• 332(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2018-12-23, 08:56)wsnipex Wrote: you don't have the Intel gfx driver installed, libva seems to be the wrong version..
In short, you didn't follow the howto
 The gfx driver was not installed. Thank you very much! 
But i have followed the complete tutorial 3 times and it didn´t work for me with i5 9600k.
With i5 4000 series and amd 5600 it worked perfectly.
The problem with i5 9600 has been solved with this commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade -y

and this was ubuntu 18.10, not 16.04 Smile

happy holidays and thank you so much for your help!
Hi! I have  miniPC on Intel atom Z3735D.  I installed Ubuntu server 16.04 on it following the instructions from the topic's header with some changes. Used instead of Leia 18 Krypton 17.6 stable from official PPA, launched it in standalone mode without openbox, update driver from repo ppa:wsnipex/vaapi Finally, everything seems to be working fine. But when watching video cpu usage is about 70-80% and above . Pressing "O" on keyboard i can see that video-decoder is ff-h264-vaapi(HW). Is this cpu load normal for this processor?
(2019-01-22, 19:22)achilles_85 Wrote: Is this cpu load normal for this processor?
I'd say so. Probably the higher the combined bitrate, the more work has to be done by the CPU/GPU combo.

It's a 5-year old Baytrail chip, so it does have some hw acceleration capabilities, but it is still an Atom chip. Meaning, one at the bottom of the list, with the least overall 'grunt' in cpu and graphics power.
Thanks for the answer. The first time I use kodi, and therefore had nothing to compare.
Help please with one more thing. Since i run Kodi without openbox, autostart with systemd service looks like:
bash:

[Unit]
Description = Kodi Media Center
Requires = dbus.service
After = systemd-user-sessions.service sound.target network-online.target

[Service]
User = kodi
Group = kodi
Type = simple
PAMName=login
ExecStart = /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/kodi-standalone -- :0 -nolisten tcp vt7
Restart = on-abort
RestartSec = 5

[Install]
WantedBy = multi-user.target
#!/usr/bin/env bash
OUTPUT=`xrandr -display :0 -q | sed '/ connected/!d;s/ .*//;q'`
xrandr -display :0 --output $OUTPUT --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

The problem is that I don't know how to switch TV to full range without autostart script of openbox. Creating .xinitrc with 
bash:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
doesn't work.
Your usecase is not supported as kodi as WM is not supported.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2019-01-24, 07:45)fritsch Wrote: Your usecase is not supported as kodi as WM is not supported.
The only possible option is to use the openbox?
PS I create systemd service running this script
bash:
#!/usr/bin/env bash
I can run it manually after kodi started, but automatically this service doesn't start, in journalctl show error that it cannot open display
Two probably-dumb questions:

With kodi v18 now released is there anything in this howto that should not work with the stable version?
Is it possible, or advisable, to go from v18 nightly build to v18 stable?
Nope, just go. I will change the ppa line on first page the next days.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Fantastic guide, I was able to get Kodi up and running on Ubuntu 18.04 in very short order.  I have one small issue; when attempting to use the shadertoy visualization I'm getting the following errors in kodi.log:

18:46:39.810 T:139633208292288 WARNING: Unable to resolve: visualization.shadertoy.so.1.1.5 ADDON_GetTypeVersion, reason: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/addons/visualization.shadertoy/visualization.shadertoy.so.1.1.5: undefined symbol: ADDON_GetTypeVersion
18:46:39.810 T:139633208292288   ERROR: Unable to resolve exports from dll /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/kodi/addons/visualization.shadertoy/visualization.shadertoy.so.1.1.5

I've included all of the logs requested from the first post:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/CgxhBZ2tFW/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/tzrsR7BcCm/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/dCxXZFpvBT/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/xbqD6xqSCS/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/7DwhJ6rkph/
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/N8PvKXDPCC/

I also did a google search of the site for "ADDON_GetTypeVersion" (including this very thread!) but wasn't able to find any conclusive answers.
shadertoy and e few other visualizations are currently broken, it's being worked on
(2019-02-09, 08:39)wsnipex Wrote: shadertoy and e few other visualizations are currently broken, it's being worked on
 Got it, thank for the answer!  I thought perhaps I had done something incorrectly.
Hi all,

Stupid question: Is this guide applicable for a NUC8i5BEH? It has an Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 GPU.
Yes, you can use it as a base. Though: You might need: a never kernel (ubuntu mainline) including newest linux-firmware and I suggest a mesa stable ppa for such new machines.

Everything doable with three commands.
Wow, thank you for the quick reply and thank a lot for all the effort you put into this.

I will try to follow your advice tomorrow. For today i just followed the guide in the first post and most of it works (boots into kodi etc) but as soon as kodi is started all my cpu threads climb to 90+ procent. Also i dont have any options except the 20% within the "rendor method menu"

Thanks again and if it doesnt work tomorrow I will upload the requested log filesSmile Smile
  • 332(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18