Switching to UBUNTU
Well... like I said, no ability to boot USB without lots of issues so, OpenELEC isn't being considered at this point. I tried last summer to install Win7 from USB and after finally getting it to boot the USB it was slow and had problems, had to retry 3 times. It was just easier and faster to load off disc. Motherboard is about 8-10yrs old. Too bad OpenELEC didn't have a burn to disc ISO image like pretty much everything else does. Smile

Kodibuntu seems like a good option, but, as I said before the fonts were so insanely small on screen, I don't know what options there are in the OS. Looked like a login window but, couldn't read it and couldn't get past it.

Ubuntu also seems a fair option since I tried it from DVD as well and works fine. I'm Googling to see how I can get the HP iR Receiver to work on it. IF it works is one question, HOW is the other. Found a few references online, but all based on the premise that the person already knows the ins/outs of Ubuntu, but, there are references so seems an option.

Operating System: Win7 64-Bit Pro w/SP1
System: Intel Core2Quad 2.67Ghz Q9450/ 4GB PC6400 DDR2 Memory/ Asus GTX 650 Ti BOOST OC 2GB
XBMC Build: KODI 14.1
Remote: Sony Remote (RM-VZ320) and HP Receiver (5188-1667)
Display: 40" Sony Bravia HDTV
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
Firgured the tiny font issue out... I think when it saw both screens (PC and TV) it treated it as 1 big screen and scaled the font based on that. But since 2 screens, the font was super small. Unplugged the TV to force it to just the PC and it was fine.

When I exited to Kodibuntu, it was a login window that was up. Googled and found that the username is kodi, password blank... put that in and it just launches back into Kodi.

I'm not really seeing how to install any 3rd party software like LIRC from the OS screen in Kodibuntu.
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
I am pretty sure lirc is installed anyway. Instructions for logging in involve choosing a different session from the menu at top right of the log in window.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Cool, thanks... was confused for a bit because only login I could find, basically relaunched KODI so saw no way to install a remote. I'll give the session thing a try tomorrow.

Have another week before I can build my new system (motherboard on back order) so just getting info now.

I'd like to try that OpenELEC but, again, USB on this is a pain, and not going to try it until everything backed up and new computer running. Big Grin

Sadly, EventGhost is a no go, Windows only. Shame, it's such an easy app to use and setup. When it comes time, I'll unhook the 2 x 3TB drives, and just have the 250GB primary in the system to test with. That way I can't wipe my stuff out, because even though I have mirror copies on externals 3TB drives, it's USB and takes a LONG time to transfer back.
You don't need eventghost on linux.

Good idea to disconnect the data drives.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
i would agreee with gfisher personally. As a convert this year from windows I have found Xubuntu to be the best lightweight distro. This does allow a more complete, user friendly experience with the ability to boot straight to kodi without any other interference. However, depending on your knowledge of linux, you will most likely need to upgrade your kernel to a new kernel after installing linux and probably install an updated xserver-xorg file if you use xubuntu 15.04. I prefer 15.04 because following the above simple steps offer perfect video playback using my ancient intel cpu. I would also recomend using the latest release candidate of Isengard.

Also, as a convert, I can say that the above simple steps can be tricky if you have zero linux experience.

And I'm sure that the boys in the lab here can help with your reciever.

Also, I would like to point out that Fritsch here helped me out enormously (taught me to compile for a start) and i'm sure you won't regret the change to linux at all. I miss nothing from windows now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Switching to UBUNTU0