• 25(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
(2015-08-21, 15:41)Roby77 Wrote: maybe a 4k source downscaled to 1080p is better than 1080p 1:1
or not ?

where do you think the 1080p file comes from to begin with? Smile
no i was speaking about for example

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man...B00BPA2P9I

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/w...difference

or for example take big bunny scaled from 4k but we are ot here
nvrmind
(2015-08-21, 16:53)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-08-21, 15:41)Roby77 Wrote: maybe a 4k source downscaled to 1080p is better than 1080p 1:1
or not ?

where do you think the 1080p file comes from to begin with? Smile

There are potential advantages in playing back a 4K file and downscaling rather than playing a pre-downscaled 1080p file that was originated 4K.

This is because the compression artefacts on the 4K file will be in the 4K domain, and so they will be less visible, and when the downscale to HD is performed, some of them will be rendered even less visible. The 1080p file will have 1080p 'sized' artefacts which could be more visible.

However down-scaling cleanly to avoid aliasing is a non-trivial exercise, so it has to be done well to avoid introducing artefacts of its own. (When broadcasters started producing in HD, they discovered that downscaling HD to SD was trickier than upscaling SD to HD.)
yes i agree

@fritsch why don't you link your version on oe forum to spread testing ?

(i can't test here cause my holiday tv is a really old lcd)
With the last updates from the wsnipex ppa I get artifacts during zapping channels in live TV with the vnsi addon, just like it has happend always with xvdr. It is of course only a cosmetic problem.

Gerald
(2015-08-21, 11:33)negge Wrote: Just tried this on a Thinkpad T450 (Broadwell) connected to a Samsung U28D590D while playing Tears of Steel (very high bitrate H.264 4K video). Everything works perfectly (except for display rate switching on this particular screen, it only supports 60 Hz):

(click for full size)

If you want even higher bitrated movies, there are some out there at http://4ksamples.com/ .
The fireworks video one for example : http://imgur.com/5J3aUVW

BTW, no need for photos from your phone/camera. Just press the PrtScn button in OpenELEC, there is a folder called 'Screenshots' where those pics are stored. Smile
so much temptations i installed oe version Big Grin

I can't give a really a feedback until i reconnect my chromebox to my panasonic and denon

Bug: i discovered that if i seek to a percentage of a video i see sometimes artifacts and after 4/5 tries the screen freeze and i need to disconnect the power cause restar doesn't work

percentage mod:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1961956

if interested i can try to make a log

I noticed also that the first time to set vaapi motion for sd content i need to restart cause the voice wasn't present (aeon nox skin)

Edit:
grayramp test ok
black clipping ok
(2015-08-21, 11:33)negge Wrote: (very high bitrate H.264 4K video). Everything works perfectly (except for display rate switching on this particular screen, it only supports 60 Hz):

I don't have your monitor and maybe it's more complicated depending on how dp gets 60Hz but generally -

If your monitor has HDMI it may be worth plugging something and saving a copy of xrandr --verbose to see what modes it offers.

My monitor (acer gd245hq) doesn't mention 50Hz modes over DVI so I owned it for ages before I used HDMI and noticed that it did do 50HZ over that.

Now If I want 50Hz via DVI I just add a new mode with xrandr and it works fine.

Just as an example here's what I do, you would of course have to look at the details of modes offered over HDMI and use your output names as shown by xrandr.

Code:
xrandr --newmode "cea-50" 148.50 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +HSync +VSync
xrandr --addmode DVI-D-0 "cea-50"
xrandr --output DVI-D-0 --mode "cea-50"
Hi,

I just install this on my Chromebox, and its a big improvement! since i installed Hyperion for my Ambilight I got laggy playback from time to time, this is completely gone also the PQ is much better.

Only thing is that the Autostart command did not work for me. I added
Code:
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
to the autostart.sh but if I do xrandr --prop after a reboot it shows Broadcast RGB: Automatic, and the Picture looks kinda Milky. So i search around the web and found a post in the openelec forum where someone using a xrandr command with & at the end, so I added & to the autostart.sh
Code:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full" &
and no it works after a reboot.

My question is what does the & change, I'm a noob when it comes to stuff like this it was just try and error, and im glad it worked now Blush

anyway thanks for the Work
the & means run the command in background and do not wait until it terminates. I very much doubt that this makes any difference for xrandr, as it will terminate almost instantly anyway.
+1
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
+1 asus chromebox and no problem

(i feel that movie cover are little bit dark but all avshd black test seems to be ok)
Thanks for the Info, so I keep it that way, and be a happy Cow Tongue
just curiosity (maybe all kodi version it's same and i nevern see it) but i noticed that during play movie if "call the menù ( that one for audio/video/subtitle etc) the brightness raise up a little bit ( using xrandr full and dither 8)

i also noticed in video menù that brightness and contrast are now adjustable but i suppose that is better to adjust them in tv settings or not ?
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18