• 74(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-09-22, 13:19)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-09-22, 13:13)Sunflux Wrote: Wow, how did I miss this thread? The banding was always a serious annoyance to me - such that I'm using the CPU copying method and have forced limited range color spaces.

With a standard Celeron Chromebox, and assuming I wanted to stick to a relatively stable OpenElec build that's not likely to mess up my current installation... will the Isengard builds on the first page work? Are any of them actually an update?

No they are posted just4fun to fool others and waste their and my time :-). And the date timestamp, which is from one day before yesterday is also faked ... When you upgrade to the provided .tar your chromebox will burn ...

Well, I just wasn't sure if it would actually do anything / have any benefit on low-end Chromebox hardware (ie. no HEVC support), and I also wasn't sure if it could be applied as a standard update without issue, or needed a fresh installation.
Mmh, if you would read the first post again, could you tell me if I could have missed something there concerning features?

I think the resolved banding, the less pressure on resources (Fan noise) are reasons enough ... You can easily upgrade with the supplied .tar: http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/openelec/isengard/ - _if_ you are already running 5.95.5 without any changes ...

Do me the favor and also read the second post concerning the Color Settings that you might have to do in OpenELEC (one setting) dependend on if your TV is Limited or full range.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Yes, I was just checking that out. Currently to avoid banding, I'm doing the following:

* Not using the VAAPI copying method.

* In autostart.sh, I force full color space.

* In Kodi settings, I enable limited color space (to fix up the dark GUI - has no effect on video).

* In my television, I force limited color space.

This has the effect of leaving limited range videos as unchanged limited range while being sent over a full range color space. This would normally make blacks grey, which is why I force the TV back into limited range. Using the CPU copying method, this prevented any color space conversions and prevented banding from occurring.

You state: No adjustment of autostart.sh for full range is needed anymore - it is done automatically Check your "Use Limited Range setting" if you feel everything is too dark.

Now, assuming my TV stays fixed to "limited" color space (needed for my other CE devices on the same input, and I don't trust the reliability of its automatic detection), am I safe letting Kodi go back to automatic operation (remove the autostart.sh line?) Or, should I force it into Limited space via autostart, or does the Kodi menu option do more than just adjust the GUI now?
I wrote a systemd service that sets the screen to full range automatically. No need for autostart.sh hacks.

Btw. I described this in detail here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2109014

Only thing you need to do: "Use Limited Range" in kodi ... and keep Prefer VAAPI Render Method _ON_ - as it is also described in the first post ... and was explained at least 5 times throughout this thread.

Start reading here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2109014
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Okay, as usual you're right! Upgraded fine, VAAPI enabled, graduations look flawless just like I had before, but now with an even more power efficient method.

On one sample 1080p file, CPU copying uses around 8-14% CPU power, but just 2-8% with VAAPI.

Must say... Kodi/OpenElec appliances are basically my favorite tech devices out there! Between all the customizations, hacking my display EDID, modifying Confluence to include home menu options for my security cameras (and putting the year of a movie on the pop-up info bar - why isn't this done already??)... it performs better than any other media solution out there!
(2015-09-22, 14:08)Sunflux Wrote: Okay, as usual you're right! Upgraded fine, VAAPI enabled, graduations look flawless just like I had before, but now with an even more power efficient method.

On one sample 1080p file, CPU copying uses around 8-14% CPU power, but just 2-8% with VAAPI.

Must say... Kodi/OpenElec appliances are basically my favorite tech devices out there! Between all the customizations, hacking my display EDID, modifying Confluence to include home menu options for my security cameras (and putting the year of a movie on the pop-up info bar - why isn't this done already??)... it performs better than any other media solution out there!

Btw. as you are a new tester right now. Your screen also goes blank every some seconds while watching something?
Assuming a few minutes watching is enough, no, not so far.

However has something changed with lipsync? Did you remove OE's internal 175ms delay?
Yes - cause some users here said: It's not needed anymore. You still need it?

In cause you need it, put it to /storage/.kodi/userdata/advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<video>
  <latency>
    <delay>50</delay>
    <refresh>
      <min>23</min>
      <max>24</max>
      <delay>175</delay>
     </refresh>
  </latency>
</video>
</advancedsettings>
Tried last Jarvis release maybe update first page and add PVR addons are incompatible. Back to older release.
Yup, seems like the 175ms is still needed for me. Put it back in, and everything's fine again.

(Not sure I need the default 50ms delay - is that a stock OpenElec item?)

I think some users have *never* needed a delay on 24hz material (even before now), although no one has adequately explained why. At least as far as my experience, I need it on this Marantz Receiver + Sony TV combo, and in another room I also need it on a Marantz Receiver (2 different models built 7 years apart) and Pioneer TV combo. I've also needed a similar delay on a Dune media player, so Kodi is not unique... but do not need it on a PS3 playing Blu-rays, or a Sony dedicated Blu-ray player. Strange, huh?
(2015-09-22, 14:38)aesthetiker Wrote: Tried last Jarvis release maybe update first page and add PVR addons are incompatible. Back to older release.

The ones from this morning? They should work -as the bump is already in. Make sure you tried the latest and greatest ...
(2015-09-22, 14:38)Sunflux Wrote: Yup, seems like the 175ms is still needed for me. Put it back in, and everything's fine again.

(Not sure I need the default 50ms delay - is that a stock OpenElec item?)

I think some users have *never* needed a delay on 24hz material (even before now), although no one has adequately explained why. At least as far as my experience, I need it on this Marantz Receiver + Sony TV combo, and in another room I also need it on a Marantz Receiver (2 different models built 7 years apart) and Pioneer TV combo. I've also needed a similar delay on a Dune media player, so Kodi is not unique... but do not need it on a PS3 playing Blu-rays.

Yeah - same here with my Marantz. I will drop this removal then and will readd it. I plan to do a final Isengard build when kodi release 15.2 and OpenELEC release version 6.0
(2015-09-22, 13:20)fritsch Wrote: Did you try to set it to blank and reset its settings to default?

Yes, i tried all screensaver's options (Disable, dim, black etc.) even installed two more from OpenELEC repository - no luck.
Running right now Ubuntu 15.04 with KODI - no probs (except the problem with PVR add-on)
(2015-09-22, 14:44)exploit Wrote:
(2015-09-22, 13:20)fritsch Wrote: Did you try to set it to blank and reset its settings to default?

Yes, i tried all screensaver's options (Disable, dim, black etc.) even installed two more from OpenELEC repository - no luck.
Running right now Ubuntu 15.04 with KODI - no probs (except the problem with PVR add-on)

Cool or not cool :-) Perhaps a custom setting was hosed ... I will report back on my system tonight.
EDIT: Ok update over ssh works! New Image up and running.All PVR add ons are in the gui on status invalid

Ok that could be the problem. I can't install the latest error invalid. dependencies not satisfied. Tried to install from .zip same issue. Thank you for any tips.

(2015-09-22, 14:40)fritsch Wrote:
(2015-09-22, 14:38)aesthetiker Wrote: Tried last Jarvis release maybe update first page and add PVR addons are incompatible. Back to older release.

The ones from this morning? They should work -as the bump is already in. Make sure you tried the latest and greatest ...
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18