is correct when building RPi2.

(2015-09-13, 02:17)afremont Wrote: I promise not to bring my own self-inflicted problem to the forum and I'll try not to bother you about this, though I would like to know what is involved with what you do for the nightly builds (selecting patches and having them included in the build). Just trying to learn something here. Smile

To get started with how I build, see here. The build scripts, patches and configuration files are included inside each release tar. Alternatively the scripts and config files can be can be downloaded as a separate tar file - this tar file is updated after each upload, so will always be the "latest" version (it doesn't include the patches as these can be regenerated easily enough).

Probably best to start a new thread if you want to discuss build issues or how my scripts are used. Please read the various "README" files in the tar file - they could be better but they do contain some useful information.

(2015-09-13, 02:17)afremont Wrote: I also presume that you don't compile all of the addons yourself, but get (at least some of) them in object (binary) form from the authors. I'm speaking specifically about the MythTV PVR Client.

The PVR clients are all compiled from source during the build.

Okay, thanks very much for that. I didn't even think to look in the tar file for information, I just assumed that it only contained the "aftermath" of the build process. I've been doing some reading, but you know how that goes. There's a ton of outdated info scattered around the net that just confuses things more than it helps. I've found the openelec wiki stuff on building basically for x86 and some information on elinux.org of all places that helped me get started on compiling for the RPi. After just "going for it", I figured out that arm is the only ARCH you can use for RPi2. Things in the Linux world are a lot more idiot-proof than they were 20 years ago, but then they're way more complex as well.

I guess I'll create a new thread in the forum to document my progress and pain in case anyone else decides to embark on this adventure for themselves. I'm not good at taking notes for myself, and I always pay for that later one when I decide to get back into something again. At least scrawling it out on the forum might help me in the future if not anyone else.

I'm glad that the addons are compiled during the process as I want to add some useful (to me) information to some error messages that I get at my house that relate to unprintable characters encountered when parsing the guide information. There's also a kodi bug in channel changing when going from one sub-channel to another. I put in a bug report at the request of the addon author, but it's not getting any hits yet after two weeks. Maybe I can track it down and hack in some kind of fix and "force" someone with more experience to fix it the right way. Wink

A couple of years ago, I built the AOSP project (jellybean) for my Nexus 7 tablet and hacked in a touchscreen firmware update process so that I could make it usable. I recently built the lollipop release, but haven't had the nerve to flash it in because so many people have experienced sudden death after the OTA update, so I'm considering building a later kit-kat version and going that route. This is all because I wanted the experience again and I need an updated libstagefright so that I can get hardware MPEG2 decoding going with interlaced video for kodi. Right now, I have to disable libstagefright to make it work. There's some kind of buffer allocation size issue with interlaced video that results in a mess on the screen. But I digress....

Thanks again for your pointers, I'll be off now to start piecing the puzzle together. I look forward to more input from you in my new thread. I appreciate all that you do, GREATLY! Smile
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
  Thread Closed

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Messages In This Thread
RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0) - by afremont - 2015-09-13, 03:08
Bluetooth on #1003 - by cdvreede - 2015-10-13, 11:08
Re: RE: Bluetooth on #1003 - by Milhouse - 2015-10-13, 13:24

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 16.0)510