• 80(current)
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server
Cool - will have a look.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Watch those pics on a limited screen (obviously) as they are not scaled to full range anymore when the screenshot happens.

And finally my picture HSV stretched:
^^ Here you can see what would happen with old VAAPI ... by default if you ommit Dithering.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Curious to see on my plasma (that suffer of it's own of banding) with dither
On my TV it looks quite fine, but yeah looking at the screenshots on a full range display sucks. Also the kodi picture viewer sucks in that case ... as it will scale oviously twice.
So for the future: It is still Limited Range tunneled via Full Range - so a picture viewer that is scaling full range to limited range will produce something like this:
So, if i don't misunderstand (my english is really bad) are you saying that screenshot is not a good system to check banding, grayramp etc ?

I ask cause i posted this just yesterday in other thread that with 16-235 and tv limited on screen i see black 16 as black but in screenshot is grey
(white is another problem)
Yeah, you got that right. See the histogramm above it makes it clear. On a full rgb screen you will see grey.
(2015-09-24, 08:58)fritsch Wrote: Debug Log will tell ... no need for speculations ... would save me 10 posts per day ...

so save the planet and post debuglogs

Hi Fritsch,

I have uploaded the debug log

http://goo.gl/9evDLN

Regards

Thanks again for any input :-)
Quote:06:49:16 T:140497087416256 NOTICE: Contents of special://xbmc/system/advancedsettings.xml are...
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<advancedsettings>
<showexitbutton>false</showexitbutton>
<cputempcommand>cputemp</cputempcommand>
<gputempcommand>gputemp</gputempcommand>
<video>
<latency>
<delay>0</delay>
<refresh>
<min>23</min>
<max>24</max>
<delay>175</delay>
</refresh>
</latency>
<busydialogdelayms>750</busydialogdelayms>
</video>
<samba>
<clienttimeout>30</clienttimeout>
</samba>
<network>
<readbufferfactor>4.0</readbufferfactor>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

It's still there and not overwritten. So what was the issue?
Ok, So it looks like i'm saving it to the wrong spot on the machine? So do i need to replace / update the advanced settings.xml file in the //xbmc/system folder and remove the 175 delay?

Sorry to much you around, but i'm still a little new on using linux ;-)
Fixed!, thanks for the help, I read the debug log and saw the remapped folder address. All fixed, thanks for your help. Keep up the great work
(2015-09-24, 13:05)fritsch Wrote: Yeah, you got that right. See the histogramm above it makes it clear. On a full rgb screen you will see grey.

Ok thank you Blush
In that scene, I don't see any difference whether I have dithering enabled or not. Not sure why, but I'm not that keen to "add a small amount of noise" to the picture.

Anyways, my TV has a feature called "smooth gradation" that does a rather good job of smoothing out that kind of banding until you can't see it at all. Unfortunately, it also has a habit of smoothing away fine or subtle detail. Like in the screenshot of the girl in front of the building with the "X" architecture, a good number of the vertical window dividers vanish. Also, even though the whole image is blurry there (another complaint Blu-ray reviews have had), you can tell that her hair is reddish... but with the smoothing feature enabled, her hair goes basically black and white. So I keep it off.

Guess I'll just live with that kind of banding. It's better to assume that the video mastering on discs is more often good than bad, because if you assume they're always bad and mess around with the picture too much, you'll only end up wrecking the quality of the good ones.
Did you test the sample above? So - it's in the sample itself, right also according to your tests?
Not that specific sample file, but the same scene. I have my own rip of this movie, and I see the exact same banding with it (it's a problem with the original Blu-ray)... however, I tried enabling dithering, took a screenshot, disabled dithering, took another screenshot, and I see no difference between the two. At all. No smoothing or even noise for that matter.

At any rate - Kodi is not doing anything wrong here. The banding is in the source.
  • 80(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server18