Win How do you ensure you have proper subtitles?
Sometimes I have a movie I am watching, and a part will come up where they speak (enter random language here) but no subtitles pop up. Even if subtitles are are set to "forced" or "english" sometimes I just dont have them at all.

Is there a way I can maybe download them ahead of time and marry them up to the video file to ensure I will always have subtitles? or Is there an even better way?
The only way is to indeed download them and see for yourself.
Some hints :
Check the framerate of your movie using mediainfo.
Check the description and the added date of the sub (ie don't download a sub for your blu ray 23,976 rip if the description is for examle xvid rip, dvd 25 fps rip.... and so on).
One good software is filebot as you can preview the sub.

But if you ripped your bluray you should have the sub already don't you ;-)
Where do you download subs, is there a good resource for this? Also is there a way to have kodi scrape for subs automatically?

Yes I must be doing something wrong when I rip my blurays Wink Something I will probably never be able to fix so I will need to find an alternate way.
Use the soft i told you. It will grab them for you, extract them and preview them.
If you want it the hard way :
Opensubtitle.org or podnapsi.net are among the best. They are others too.

If you do it from kodi it will grab them from there too but it won't be able to check if they really match as for doing so it would be necessary imo to catch the first spoken line time and the last one and compare them with the subtitles available. Not impossible, but propably a hard job though.

There are also a hash mechanism for this but it means first the sub must have that info provided and second that the movie has been hashed which of course depend of the rip but again if your did your rips yourself, the hash will be most likely different....
Great info thank you so much. So the filebot software does it do the check to make sure it all sync's up? is there a way to ensure it only gets "forced" subtitles? I dont want subs during the whole movie only when other languages are spoken.
No, it does no check this but it's much faster than maually downloading, extracting and testing them.
For the forced subs i don't know, but a good way to check is by the size of the files. Foreign only subs have generally just a few lines so their size is some bytes, or a few kb. A full sub is much "bigger".
And btw, what you are looking for are Foreign Only Sub, not Forced Sub. We can force any sub.
But it seems this naming is more or less a kind of convention.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you ensure you have proper subtitles?0