• 63(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
Can you say why the rebuild has to wait? Thanks in advance.
Cause I am working? Kodi is my freetime ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
For sure! :-) Ok has to wait until you find time. Perfect! i thought there is technical reason for it.
Hello,
I fail to understand the OpenELEC facility that normally seems so simple.
I use as an HTPC asrock beebox N3000, and when OpenELEC installation via a bootable key, it appears on the screen "failed to start xorg"
I can not find the solution alone
Can you help me?

Thank you
(2015-09-17, 12:08)fredya Wrote: Hello,
I fail to understand the OpenELEC facility that normally seems so simple.
I use as an HTPC asrock beebox N3000, and when OpenELEC installation via a bootable key, it appears on the screen "failed to start xorg"
I can not find the solution alone
Can you help me?

Thank you

You are in the absolute wrong forum thread. You use OpenELEC 5.0.8 - and this is not the support pot for OE users that can't read the first post. All versions provided in this thread work without issues (concerning HW support) on Braswell hardware.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Okay. Let's do it differently. I will stop providing OE builds. As this thread is for testing technologies - in the future only people that are able to use the ppa - are welcome to test daily Jarvis builds. All others can switch to the provided OE isengard build, which is provided as is. I will build a final Jarvis build tonight, so that you get your PVR functionality back.

But this thread killed my developing time too much the last days. It is explicitely _not_ made for leechers and we have too many of those.
really sad but i understand your decision
(2015-09-17, 12:13)fritsch Wrote: Okay. Let's do it differently. I will stop providing OE builds. As this thread is for testing technologies - in the future only people that are able to use the ppa - are welcome to test daily Jarvis builds. All others can switch to the provided OE isengard build, which is provided as is. I will build a final Jarvis build tonight, so that you get your PVR functionality back.

But this thread killed my developing time too much the last days. It is explicitely _not_ made for leechers and we have too many of those.

Very very sad ....But like Roby said I can definitely understand your decision, too ...

But thx in advance for the tonight's build ... Smile
Very sad. Thanks for the hard work! Can you describe how build a jarvis image? I had a ubuntu machine and build-tools are installed. I allready clone the FernetMenta/xbmc git. Thank you very much. I want to use it in openelec not directly on the ubuntu os.
(2015-09-17, 13:23)aesthetiker Wrote: Very sad. Thanks for the hard work! Can you describe how build a jarvis image? I had a ubuntu machine and build-tools are installed. I allready clone the FernetMenta/xbmc git. Thank you very much. I want to use it in openelec not directly on the ubuntu os.

First and 2nd post of thsi thread.
(2015-09-17, 13:23)aesthetiker Wrote: Very sad. Thanks for the hard work! Can you describe how build a jarvis image? I had a ubuntu machine and build-tools are installed. I allready clone the FernetMenta/xbmc git. Thank you very much. I want to use it in openelec not directly on the ubuntu os.

If i give you webspace could you share your build to me ?
Sad indeed but no better time to learn. I can build OE all day long but haven't a clue how to rebase etc and I assume you won't be keeping the jarvis-egl repo up to date for OE?

Maybe I will move away from OE and go with a full blown setup but it just works currently and I don't "need" more in the theater.

Either way - thanks for all the work Fritsch and all it's much appreciated! Hopefully someday soon this gets into OE mainline
Nope not really. This is for Ubuntu and running Kodi on the full blown Linux

(2015-09-17, 13:29)Ney Wrote:

First and 2nd post of thsi thread.
http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/openelec/

Changelog:
- VAAPI works again
- SW playback broken :-) but audio works.
Fixed, current branch: https://github.com/fritsch/OpenELEC.tv/c...jarvis-egl
(2015-09-17, 10:48)noggin Wrote:
(2015-09-17, 09:15)VirtualRain Wrote: Thank you. I re-read the first post again, and figured you were addressing this in the second paragraph about scaling to RGB. Thanks for the gradients... That looks exciting! Hopefully will look as good on my Sony x850C TV. Smile I will give this a try on the weekend.

Appreciate all the great work you and other members of the community do!

If the X850C is a Sony UHD set like mine, then you may find one of the techniques mentioned in this thread doesn't work. This is because newer TVs like the Sony correctly interpret Info Frames in the HDMI signal, so can't carry Limited range video with a GPU that thinks (and signals) it is running in Full range.

This means the xrandr "Full" + 16-235 level setting within Kodi won't work properly, as instead of thinking the input is "Limited" the new Sony TV sees the HDMI infoframe saying "I'm Full Range" and thus treats the input as 0-255 not 16-235, but because the video within the signal is actually 16-235 (just incorrectly flagged as 0-255 for the few displays that interpret those flags) it goes wrong and you get set-up (i.e. grey) blacks, and desaturated colours.

In this situation you have two options. Stick with Full level output (not an issue if you switch between Limited and Full sources with an AVR as this should pass through the info frames that the TV follows), however disable the 16-235 settings in Kodi, and run with dithering enabled to help mask the banding otherwise caused by 16-235->0-255 range extension, or run the HDMI output in "Limited" mode (i.e. don't do the xrandr thing to change the GPU output range) and also make sure Limited levels in Kodi are disabled but again ensure dithering is enabled to hide the banding.

My Sony TV is a 2015 UHD set. The TV has an HDMI setting for "Auto", "Limited", and "Full". Are you saying the TV ignores this setting, or it just doesn't work properly on "Auto"?

FYI, I've currently got things working with OpenElec 5 and Kodi 14.2 with Kodi set to 16-235 (and "Prefer VAAPI render method" disabled), No change to GPU, TV set to "Limited" where I'm getting proper preservation of levels without conversion... I can see blacker than blacks and whiter than whites making it easy to set my TV black level to reference black. Banding is minimal - better than when converting to full range but not as smooth as what I saw in a post on the previous page.

Quote:In this situation you have two options. Stick with Full level output (not an issue if you switch between Limited and Full sources with an AVR as this should pass through the info frames that the TV follows), however disable the 16-235 settings in Kodi, and run with dithering enabled to help mask the banding otherwise caused by 16-235->0-255 range extension, or run the HDMI output in "Limited" mode (i.e. don't do the xrandr thing to change the GPU output range) and also make sure Limited levels in Kodi are disabled but again ensure dithering is enabled to hide the banding.

Maybe I misunderstand, but in either of these scenarios, you're going to lose your BTB and WTW information. It's not just about banding. You need everything to pass through without levels conversion... player, GPU and TV. When any part of the signal chain does a conversion, 16 becomes 0 and 235 becomes 256 and you lose that extra dynamic range. Dithering is better than nothing, but no conversion is the ideal solution.

Does your TV not have a mode where it can be forced to accept 16-235 without conversion?
  • 63(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18