• 127(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
You did not - cause the howto does _not_ use Ubuntu Mate _at all_ - you use the packages from the howto, yeah - but that's it.

Now to your issue:
Your issue is known and not fixed by intel: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=88012

Solution: Install a kernel 3.16.x (yes an old and outdated one).
Code:
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.16.7-utopic/linux-headers-3.16.7-031607-generic_3.16.7-031607.201410301735_amd64.deb
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.16.7-utopic/linux-headers-3.16.7-031607_3.16.7-031607.201410301735_all.deb
wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.16.7-utopic/linux-image-3.16.7-031607-generic_3.16.7-031607.201410301735_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i *3.16.7*deb

Then you need to make sure that grub boots exactly this kernel. This is an issue on all Baytrail Quad core systems.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thnx fritsch one can count on your knowledge as usual Wink
Yeah - though this solution sucks - you can also try to rebuild kernel 4.3 with the patch that we ship in OpenELEC: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/...urbo.patch

using make oldconfig and fakeroot make-kpkg -j4 --initrd --append-to-version "-byt1" linux-image linux-headers

will build you the kernel. Before you need to download kernel 4.3, unpack it and apply the above patch (cat | patch) ...

You manage this?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'll see if I can manage. Sound doable, if I struggle you will notice
Yeah - you can just visit me in #xbmc-xvba on freenode after 8 pm UTC and I can help you.
@fritsch
First I would like to thank you for your amazing work, I really would like to be as good as a half of you in those things! Though I keep practicing!!!

Was wondering if this new HW, beautiful solution from my point of view, would benefit of your Openelec "special release".

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...5cpyh.html

Isn't it a wonderful piece of HW?!!
Lol :-) see first page. It's the same as the Beebox - will work fine.

Btw. _all_ ever released Intel hardware with vaapi profits from this new method. See post 1.
(2015-11-04, 08:34)fritsch Wrote: No - not supported. Build it yourself - I don't plan at all to rebuild kernels whenever something stable changes - I gave a howto some pages back. You are welcome to do that yourself - I don't like lazy users.
Thanks for info, no problem at all. I wanted to ask where i can find raw patch for passthrough but now i know it from one of your latest posts. So everything is clear and right now i'm compiling my 4.3 kernel (vanilla 4.3.0 with few IMHO important patches from OpenElec github) :-)

BTW your Linux master branch has all the OpenElec patches applied? How is it different from vanilla kernel?
No - as you directly see when you press on commits. I only use the passthrough patch - my kernel repo is not up2date.
I've decided to use few more patches which looked to me as important generally or for BeeBox hardware (Nuvoton IR, MCE remote, HDMI audio etc.). My list of patches is as follows:

linux-003-no_dev_console.patch
linux-011-Thermal-initialize-thermal-zone-device-correctly.patch
linux-012-Thermal-handle-thermal-zone-device-properly-during-s.patch
linux-013-Thermal-do-thermal-zone-update-after-a-cooling-devic.patch
linux-054-nuvoton_revert_d7b290a1056c5564eec8a1b169c6e84ff3.6.114c13.patch
linux-057-Removed-MCE-customer-code-restriction-in-rc6-decode.patch
linux-990.06-hda-Avoid-outputting-HDMI-audio-before-prepare-.patch
linux-999.02-0001-pm-disable-async-suspend-resume-by-default.patch
linux-999-i915-implement-passthrough-colors.patch
linux-999-i915-use-legacy-turbo.patch

My custom kernel is compiled (i've taken config from your rc7), booted and works, so far everything is OK. So if you're interested i can send it to put on your website and maybe someone else would use it.
Nope - building a kernel is for personal education :-) - so you can mark that task on the TODO-list as done.
Rather redone - i'm Linux user for at least 20 years and in the past i've compiled kernel maaany times on many architectures ( for example i've hacked first divx players from brands like KiSS - internally the used Linux as well). But last few years with Ubuntu as mostly desktop user made me so lazy ;-) (and tools have changed also)
I'm seeing sporadic flickering display at all times using OpenElec builds, both Isengard and Jarvis. It seems like a driver issue, the flicker starts with the openelec logo, before X has even loaded. It almost looks like the GPU is overheating. Is this a known issue?

I was using a build from 10/04 [1] before I saw the issue, but didn't upgrade until 10/26 [2], so the regression could be anywhere in that (very large) window. I'd be happy to try to bisect if archived builds are available. Reverting to the 10-04 build or the official OpenElec fixes the issue.

Hardware is an ASUS Celeron chromebox 2955U, connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR.

[1: OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20151004165234-r21363-gd89c515]
[2: OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20151025194904-r21541-gda1b74a]
Not that this helps much but I have used a lot of builds including all the ones you mentioned and I have an Asus chromebox like you and a Denon AVR going to a projector but I have not experienced anything like what you mentioned.
I have an asus chromebox too, no AVR, just connected to a monitor for now. Never experienced any flickering either on either Isengard or Jarvis.
  • 127(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18