• 62(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-09-17, 09:03)fritsch Wrote: @VirtualRain: Everything is fully explained in the very first post. Even with nice pictures ...

Quote:- In setting up OpenElec / Kodi to get proper video levels (16-235) I had to disable the "Prefer VAAPI render method" setting in Kodi. I see that setting is recommended here. Is that bug fixed?

^^ You did not even try to read the first post ...

Quote:- What is and is not HA on Haswell with this Alpha? (No HEVC? What else?)
All fine ... besides no hw decoding unit for HEVC

Quote:But how can I tell if I'm getting perfect sync or not without sync to display enabled?

If you don't see an issue - then there is no issue for you.

I did read the first post and digested as much as I could Tongue

That's where I saw you recommend VAAPI render method in conjuction with video levels setting. Or did I misread that?

As for pros/cons, everything comes with compromises of some kind, I'm just trying to understand what I might be in for. It's also not clear what the benefits are for regular x264 content. Are there any or is this just about HEVC and 4K! Just trying to be clear about what benefits/compromises I'm looking at.

Sorry if I seem like a noob, your knowledge is deep in this area, mine... Blush
Quote:For those that may need to see a before and after, Here is the standard OpenElec build"Top" vs. fritsch and company's (New Era Of VAPPI) build "bottom".

Banding is just about non-existent, what is left could be the monitor I'm using.

And black level's on crappy office monitor and office lighting:

^^ does this answer the question

Edit: Yes, this is fixed - no need anymore to copy the decoded material with the cpu - the vaapi render method can be used without issues.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you. I re-read the first post again, and figured you were addressing this in the second paragraph about scaling to RGB. Thanks for the gradients... That looks exciting! Hopefully will look as good on my Sony x850C TV. Smile I will give this a try on the weekend.

Appreciate all the great work you and other members of the community do!
Don't forget the second post - there is the xrandr thingy you need to do manually ... the rest works out of the box.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
New builds online, rebased PVR API, so seo's addons will be installable again.

Btw. the next days will get very rough for this code as a lot of architectural changes will come in. So take care with upgrading.
(2015-09-17, 09:17)fritsch Wrote: Don't forget the second post - there is the xrandr thingy you need to do manually ... the rest works out of the box.

Right. I'll be using the OpenElec package... I gather that Xrandr thingy forces the Intel GPU to pass the full range without conversion so you don't lose any BTB or WTW? Or do I misunderstand?
(2015-09-17, 09:18)fritsch Wrote: New builds online, rebased PVR API, so seo's addons will be installable again.

Btw. the next days will get very rough for this code as a lot of architectural changes will come in. So take care with upgrading.

Do you advise waiting for a week or so before jumping in then? Or just "Giver!" Big Grin... What are your thoughts on timing getting into this? I'm not in a rush, but interested to check this out if it's not going to lead to a bunch of issues.
(2015-09-17, 09:18)fritsch Wrote: New builds online, rebased PVR API, so seo's addons will be installable again.

THX MAN!!! Updating NOW! Smile ..
(2015-09-17, 09:30)VirtualRain Wrote:

Do you advise waiting for a week or so before jumping in then? Or just "Giver!" Big Grin... What are your thoughts on timing getting into this? I'm not in a rush, but interested to check this out if it's not going to lead to a bunch of issues.

Use the Isengard build, which is provided as is and will have max compatibility with kodi 15.2 and OpenELEC 6.0.
Hey Fritsch,

PVR-Clients are installable now ... But there is no picture coming up ....

LOG: http://sprunge.us/PPUS

excerpts from log:

Quote:09:43:10 T:139923826874112 ERROR: OutputPicture - failed to configure renderer
09:43:11 T:139923826874112 WARNING: CRenderManager::Configure - timeout waiting for configure
Most likely a current rebase issue - won't have a chance to take a look before tonight.

@FernetMenta: Forgot to pick something while rebasing?
(2015-09-17, 10:12)fritsch Wrote: Most likely a current rebase issue - won't have a chance to take a look before tonight.

Ok, no problem! Smile
Thank you fritsch! will look foward to use the new build with working pvr functionality
(2015-09-17, 09:15)VirtualRain Wrote: Thank you. I re-read the first post again, and figured you were addressing this in the second paragraph about scaling to RGB. Thanks for the gradients... That looks exciting! Hopefully will look as good on my Sony x850C TV. Smile I will give this a try on the weekend.

Appreciate all the great work you and other members of the community do!

If the X850C is a Sony UHD set like mine, then you may find one of the techniques mentioned in this thread doesn't work. This is because newer TVs like the Sony correctly interpret Info Frames in the HDMI signal, so can't carry Limited range video with a GPU that thinks (and signals) it is running in Full range.

This means the xrandr "Full" + 16-235 level setting within Kodi won't work properly, as instead of thinking the input is "Limited" the new Sony TV sees the HDMI infoframe saying "I'm Full Range" and thus treats the input as 0-255 not 16-235, but because the video within the signal is actually 16-235 (just incorrectly flagged as 0-255 for the few displays that interpret those flags) it goes wrong and you get set-up (i.e. grey) blacks, and desaturated colours.

In this situation you have two options. Stick with Full level output (not an issue if you switch between Limited and Full sources with an AVR as this should pass through the info frames that the TV follows), however disable the 16-235 settings in Kodi, and run with dithering enabled to help mask the banding otherwise caused by 16-235->0-255 range extension, or run the HDMI output in "Limited" mode (i.e. don't do the xrandr thing to change the GPU output range) and also make sure Limited levels in Kodi are disabled but again ensure dithering is enabled to hide the banding.
(2015-09-17, 10:37)Engelsen Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 10:12)fritsch Wrote: Most likely a current rebase issue - won't have a chance to take a look before tonight.

Ok, no problem! Smile

Yeah it's already fixed in fernet's master ... sadly - the rebuild has to wait.
  • 62(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18