"best" Rpi2 distro
(2015-09-09, 00:50)Steve_uk Wrote: I've just looked on that squeezebox server for instance and looks good but I can't actually work out what I would use it for.

If you have one or more Squeezebox clients, then a Squeezebox Server is handy to have around.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
@Milhouse - at the risk of going a bit off-topic, would you be willing to share a little more detail on what you have on your server Pi2?

I have something similar (although mine is on my old Pi1 which used to be my Kodi Pi until I upgraded to a Pi2) which runs Raspbian as an OpenVPN and get_iPlayer box (dumping to my NAS), and after seeing your comment about DNSMasq now also sports an caching and ad-blocking DNS server/filter too (this set-up).

All backed up by a Webmin dashboard set-up to control everything (the Pi is headless - accessed via Webmin, RDP and SSH as required).

All running fine, but I'm always interested to see if there are any other useful things that can be added in to improve my network set-up, or that are just cool. No need for NAS or anything like that (I already have a WD NAS box feeding the media Pi2), but always interested to find out other great stuff to add.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2015-09-09, 10:35)DarrenHill Wrote: @Milhouse - at the risk of going a bit off-topic, would you be willing to share a little more detail on what you have on your server Pi2?

Just a standard Raspbian installation, to which I uninstalled X11 and all related GUI apps as it runs entirely headless.

I've installed Transmission, Sickrage, Squeezebox Server, dnsmasq (for DNS & DHCP), Cacti with Apache2 and MySQL for SNMP reporting, ghnotify.sh to send me email notifications of updates to repositories I'm following, and a task to automatically load new movies and tv show episodes as they appear (library scanning - with MySQL running on a NAS - followed by Artwork Downloader, conversion of remote artwork to local, artwork QA and finally caching on all clients etc.). And that's about it really.

Most of these services used to run on a dual core AMD64 tower until being replaced by a Pi1, now a Pi2.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks. Smile

Of those, Sickbeard (and now Sickrage as an alternative) is probably the only one that may personally be of interest, and is on my to investigate list. I have access to Transmission, Squeezebox Server and MySQL on my NAS box (WD MyCloud Mirror) although at the moment I don't have need for the first two anyway.

Your GHNotify script could come in handy too for some other Github stuff I follow (non-Kodi), will have to consider that a bit too.

Anyway it's a fun little side-project to re-use the old media Pi1 as a home server, and to find all these little gems that can be added to it.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
+1 for OpenElec
+1 OSMC
(2015-09-11, 12:12)Claudio.Sjo Wrote: +1 OSMC

+1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"best" Rpi2 distro0